• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Funny Civil Air Patrol Pictures

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Actually.....one of the only times I ever remember my old man really getting pissed when he was still an active O-5 was when he saw a group of these clowns going in to the exchange at P-cola....maybe it was more bemusement than pissed at the geedunk ribbons....I dunno. But I honestly think that I respect the Boy Scouts and their merit badges more than this. I would love to find out what those ribbons represent.

actually....I just found the link.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_Civil_Air_Patrol

Some are worthwhile, but most of the ribbons don't mean anything. I think it is a joke to see some 15 year old kid running around with a stack of ribbons that make him look like a field grade general.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Some are worthwhile, but most of the ribbons don't mean anything. I think it is a joke to see some 15 year old kid running around with a stack of ribbons that make him look like a field grade general.

Yeah, you get one everytime you get promoted. I honestly don't see what all of the fuss is about, though. JROTC is the same way and I've seen far more tools in JROTC units than I have in CAP. CAP does a LOT of good things -- 85% of all inland SAR missions in CONUS -- and most of the senior members I've met aren't assholes(YMMV of course).

As for counterdrug operations, usually CAP planes are used as targets during field exercises for Customs and DEA forces, and they also augment Border Patrol by flying along the border and reporting people crossing it.

/Rant

AW :) Lamp is ON and shining brightly.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Well, I was starting to get excited about joining the CAP, but know I am having second thoughts.:confused:

Jeff

There are a lot worse ways to spend your time. You could learn some basic aviation/military knowledges, teamwork, leadership, and discipline. You might earn a little credibility for academy/OCS/ROTC applications

It's not a bad gig, just don't take yourself too seriously while you're in it.

Think of it as taking a job as a mall cop while you're trying to get into the police academy. It's somewhat similar work, but not nearly as serious.

navy09

None
Well, I was starting to get excited about joining the CAP, but know I am having second thoughts.:confused:

Jeff

What's stopping you? Just understand that for a bunch of people that are in, were in, or are trying to get into, the (real) Military- CAP seems a little silly.

But if you're in high school and you think it looks fun then give it a try. As you've probably noticed from the posts it's probably not as close to "real Military life" as you might have thought so take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: ^^^What he said

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor

Jeff

Don't let jaded, cynical a-holes like me dissuade you from CAP. It's a good organization and a good way to be around airplanes. (That's what it's all about, right??) I think we were just making fun of some of the folks that take themselves too seriously....and there are plenty of those in the regular Navy as well!

jeff_264

Hopefully there will not be very many people that are too serious. I found out that the squadron commander was a Marine Corps aviator, so at least I could meet someone that has done what I want to do.

Jeff

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We need a pic of Fatty McButterpants in here now to make this thread complete.

H20man

Drill baby drill!
We need a pic of Fatty McButterpants in here now to make this thread complete.

Here he is.

146462ee-ffe7-485d-8160-bf76.jpg

unless you meant the episode in King of Queens.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
My last contribution... "I want YOUR child...to join Civil Air Patrol!...or, just your child."

IMG_6713.JPG

This derelict looks like he goes to Phuket, Thailand, several times a year to find little boys that look like OU's avatar, Short Round!

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
This derelict looks like he goes to Phuket, Thailand, several times a year to find little boys that look like OU's avatar, Short Round!
Disturbing....he probably also shuts the door for classified counter-narcotics briefs!

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
The Civil Air Patrol....America's 33rd line of defense. Right behind the militant wing of the Salvation Army but ahead of the Elks club and the Shriners!!

Didn't the CAP play an active part in the defense of the US coastal waters during WW2? I know that they're limited to SAR and "counter-narcotics" ( ;) ) now but they did help defend the country at one point in time.