• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying the T-34

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotCPB

This question is aimed at anyone who flew the T-34 in primary who had considerable flying experience in the civilian world prior to comissioning. I am getting an aerospace degree and when I graduate I will be commercial/cfi/cfii/mei. I am guessing that I would have around 500 hours TT by the time I would make it to primary, and zero turbine time. What is the transition like to the T-34 after such experience as mine in piston aircraft? In my mind, such a transition may be better for me than in the Air Force where I would go right into a pure turbojet T-37. Also, would it be a good idea for my IP to know about my previous flight time, or should I just keep my mouth shut about it??
Chris

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think Patmack sums it up best. The Navy has its own way of doing things, and you want to jive w/ that. That said, 500 hours is a lot of time (compared to someone who comes in w/ 100 and only a private), so you should be well ahead of the a/c in the cockpit. As for the transition...it's way easy. The plane itself is incredibly simple and a blast to fly. No messing w/ manifold pressure such. Just set the condition lever to fly, and your good. On cross countries, it's pretty much just setting Tq to 1015 and going. Sometimes you have to fly to fuel burn, that's a piece of cake, just set the needle on the burn rate (it's like 350 lb/hr...but that's a guess, it's been too long). I'd love to back and fly the Turbo weenie. Just being able to start an aircraft and taxi in under 20 minutes would be a joy

Jack

Devin - FYI there is a 60 driver up in Meridian instructing in the T-2s and there is talk of bringing some more to teach in the 45 if the IP shortage doesnt work itself out. Ejection seats beat the hell out of jumping over the side....

Naval Aviator, Prowlers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oh, man, that would be incredibly cool. Too bad I only have another 2 years and 9 months till rotation...

Thanks for the info, though.

mattlowery

just a word of advice.....don't hide the prior flight time. you will be given a form to sign once you get to Primary declaring your prior experience. you lie on that and guarantee you that you won't lie on another Navy form because you won't have the chance too. Keeping it from them is the same as lieing...don't do it. i'm pretty sure that people with over 50 or 100 hours will be put on the accelerated program. just whatever you do, don't keep the prior experience from them. good luck

Matt L.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Matt,

You in Corpus yet? I start API this week and will be in Corpus mid October. How are the other sna's doing from your ocs class.

Dave

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, EODDave:

You don't know a K. Downing, do you? He was a marine mammal handler down in the keys and a prior TM1. He graduated UF in '99, just to give you a time frame, and is a SWO now. Thought you might have run into him somewhere in your career. He's a solid dude.

Valion310

Hey guys, I'm curious about something, I'll be done with my Private in mid-Dec and am thinking of getting checked out on another platform, preferably low wing with a beefed up engine. What is a relativly solid equivalant to the T-34's in the civilian markets? I'd like something with some rather more complex operation's, single engine, heavy procedures to learn ya know ... I guess just get used to the load the T-34's give out. But one that isn't gonna cost my first born child and my left kidney to fly per hour.

Anyway, my couple of backseat rides in T-34's out in Fallon was AWSOME! They are awsome to fly, (the pilot gave me about 30 min's stick time when I was up with him). I couldn't keep my heart in one spot I was so excited.

Valion310 doing his preflight weather brief-

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
Valion,
Your best bet is for flying something in the civilian world that closely resembles the T-34C will be either a Mooney or a A36 Bonanza. I have never flown the Turbo Mentor, but it's a low wing and it's fast, so are the Mooney and A36. The Mooney that I regulary fly has 244 horsies, and does 175kts. I even practice aileron rolls in it. The biggest difference that you will find between high wing and low wing is the landing, in low wing you will not flare half as much as in a high wing, if you do, you'll smack the tail. As for the cost, I live in Texas, work at a school that is run by the state and get a 2000 Mooney M-20S Eagle for $80 an hour. You will be hard pressed to find a deal like that. I've seen em at regular FBO's for about $120hr. If your ever in central Texas, let me know and we'll work on those aileron rolls!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, if you can afford it, I'd say a Mooney. They're pretty fast and also allow you to get your complex "upgrade" (Constant RPM prop, retractable gear, over 200 HP). I believe that it requires you to be a bit more ahead of the game than say an arrow.

Just to give you a comparison, it may be hard to try and find something equal to the Turbo Weenie. It has 550 SHP, so unless you rent a Caravan or a turbine Malibu conversion, the T-34 is still going to have gobbs more power than what you can normally get on the civilian side.

ghost_ttu

hmmm shot an ILS at Waco Regional last week, wonder how long it would take to get a complex and high performance sign off? hmmmmmm Waco, high performance, complex......I think I'm gonna take my instrument checkride next week, so I guess I should get that out of the way first.....

ghost_ttu

oh, one more thing....Are you guys saying that the T-34 is gonna have more power than the ol low wing traumahawk? I just find that hard to believe!!!! *grins*

mattlowery

Dave,

Just started ground school today in Primary, been in corpus going on 3 weeks. As for other people in my OCS class, I guess they are doing fine, don't see a lot of them. Take care.

Matt L.

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
quote:
hmmm shot an ILS at Waco Regional last week, wonder how long it would take to get a complex and high performance sign off? hmmmmmm Waco, high performance, complex......I think I'm gonna take my instrument checkride next week, so I guess I should get that out of the way first.....

hmmmmmmmmmm, I get your drift Ghost. For a guy like you and a plane like the Mooney, hmmmm I'd say about 10 hrs or so. Good luck on that Inst. Check ride, let me know.

Edited by - hennekecfi on 09/11/2002 10:04:39

Status
Not open for further replies.