• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Difference Between USN & USAF

Physicx

Banned
It seems like if you want to fly the most out of 20 years go Air Force or Marines. You will only be out of the cockpit for 3 years. Plus if you get fighters in the AF its not to tough to get an exchange tour with the Navy if you want to fly tailhookers. And is Singapore a safe country to live? I Didn't know they liked sailors that much.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Physicx said:
It seems like if you want to fly the most out of 20 years go Air Force or Marines. You will only be out of the cockpit for 3 years.
-Where did you get this info? There are way too many variables to even consider. IT happens but not as rule

And is Singapore a safe country to live? I Didn't know they liked sailors that much.
Yes one of the safest in the world-they are indifferent to sailors ya gotta have game and that cant be taught.

"Clearly you've never been to Singapore."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(Is Singapore safe ?? ) ..... Yes one of the safest in the world-.......
(slight threadjack --- for informational purposes, only)

Right --- Singapore is incredibly safe ... almost "1984-ish" safe. When I first went there in 1972 they were still rebuilding certain areas from leftover WW2 damage. That didn't suprise me that much, as in 1968 Malta was still doing the same --- some city blocks were piles of bombed out WW2 rubble (Malta).

But Singapore in those days was still quite British, quite beautiful, and very "colonial". Quite .....

01.jpg

... now imagine this picture with NO high-rises in the background. That's what it used to look like ..... we sat on the veranda of the Singapore Cricket Club watching men in white uniforms play that unfathomable game while sipping gin & tonics and feeling very much the part of colonial traders or seamen. We were certain that Somerset Maughan would walk in at any moment....

Large areas were fenced off and lots of construction was going on --- rebuilding. The thing that stuck me was most of the construction signs were painted with the repetitive slogan (no graffiti, of course --- do you want to get caned :eek: ???):

"ONE NATION, ONE PEOPLE, ONE LEADER" !!!

Very patriotic, and unifying, I am sure .... but where have you heard that before??? How about:

"EIN REICH, EIN VOLK, EIN FüHRER" ??? Hmmm........ sounds familiar.

Singapore was struggling to rebuild after independence in 1965 and Lee Kuan Yew --- one tough hombre --- was Prime Minister. They were setting up their military establishment after the Brits retired in '71. A very controlled and controlling society. Yes, Singapore is very safe ... but at a price.

You want an example??? You can't buy chewing gum there and if you bring it into the country and (*gasp*) spit it out ANYWHERE --- stand by for real trouble ....:)

(end threadjack .... OUT)

Physicx

Banned
Thanks for the info. And yes there are lots of things to consider. I have heard that Singapore Air was not a good airline to work for. If you want more info check out Pro Pilot Network.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
You can't chew gum? What kind of lunacy is that?!

Things are different outside the United States. A friend of mine used to say he would love to live in Singapore, with all their restrictions and laws and "security". He said he wouldn't mind the "inconvenience". I told him he could have it, I"d rather live in a free society with all its problems.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
That's what it takes to be "orderly" and "safe" in some people's eyes --- medicinal gum ONLY in Singapore. Don't get me wrong --- it's a GREAT place --- just constipated.

I once considered moving there --- so obviously I like the place. A very controlled society, however.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Continued threadjack.
There is a large and very fun ex pat contingent there.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
AllAmerican75 said:

A friend of mine has family there and recently came back from a 2 month senten-...visit. He said gum was recently made legal, but not in public places. If any of you visit that "craigslist" (or whatever, some SF bull****) you might find his rant about how much he loves (read:hates) Singapore. Food is good, everything else is bad bad bad.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you been there? Is gum really that important? Come on guys. Singapore is a great city, yes it is a bit uptight but if you read through the posts from people who have been there done that I think you will find a prett positive opinion of the place.

Scab

pilot
Physicx said:
It seems like if you want to fly the most out of 20 years go Air Force or Marines. You will only be out of the cockpit for 3 years. Plus if you get fighters in the AF its not to tough to get an exchange tour with the Navy if you want to fly tailhookers. And is Singapore a safe country to live? I Didn't know they liked sailors that much.
Physicx, (touched a nerve on the whole--which service can you stay in the cockpit longest remark)

You can stay in the cockpit in the navy for as much time as you can in any other service (I haven't left the cockpit yet and I can retire out of my current tour if I want); You just have to play your cards right if that's your goal. Plenty of people on this website with many years of flying in their naval careers.

