• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

Manchester99764

Yes EM1, i'm referring to the personal statements. And personally, I want to see personal statements of people who have been accepted. Reference material. Guidance. Useful for myself, and the other people I know who will be applying. I already have my letter written, at least the first rough draft. Now i'm looking for ways to revise it, improve it and then i'll proof it again before I submit it to my chain for revision.

STS2_Traku

Hi all,

New to the boards. I've been reading a lot of information here about STA 21, and it has been very interesting.

I just found out that IP is an option under STA 21. Was wondering if it was an option under Core as well?

IP sounds great as it is, the only thing that would make it better is if one had the option of getting Sub Warfare qualified instead of surface :icon_smil

Well thanks for you help, and good luck!

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
, the only thing that would make it better is if one had the option of getting Sub Warfare qualified instead of surface :icon_smil

I am confused.... I am guessing you meant, one that ONLY had a surface option???
Or maybe I am just a cynical Sub Electrician turned Aviation ;OP
IP should be an option under core, I beleive you have more options under core, as long as it is an unrestricted line officer.

Beefalo

Where do you guys go to schedule/conduct your flight physicals if you are applying for SNA/SNFO? I am stationed on a carrier do they have the capability to do this?

Also has anyone read the new 1420.1B? I skimmed through it and Im pretty sure it said you need a good high on the PRT to apply for STA-21 now.

EM3

FY10 Core Selectee
Yes EM1, i'm referring to the personal statements. And personally, I want to see personal statements of people who have been accepted. Reference material. Guidance. Useful for myself, and the other people I know who will be applying. I already have my letter written, at least the first rough draft. Now i'm looking for ways to revise it, improve it and then i'll proof it again before I submit it to my chain for revision.

Good luck to you as a medical option applicant! I applied but didn't get picked up, I think two HMC were picked for FY10. But your chances will be better as a HM3, I was an EM3 with absolutely no medical experience. I have answers to some of your questions:
1) SAT. According to the STA21 fleet brief, the average selectee SAT score is 1200. So, I guess that should be your goal. I had 1480. But really, it doesn't mean much. Other things count a lot more. Just do well enough then it will be the least of your worries.
2) PRT. You suppose to include the latest PRT score according to instruction. And why not? Especially if you can improve on your previous scores. I don't know how much it counts for the package. I had outstanding low, medium and low.
3) Eval. Like the PRT score, you have to include it in the package.
4) Personal Statement. I know from my experience that it was about the most important item in my package. I got asked about it from everyone who reviewed my package and people who sat on the boards. EM1 was making a serious point. The selection board read close to a thousand statements a year, if yours isn't personal, it will not leave any impression. I think it applies especially to junior sailors. What makes you stand out more than seasoned sailors with exceptional track record? It has to be a combination of performance, potential and motivation. Your statement should exhibit those qualities that the rest of your package can not fully tell.

Hope that helps.

davebomb25

Where do you guys go to schedule/conduct your flight physicals if you are applying for SNA/SNFO? I am stationed on a carrier do they have the capability to do this?

Also has anyone read the new 1420.1B? I skimmed through it and Im pretty sure it said you need a good high on the PRT to apply for STA-21 now.

Beefalo- I just commnted on this subject a few posts back. You need to schedule an appointment with a flight surgeon. There is one on the carrier. Get a hold of medical on board and ask for aviation medicine and make an appointment wih the flight doc.

Beefalo

Roger. Does ship have one or will I have to wait for the embarked squadrons? Also can anyone confirm the new 1420.B says a PRT score of good high must be taken within the applications yea (no waivers)? Ive never gotten above a good medium.

davebomb25

Roger. Does ship have one or will I have to wait for the embarked squadrons? Also can anyone confirm the new 1420.B says a PRT score of good high must be taken within the applications yea (no waivers)? Ive never gotten above a good medium.

The OPNAV says you need a good high or better.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Also can anyone confirm the new 1420.B says a PRT score of good high must be taken within the applications yea (no waivers)? Ive never gotten above a good medium.

With any luck, the new STA-21 instruction is attached for your (and everyone elses) review...

Attachments

• 1420.1B_chapter8.pdf
    581.4 KB · Views: 46

GERM

Does anyone know if selected for the CORE option, what determines which community option you can go into? Is it needs of the navy or is it your choice??

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone know if selected for the CORE option, what determines which community option you can go into? Is it needs of the navy or is it your choice??

You will put in a wish list just like the rest of the MIDN in the unit. Hopefully, if your academics are good and your aptitude is high, you will get selected for your first choice. Beware that the needs of the Navy (read Nuke community) are going to be met each year.

m11jp

Submariner-to-Pilot Wannabe
I'm a Nuke ET drop and currently at Basic Enlisted Submarine School. Afterwards I move on to FT A-School. I expect to receive orders to my first submarine absolutely no later than December. I know I need to be qualified before I can submit my package, but would it be wise for me to get everything together now, with exception to my CO's recommendation of course?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I'm a Nuke ET drop and currently at Basic Enlisted Submarine School. Afterwards I move on to FT A-School. I expect to receive orders to my first submarine absolutely no later than December. I know I need to be qualified before I can submit my package, but would it be wise for me to get everything together now, with exception to my CO's recommendation of course?

You could always take the ACT/SAT, work on your personal letter, and think about what colleges you would like to go to and what you plan to major in. If you don't do so well on your tests, you have plenty of time to retake them to get better scores.

m11jp

Submariner-to-Pilot Wannabe
You could always take the ACT/SAT, work on your personal letter, and think about what colleges you would like to go to and what you plan to major in. If you don't do so well on your tests, you have plenty of time to retake them to get better scores.

Thank you for the advice. I actually want to become a pilot. Would you mind telling me what you feel gave you the edge over other applicants?

And I have most of my gen ed credits completed because I have about a year and a half of previous college. With that in mind, do you have any suggestions on classes I should try to find online that could help me?