• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funny Civil Air Patrol Pictures

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Not as if I'm looking for a hobby right now or anything, but after retirement I thought it might be a decent way to do a little community service. Can you volunteer your time for SAR and such without having to deal with the kiddies?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Not as if I'm looking for a hobby right now or anything, but after retirement I thought it might be a decent way to do a little community service. Can you volunteer your time for SAR and such without having to deal with the kiddies?

Yes. There are purely Senior Member squadrons. In fact, most squadrons in the country are Senior Member squadrons. If you're nice, you can probably transfer your military rank into the program.

Zissou

Banned
The pictures of them are good for a laugh, no doubt.

Some of the adults seem to take themselves a bit too seriously.

But, CAP seems a hell of alot more constructive than what I was doing in Junior High School. I'd be happy to teach orienteering or wilderness self reliance same as I do for the Boy Scouts.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Concur. Definitely no more or less gay than JROTC. Just wish they'd all ditch the ribbons. Even in real NROTC there were gay ribbons, but I NEVER wore them.

Speaking of JROTC, did you know that the retired advisors get paid basically up to their AD pay, i.e. you get the other 50% of what you were making before (don't know about allowances).

Python

pilot
Contributor
I've ragged on them pretty hard but they do some serious stuff too so I'll upload some to their credit:

nfrangerschool016.jpg

photo_2.jpg

Python

pilot
Contributor
Actually I'm pretty interested in the way that plane landed in the picture above.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
This may be a dumb question, but I'm just gonna use my ENS excuse and ask anyway (only have a year left to use it!): if a CAP salutes you, do you salute back? I guess the same question could apply to the "uniformed" security guards on base. FTR, I never have, but was curious what other people think. I mean, they aren't "really" military, no?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
If one were to salute me I would send em one back - no reason not to. At the very least it's mutual respect.

SemperFitz

Expert in Nameology
I've gotta give a little plug here for the worth of CAP. I joined when I was 13 all moto about getting to fly and do search and rescue. A few months later, the night before midterms, I was standing an eight hour watch of crash site security for American Eagle Flight 3379 hours after it crashed in Morrisville, NC. Seeing body parts was a horrible thing, but it was something that few kids will have the opportunity(?) to do. Kinda opens your eyes to the world. A few months later I was again doing crash site security (ironically, for my teacher's husband's plane) for a plane that had crashed while doing bounces. This time the guy had broken both ankles and was found by CAP senior members. Kinda gave up on the program when I discovered girls, but when I was 17, heard on the news that a plane had crashed and me and my buddy took off on our own (CAP didn't activate for it) and found the plane burning in the woods. Pilot had taken off on Christmas Eve to go back to SC in the fog. He wasn't alive, but had he been, it would have been two CAP kids who found him. So yeah, there's a lot of self-important senior members who couldn't run a PFT to save their life, but a lot of kids who are looking for a way into our jobs. Most won't make it, but some could use the real life leadership that real former military officers could provide; vice the kid-toucher in the picture above! I will now be burning the pictures of me in my uniform at 13.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
This may be a dumb question, but I'm just gonna use my ENS excuse and ask anyway (only have a year left to use it!): if a CAP salutes you, do you salute back? I guess the same question could apply to the "uniformed" security guards on base. FTR, I never have, but was curious what other people think. I mean, they aren't "really" military, no?

The answer is yes. The uniform the Cadets wear, and the Senior Members have the option of wearing, is what the active duty Air Force wears and as such, they adhere to rules and regulations of its wear, including proper customs and courtesies.

Phrog, you can join and never wear ribbons if you want. Senior Members have a plethora of uniforms that lack a place for all of the chest candy.

EDIT: Shameless Plug