• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Difference Between USN & USAF

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thanks to Neptunus Lex .
You all are gonna love it, except maybe you Air Force types.:icon_lol:</P>

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange Tour flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished author of entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and "Fly-Off". Check out his web site .In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following.
12 Feb 04

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a fine way to serve your country.
As you requested, I'd be happy to share some insight into which service would be the best choice. Each service has a distinctly different culture. You need to ask yourself "Which one am I more likely to thrive in?" USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run. Their training programs are terrific.
All pilots are groomed to meet high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go, you'll know what to expect,
what is expected of you, and you'll be given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad would want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes (surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months preparing for cruise and months on cruise.

The quality of the aircraft varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted are salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect. Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these people during your career; you will be humbled and get your hands dirty. The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will be over your head. You will miss many important family events. There will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times.

You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until you become a lethal force. And some days - when the scheduling Gods have smiled upon you - your jet will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it.

The hottest girl in the bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator.

That bar is in Singapore

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado

Banzai

PS Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.
:fight_125

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
This does seem to pop up on a sem-regular basis.

Of course, those of us who have been to Orchard Towers know that the hottest girl in the bar in Singapore could very well be a ............guy. :eek:

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
SteveG75 said:
This does seem to pop up on a sem-regular basis.

Of course, those of us who have been to Orchard Towers know that the hottest girl in the bar in Singapore could very well be a ............guy. :eek:

I heard about that in Singapore. Yuck. Also, Air Force pilots iron their flight suits??? What da......

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
If you pick up a chick in Singapore, make sure you do a package check. Oh yeah and AF doesn't iron there flight suits, but we DO shine our boots.

B

Blutonski816

Future Herc Driver said:
If you pick up a chick in Singapore, make sure you do a package check.

Make it easier and just look for the Adam's apple.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
"You were with 2 Filipino women last night...and a man..."

"You mean 3 Filipino women right??"

"..."

"oh no...OH GOD NO!"

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:

Sea story. Thread Jack.

USS OK City, CLG5, C7F Flagship, into Singapore where, at the time, few US Naval ships visited. Enroute, crossed 0 lat, half ship crew were polywogs. As part of the initiation into the realm of the Shellback, made each one shave right leg, to knee. Advance party into all the Bars of Singapore, spread the word that a method to confirm if someone was cross threaded was to check right lower leg, if shaved ......

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:

That's outpatient surgery now, I remember seeing ads for it in Thailand. Scary. I've seen more than one guy assume incorrectly. Don't be that guy.

B

Blutonski816

zab1001 said:
That's outpatient surgery now, I remember seeing ads for it in Thailand. Scary. I've seen more than one guy assume incorrectly. Don't be that guy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Future Herc Driver said:
If you pick up a chick in Singapore, make sure you do a package check. Oh yeah and AF doesn't iron there flight suits, but we DO shine our boots.
You have to shine boots?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Future Herc Driver said:
Oh yeah and AF doesn't iron there flight suits,

Maybe you don't, and if not, good on ya, don't start, spread your influence around. But no-sh!t, there's a ton of zoomies in Japan sporting starched, creased, and ironed bags.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
zab1001 said:
Maybe you don't, and if not, good on ya, don't start, spread your influence around. But no-sh!t, there's a ton of zoomies in Japan sporting starched, creased, and ironed bags.
Without a doubt, a sure sign of homosexuality. Or the coming of the apocalypse. Both just as undesirable.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Future Herc Driver said:
....AF ......but we DO shine our boots.
Hey!!! I spit-shined my boots when I was flying Adversary. Also wore an orange flight suit. Don't ask me why ... it just seemed the thing to do at the time.

We just wanted to look "better" than the F-15 drivers when we beat them ....