• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

joshuaphill822

FY10 NFO selectee
Well after searching around on the web I found this site when looking on stuff about STA-21. Im currently a MM3 and just want to hear about any useful tips and where I can start, deadline, etc... thanks and good luck to everyone applying this year...

I got selected this year as a first time applicant for the NFO option and couldn't agree more about reading the instruction and website until you are the SME on the STA-21 program. The 1420.1 is under revision as it says on the STA-21 website, so if things differ between the website and instruction go with what the website says. The navadmin announcing the FY11 cycle won't be out for a couple of months, and that will have some specifics on deadlines and requirements, etc. But if you want to start now, some things to think about are: have you taken ACT/SAT in the past three years of the application deadline. If not, it's never too early to get a study guide and start prepping for that. If you are thinking about applying to the Pilot or NFO option, study/schedule/take the ASTB, and do well on it. Its not a hard test if you put in the time to study for it. If I remember correctly there are only three versions of the ASTB and the study guides you'll find are very similar to what you'll find on the test. FWIW I used the ARCO study guide. And finally, learn how to use the Search function on this website, lots of good gouge here. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

IrishSailor

6th year's a charm?
I can't wait! Putting a package together, interviewing with no less than 100 people, and above all else, waiting for months for the release of results. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the highlight of my fiscal year!

etspike

Lookin to apply FY-11 again. I was hoping to make the alternates list for FY-10, but with the way things went with my package, that was even a faint glimmer.

I have to admit though, I'm starting to do some serious research into NFO. Based on what I've read here, and what I've gleaned from whatever poor NFO's get stuck on watch with me, I'm seriously starting to think of it as my primary option for next year.

Congrats to those who were selected!

voodoo_curse

Apply, then what?

There's a couple things I can't seem to find a clear explanation of. Do I need to start applying to colleges now, or does that come after being accepted into the program? Will the tuition be in-state or out of state?

OscarMyers

None
There's a couple things I can't seem to find a clear explanation of. Do I need to start applying to colleges now, or does that come after being accepted into the program? Will the tuition be in-state or out of state?

Its a gamble, you can apply early and have all of your acceptance letters and degree plans ready to submit the day you get accepted. Or you can wait untill you get picked up to apply. This year the results came out pretty late so the guys who are attending the first NSI session are in the hurt locker if they didnt already apply. Im attending the may NSI so ive had plenty of time to get accepted and get my degree plans together. Its up to you if you want to spend the money on applications fees. If you dont apply to a school, definately have your schools picked out and transcripts sent, that stuff takes the longest. One thing i would suggest is do your commissioning/flight physical early, but make sure its less then a year old for when you plan to use it. Hope this helps

xtreme_rob

FY10 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
It is too early to apply for colleges. Worry about the strength of your package first, then once you are satisfied, start applying in the spring/summer. The semester you will need to be applying for, Summer/Fall 2011, is most likely not even open for application yet. You should "look into" colleges and decide where you think you want to go; then figure out when the application cycle begins for the semester you will need to apply for. If you are worried about adding a college acceptance letter to your package, DON'T. It really doesn't matter. I mean, it won't hurt, but it is not required and will have no weight in your selection.

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
Definitely second the part about late result and short time before Feb NSI to get your acceptance letter. It doesn't hurt to apply, because most school let you defer acceptance for up to an year. I also think it is likely that acceptance letter has no weight in your package. I didn't submit the ones I had because the instruction specificly said do not send degree plan and physical prior to results coming out.
I read somewhere about applicant fee refund for only the school you end up going to. So if you decide to apply to like 10 schools, that is a few hundred bucks out of your own pocket.

Its a gamble, you can apply early and have all of your acceptance letters and degree plans ready to submit the day you get accepted. Or you can wait untill you get picked up to apply. This year the results came out pretty late so the guys who are attending the first NSI session are in the hurt locker if they didnt already apply. Im attending the may NSI so ive had plenty of time to get accepted and get my degree plans together. Its up to you if you want to spend the money on applications fees. If you dont apply to a school, definately have your schools picked out and transcripts sent, that stuff takes the longest. One thing i would suggest is do your commissioning/flight physical early, but make sure its less then a year old for when you plan to use it. Hope this helps

davebomb25

You guys crack me up with all this talk about how the results will be out on the 20th!! Let's not give the FY-11 applicants any undue anxiety or raise their stress levels just yet. I hope what happened to us last year as far as late results doesn't happen this year again to you guys. Need any help PM me and I will do my best.

davebomb25

what is all involved with this? anything i should worry about? i have very good eyes.

I have done a lot of flight physicals because before I was selected I was a aircrewman/swimmer. Flight physicals can be done at almost every Naval installation that has aircraft/helo's stationed there. Look for aviation medicine dept at the clinic. A regular Navy Doc cannot do a flight physical, it has to be a flight surgeon that is actually assigned to a squadron. Best bet would be to find a squadron, ask a pilot or aircrew who their flight Doc is, and get their contact info.

About the physical itself, eyes are the key. For a student naval aviator physical (SNA) which is what you will be getting, make sure that along with a normal eye exam, that you get a cycloplegic refraction done as well (requirement thats easily overlooked and happened to me) and the results are put on your physical exam form, downloaded off the STA-21 website. Other that that, as long as you are healthy and meet the standards, you should be ok. For a list of disqualifying info and if you will require a waiver for any reason for SNA's go to:

http://www.med.navy.mil/SITES/NAVME...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Alrighty gents, better to get started sooner than later. This is my first year submitting. Good luck to all, let the games begin. Had a couple buddies last year that got picked up, and if they can do it, ANYONE can do it ! See you around the threads...

Manchester99764

Hello All,

Sorry to dissapoint but -- HM3 applying for STA-21 Med Corps option, first time. This seems to be one of the richest resources of information for STA-21 packages, so here I am.

I know theres a thread somewhere that had a whole bunch of personal statements from people who have been accepted in previous cycles, but I seem to have lost it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where the statements of people who have been accepted are at? Or for anyone who's been accepted and still has a copy, PM it to me? I've been working on my package for a few weeks now, waiting on transcripts and to take my SAT / get results back. Also, what's a competitive SAT score? I know the minimum is 1000, but i'd prefer to make the competitive score my minimum goal.

I only have 2 PRT's on record right now, one being a Sat High and the most recent being a Good-Low. As I was wrapped up in academics and work I failed to find enough time to PT. Now that I have things under control i've improved vastly since my last PRT -- Should I wait for the next PRT cycle to route my package up?

I also only have 2 eval's on file, one transfer eval (C-School) and an eval from my current command. (EP, 4.17 PMA with reccomendation for officer program). I know E4 Evals are due 15Jun, would I be better off waiting for my next eval before I submit, or submit it early? My package will be ready long before then, but I fear it would look fairly weak with only one observed eval.

Look forward to helping those who I can, and the help that will be provided by all here. Thanks guys and gals.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I know theres a thread somewhere that had a whole bunch of personal statements from people who have been accepted in previous cycles, but I seem to have lost it. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where the statements of people who have been accepted are at? Or for anyone who's been accepted and still has a copy, PM it to me?

Are you referring to your personal statement? If so, then you're missing the point. GOOD LUCK

OR You can try these links (which i found by utilizing the search that's at the top right of the main forum):

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141860&highlight=STA-21+personal+statement

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147196&highlight=STA-21+personal+statement

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148419&highlight=STA-21+personal+statement