• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying the T-34

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHigh

Katana's are suicide! They Have a snowmobileengine in them, but it is flying, and that beats just about anything on the ground. Except for the horizontal shuffle.

ghost_ttu

Of course of course....don't tease, I want the best description so that I can practice on MS flight sim....[:D] What did you think I meant? [8D]

Originally posted by Patmack18
A correct "Barrel Roll" is actually really hard to do well. You guys just be careful about doing aerobatics in planes that arn't approved for it. The engineers that designed them know more than you and placed limitations on them for a reason. That being said...... [:D]

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, since no one is biting, Ghost, I'll tell you what I remember from the Turbo Weenie. For me, this was always the hardest manuever in all of Primary. You start w/ all the speed she's going to give you, then pull and roll so that as you turn and as your nose comes up, you hit 45 degrees nose up and 45 degrees bank at the 45 degree heading point (let's say we started heading north and are going right). then you keep the manuever going (and here's where my memory starts losing the actual numbers) so that as the plane is on the knife edge, your nose is pointing 90 degrees out. Keep the roll in and work it back so that you end up on your original heading at the same altitude (which was the hard part). It's not really how you would probably do a barrel roll that you'd use, but a way to grade your precision...which is pretty much what all of Primary is.

Anyone who's way more current or has a better memory, bring on the corrections.

Oh, and Josh, he doesn't "need" to be at 500 ft agl
icon_smile_wink.gif
. There's not a FAR that says he has to be that high. It's 500 ft from any person or structure or high enough not to endanger anyone (including the pilot)...I'm paraphrasing, of course. Helo's have a different set of rules, but it's a blast to be flying at 50 ft and max blast over the ocean...Magnum PI style, and sneak up on a ship who is completely oblivous to you until you rage by his bridge wing. All in the name of "training," of course.

Jack

Originally posted by gatordev
(let's say we started heading north and are going right). then you keep the manuever going (and here's where my memory starts losing the actual numbers) so that as the plane is on the knife edge, your nose is pointing 90 degrees out. Keep the roll in and work it back so that you end up on your original heading at the same altitude (which was the hard part).

Like Devin stated, you're looking to be 45 AOB, 45 Nose up, after 45 degrees of heading change, HOWEVER, you want to keep that cnotrol input programed in so that you arive inverted after 90 degrees of heading change. Keep the same control inputs in and continue refrencing your heading and altitude throughout the bottom ot it. Remember that you want to finish at the same alt and heading that you began at. Some common mistakes are:

Not getting the nose up high enough intially.

Not pulling the nose across the sky - you must to do this in order to effect a heading change - the AOB alone wont do it.

Not continuing to pull back across the 'ground' on the bottom side, you've got to pull it back to the original heading.

Hope that helped. My FAM onwing in T-45s was Blue Angel from 98-2000, we had a lot of fun.

I think Devin may have been describing a wingover vice a barrel roll.

ghost_ttu

thanks guys, I wouldn't seriously do this and I didn't seriously have intentions of doing so, but I was seriously curios of the mechanics because I could see the outcome, but I couldn't picture the innerworkings of what was going on. I appreciate the help.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah....I realized that as I was reading your post...got confused. I think it might be cause I went and did some the other day in a...what do you call them....their wings don't move....oh yeah, an "airplane."
icon_smile.gif

As I was writing my explaination, it seemed like I was forgetting something and it just didn't seem quite right. Guess that's what two years and old age get you. Thanks for the correction.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, Ghost, believe it or not, it's a very gentle manuever and can be done in a GA aircraft w/ out going past 2 g's. Of course that's if it's done right. Also, the engine will probably choke as you come over and it loses it's gravity fed fuel, but it comes right back up. Now loops and rolls....that's where the engineers are smarter than the rest of us.

ghost_ttu

hmmmmmmm, dammit gator You might as well said "Ghost you big panzy, you can do that move come on I double dog dare you!!!"

I think I'm gonna go for a lil flight in the next couple weeks......*sighs*

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by gatordev

Oh, and Josh, he doesn't "need" to be at 500 ft agl
icon_smile_wink.gif
. There's not a FAR that says he has to be that high. It's 500 ft from any person or structure or high enough not to endanger anyone (including the pilot)...I'm paraphrasing, of course.

FAR Part 91.119(c) does state it needs to be that high. "no person may operate an a/c below the following altitudes:

"over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparesely populated areas. In those cases, the a/c may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."

Alright, well I suppose a farmer's field could be considered "sparsely populated" and without person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

I agree with grouch, why split hairs about which area is "sparesely populated" and which is "other than congested". ..find a lake void of vessels. . .

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by joshmountain

I agree with grouch, why split hairs about which area is "sparesely populated" and which is "other than congested". ..find a lake void of vessels. . .

Works for me. I thought he was over the lake. This is what happens when I try and "scan/read." This would so much easier if I wasn't on leave and at work instead, where I can fully devote my time to "non-work related" activities.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Ghost:

icon_smile.gif

Just don't kill yourself.

ghost_ttu

500' hmmmmm I wonder if I would forget what altitude I might have been flying if my transponder went to "standby" over the farmer's field......

Rainman

pilot
yeah, patmack I thought of that (its 1500') but grouch didn't say he was doing aerobatics. Just "dropping over farmers field at 150 knots," . . yeah extra time on my hands as I wait for Isidore to leave. . . . .

ghost_ttu

When is Isidore scheduled to depart the area? I'm needing her to hurry and do her business so they can get my test scores from P'cola.

Rainman

pilot
let's see . .landfall @ 0100 last night.. . things have calmed down quite a bit. .still hvy wind advisories and tornado watches . .etc. .and of course more rain. .this weekend ought to be good-n-flyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.