• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funny Civil Air Patrol Pictures

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Didn't the CAP play an active part in the defense of the US coastal waters during WW2? I know that they're limited to SAR and "counter-narcotics" ( ;) ) now but they did help defend the country at one point in time.

Yes, and they actually bombed a few German subs.

Python

pilot
Contributor
The wrong stuff?
CAP%20O%20Flights%20web.jpg

cappilots.jpg

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

IMG_6713.JPG

This derelict looks like he goes to Phuket, Thailand, several times a year to find little boys that look like OU's avatar, Short Round!

How many fantasy bowling leagues do you think this guy is in? I guess CAP is also a way of doing community service...Thats GOTTA be the same dude..

tocatchapredator.JPG

Python

pilot
Contributor
How would you feel if I started ragging on NAMBLA?

Actually I could care less if you did. The line was more against the League of Women Voters than the MNG. The line actually came from The Simpsons episode where Homer joins the Naval Reserve.

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Jeff,
If you want to join the CAP, go for it man. I used to work at an FBO (fixed base operator) at a fairly large (Class C airspace) airport. The CAP came in most weekends when they would go and fly their C172. One of their commanders was an ex C-9 driver. They were nice folks, some took themselves too seriously. Same thing happens in the fire and police service with the Explorer program. Just look at it as an opportunity to learn more about aviation, and get some free stick time. I really enjoyed teaching the cadets about the airplanes that my company owned. Best of luck.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Jeff,

As a current member, I will echo what has been said above. The cadet program is a great program to get into if you are interested in joining the services and flying. You can get some flight time fairly cheap in nice Cessna 172s and earn pilot ratings in them as well. You will find that there are many great people in CAP, however, those who are not good tend to overshadow those who are genuinely there to help. I have never regretted my decision to join CAP as I feel that I have gained valuable leadership and flight experience in the program. Best of Luck!!

Nick

Kycntryboy

pilot
The wrong stuff?
CAP%20O%20Flights%20web.jpg

What the hell a quarter of them without covers, half with bloused pants. And why are they wearing their covers on the "flightline" anyways? What the hell... who are these kids? And who the hell is that butterball in the middle... somebody's brother? A new recruit? Hell that kid first row second from the right looks like he has got his dad's uniform on...on pant tucked in one out, and words can't describe the cover. lol

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What the hell a quarter of them without covers, half with bloused pants. And why are they wearing their covers on the "flightline" anyways? What the hell... who are these kids? And who the hell is that butterball in the middle... somebody's brother? A new recruit? Hell that kid first row second from the right looks like he has got his dad's uniform on...on pant tucked in one out, and words can't describe the cover. lol

they're...CHILDREN.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
When I was younger I used to hitch a ride with the Cappies from Syracuse down to Harris Hill in Elmira to go soaring. It was about a 50/50 ratio of those who took it too seriously and those who seemed to know what it was about. All I wanted was the ride to the airfield so I could go catch some thermals for a day. They didn't make me join them to do that, but that probably had to do with the fact that they really wanted the old man to join (he couldn't stand those guys).