• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funny Civil Air Patrol Pictures

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
She is carrying her shoes....I took the pic....she is Mississippi barefoot.

Oh wow I'm an idiot, I only looked super quick and thought she had binoculars or something.

I hate to bag on the JROTC types and whatnot, but, I mean that is really a disgrace.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I'm currently in the Civil Air patrol and I see a lot of encouraging words of advice from some of the members on this forum, and then I hear the horor stories...

Yes it is true that you can find your die hard CAP tools, they do exhist, and often times they are not prior or current military. (But there are some priors that turn to the Tool side as well)

There are also some really cool people and really great opportunities in the program as well. I had a flight instructor who was an AF B-1 mechanic, greatest guy and greatest instructor that I've ever had.

Since then I've transfered squadrons, became a senior member and I've started to help be a mentor to the cadets here as well as work on my mission qualifications,

Now I've seen a few questions brought up that I might be able to help with..

When dealing with CAP officers, Active Duty members are NOT required to salute them.

Yes the CAP does infact have counter drug opperations listed on one of their missions. I believe its nothing more than in the capacity of filling in for say a police helicopter in rural areas where local law enforcement lack the resources. Also applies to bordar patrol missions in some capacity.
Mostly though it has to do with drug demand reduction through education and pamphletts (drugs are bad mmmmmmk?...)

And Senior members can only become officers after the age of 21 regardless of qualifications. Senior members who are 18-20 get to be "Flight Officers" (simmilar to warrant officer ranks) while they are in limbo.

I have to say that Im abhored about some of the responses that some of you Active Duty flyers have gotten from some of the CAP types. If I had the opportunity to have one of you guys around the squadron to tell the cadets a few stories, that would be a great opportunity for my cadets that I would never pass up. Especially because I chose to act like a douche instead.

Long story short, CAP is a great program but like every other program in the world, you get what you put into it. In order to be successfull you have to walk that fine line between being a die-hard DB or being the slacker that stays at c/amn forever. The way I saw it, I had a skill, and I decided to use that skill for something benificial to the community. I can go one evening a week without party'n while im in college.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
FunnyCAPcartoon.jpg

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
In the CAP I got to Drive this CAR!!!!!!

^^^kudos^^^, not sure where you found that, but appropriate. Yeah I’m in the cap right now. Its alright at best. I was able to form 5 as a flight officer when I was 20, now im 21 and with a private and instrument ratings I think that makes me a captain in rank, but I don’t even have those silver bars wrapped in plastic stitched onto my nomex flight suit I found at the army/navy store that pass cap regs. I was really involved never missed a meeting and no matter what was always missing something to go on SAREX’s. I think the closes I got was after my form 5 I could have been a high bird.

Basically, my experience bunch of old guys maybe 15% of them pilots, while all of them thought they new more about aviation than the other; “was excited about having a young guys like my friend and I coming out,” but they never did any training to get us to where we could do anything.

Didn’t actually care to mention the above, mainly just wanted to post this pic

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
I thought just that having your pilot license, was a rank and having another rating was another and I thought that when you turn 21 if your accepted and everything you start out as 2nd Lt. then +2 ranks=captain. but its been awhile since i took the 20 online quizies you have to take to get all the certifications. Frankly dont care, got the form 5 and if they would actually use me for transport pilot, (since there is only one other instrument guy) to move the planes around; it would be the first community service i would have done in the CAP other than dues.
Kinda funny, our wing has a glass 182 but no one in the wing is qualified to give check outs in it and only one guy got training from nationals to fly it.....

I dono how much the board really looks at being in the CAP as an improvement to an application but my OR's only comment is, "you might have to get a release from it." Regardless, they cover alot of important stuff, and in time of emergency they do the job. I believe CAP was the first aircraft to be released over ground zero. Maybe, that was just crap the recruiter feed me to sign the X.....ha

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
So CAP is pro-gay? :)

Basically, my experience bunch of old guys maybe 15% of them pilots, while all of them thought they new more about aviation than the other; “was excited about having a young guys like my friend and I coming out,”

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor

FMRAM, you're supposed to comment below the quote. That way people know what you're talking about, or referring to, right away. I normally would care about a threadjack, not so much here.

MrFreakinKite

Well the former Deputy Officer at my CAP unit was openly gay (really open... one of those "OK STFU WE GET IT YOU LIKE D*CK!!!)... They didn't kick him out or anything. He thought he was the shit for being in CAP. You should've heard him talk about it.

CAP is good to join if you're about 12 or 13 yrs old. It will give you a little taste of military. I made the mistake of joining when I was 16... So I'm outranked by these 14 and 15 year olds. It's pretty embarrassing. Fortunately, the cadets are respectful.

So CAP helps out at "Wings Over Houston," (I would definitely say a way to try and look important)... This year the Thunderbirds happened to be there, and we got in for free. (Hell yeah, I'll save 20 bucks! Why not?) So our "mission" that day was to go around and give water to the pilots :). Awesome right? Cause those pilots sure do get tired. I was put in charge of a "squad," so we basically just walked around, admired the planes and talked to some pilots.

I was with this one cadet that was just a total DB. I mean, seriously, I have never met a bigger DB. I was talking to a Navy f-16 pilot (yes, there is a squadron of f-16's in the Navy) and this guy would not STFU acting like he's somebody because he's a student pilot with 3 hours of instruction!!! He made a total ass out of himself. Same when I was talking to an A-10 pilot. This same kid interrupted one of the Thunderbird pilots while he was addressing some E's in formation to ask him if he wanted a cup of water.

And the worst part about it was that the NCO in charge was a 14 year old girl on the rag. She got in my face for laughing while in formation (the laughing didn't stop when she did this). I really just could not take this girl seriously.

At this point, I just go on Mondays and "participate actively in unit activities, wear my uniform properly... yada yada yada" It's totally gay.

However, had I joined when I was younger, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy F-16s

So CAP helps out at "Wings Over Houston," (I would definitely say a way to try and look important)... This year the Thunderbirds happened to be there, and we got in for free. (Hell yeah, I'll save 20 bucks! Why not?) So our "mission" that day was to go around and give water to the pilots :). Awesome right? Cause those pilots sure do get tired. I was put in charge of a "squad," so we basically just walked around, admired the planes and talked to some pilots.

I was talking to a Navy f-16 pilot (yes, there is a squadron of f-16's in the Navy)

Pretty sure he didn't say quite that, but if you'd stop worrying about putting down everyone you serve with in CAP, you might pick up some info.

Yes, there are F-16s in the Navy, but they are not in a "squadron". They are assigned to the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center (NSAWC) for use by the N7 Department, which is better known as the Navy Fighter Weapons School (NFWS) or TOPGUN.

There used to be several squadrons that operated the specially built Navy F-16N models before they flew them so hard that they were grounded for cracks. That was almost 20 years ago when VF-43, VF-45, VF-126 and TOPGUN all were equipped with the F-16N for Dissimilar Adversary work. SO the F-16s were gone and the active duty Adversary squadrons fell to the budget axe not long afterwards.

What you saw was a F-16A or B model that were originally ordered by Pakistan, but held in embargo (stored with double digit hours in desert) for decades until released by State Dept (who has big say in FMS cases).

Navy F-16 Lineup at NAS Fallon

TOPGUNVipers-1.jpg

HJ Image

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

I did a static display at the Dayton Airshow a few months ago. Some CAP guys were driving the crew golf carts around. A few of them were cadet lieutenants or whatever, wearing gold bars with colored tabs underneath.

My aircrew were utterly confused. "Are these guys real officers, sir? That one looks like he's 16."

"No. Don't worry about them. And don't let me see you call him 'sir'"