There are quite a few exchange slots open in each service; however, if you want to be a 'tailhooker,' an AF pilot on an exchange tour to the Navy probably won't get to in this day and age--the training cost to much for a non-deployable pilot. They (AF exchange pilots) don't get to CQ in Prowler's anymore (I know the last guy with that honor, and he CQed many years ago). The AF pilots I've talked to that have done Hornet transition have done land based tours (like NSAWC in Fallon) and did not get a chance to fly at the boat. Someone else probably knows more than me about Hornet exchanges.

As for Singapore, agree with all above. Clean and crimefree...caning takes care of a lot. I haven't been there as many times as A-4's, but I had a blast everytime and always found something new to do--I here they have beer there too.

besides, the AF wears pressed flight suits with scarves :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
(threadjack continues .... )

The INFAMOUS SINGAPORE GUM BAN:

Actually, the Singapore government is very creative. After an infamous gum ban starting in 1992 (GUM, not GUN ban -- for guns :) --- you can get life imprisonment in Singapore ) they were pressured under a new Free Trade Agreement to include a provision lobbied by Illinois Congressman Phil Crane (Wrigley gum is in his state :) ). Gum was coming back, but to not lose face and to preserve "order" .... the Singapore bureaucrats got creative.

They recognized Wrigley's Orbit gum and Nicorette as having "health" benefits ... and thus, they could be sold --- through pharmacies --- and a record of the recipients names would be kept. Kind of a crazy parody on GUN control, yes ???

For a look at high comedy and big-brother, Singapore-style, click the link: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2004-05-26-singapore-gum_x.htm

Ahhhhhhh ...... politicians and bureaucrats of all colors, races, creeds, and stripes. What would we do without them ???

P.S. lest any misunderstand --- I would still live in Singapore before any other large Asian/Far East city. A great place .....

(end threadjack .... OUT)

Driftwood

The pain train's coming! WOO WOO!!!
Hey guys....try not to spit so much or pee all over the place either. Your buttocks and the Singaporean government will thank you. ;)

Can you imagine gum advocates and the television spots they had to use over there? "Gum doesn't kill people, people kill people. We support the responsible use of gum everywhere, just remember to use this privilege wisely. Contact your local government official and petition for the free use of gum in Singapore. Thank you for your patience and support."

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Scab said:
Physicx, (touched a nerve on the whole--which service can you stay in the cockpit longest remark)

You can stay in the cockpit in the navy for as much time as you can in any other service (I haven't left the cockpit yet and I can retire out of my current tour if I want); You just have to play your cards right if that's your goal. Plenty of people on this website with many years of flying in their naval careers.

There are quite a few exchange slots open in each service; however, if you want to be a 'tailhooker,' an AF pilot on an exchange tour to the Navy probably won't get to in this day and age--the training cost to much for a non-deployable pilot. They (AF exchange pilots) don't get to CQ in Prowler's anymore (I know the last guy with that honor, and he CQed many years ago). The AF pilots I've talked to that have done Hornet transition have done land based tours (like NSAWC in Fallon) and did not get a chance to fly at the boat. Someone else probably knows more than me about Hornet exchanges.

As for Singapore, agree with all above. Clean and crimefree...caning takes care of a lot. I haven't been there as many times as A-4's, but I had a blast everytime and always found something new to do--I here they have beer there too.

besides, the AF wears pressed flight suits with scarves :eek:
As amplification to Scab's post, the AF has stopped sending any pilots to expeditionary squadrons. Been that way for about 18 months - just Navs (ECMOs) now and that probably won't last. The AF is bailing on EA and the whole premise of having an AF crew in a Prowler squadron for AF/AEF integration is flawed. For the record, the quality of AF folks in Prowlers (in my experience) was atrocious, especially the pilots. Both of the ones that were in my squadron were the kind of pilots that you could never take your eye off for more than 30 seconds in the air.

Brett

Physicx

Banned
I didn't mean to hit a nerve. If you do a search for the career progression post you will see what I mean. Someone posted and it seems like your not flying much your last ten years. My question is how hard is it to "play your cards right"? It seems the deciding factor for most guys is they don't want to go to the boat if they can't fly. And the AF has openings to send pilots to F/A 18 squadrons for both the Marines and Navy. Some are going to Fallon to be weapons instructors.