• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Difference Between USN & USAF

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Physicx said:
........ My question is how hard is it to "play your cards right"? It seems the deciding factor for most guys is they don't want to go to the boat if they can't fly........
Cards?? The deck is rigged. Assuming you have been keeping your nose clean and doing your job --- it's all "timing" and "needs of the Navy" .... there are no cards. The closest that "old saw" might come is that you have to "know when to hold 'em and know when to fold "em" .... :) .... i.e., think Kenny Rogers. Know when the "good deals" present themselves and how to go after them. Oh, and it always helps to kiss ass and develop friends in high places .... :) ... assuming you can still look in the mirror in the morning without shame or self-loathing.
10215129.jpg
002450.jpg

Physicx

Banned
Thats why I said it seems. There is going to be a lot of factors deciding if you stay the full 20 or not. But most people become pilots to fly.

Scab

pilot
Physicx said:
I didn't mean to hit a nerve. If you do a search for the career progression post you will see what I mean. Someone posted and it seems like your not flying much your last ten years. My question is how hard is it to "play your cards right"? It seems the deciding factor for most guys is they don't want to go to the boat if they can't fly. And the AF has openings to send pilots to F/A 18 squadrons for both the Marines and Navy. Some are going to Fallon to be weapons instructors.

Just got home after a long day (had to get up at 4am...hate waking up before 6), but at least I got to fly twice, shoot stuff, and buzz NFO2b's house :icon_wink

I've been sitting here drinking a beer and thinking about a reply and the first thing that comes to my mind--You need to stop worrying about 10-15 years in your future and concentrate on some more immediate goals...getting to/through flight school and your first flying tour.

I'll just talk about your first fleet tour--hard work, on the ground and in the air, pursuing and attaining qualifications, being the guy who's willing to come in on the weekend to do the must have FCF, having fun/participating with the Ready Room....these are the kinds of things that, no matter the service you choose, open up opportunities/give you some cards to play. After that, its a little luck, a little desire, a little who you know, and possibly some sacfrifice. Who knows what you'll want that far in the future.

I've gotten pretty lucky. Doing a cruise (and flying a few 7-8 hour missions over Afghanistan) with the future detailer (and possibly a bottle of scotch or two) didn't hurt my luck for this tour; but the payback...I've never had a shore tour. Just flight school, RAGs, and deploying. Heading to Bagram in a month.

Any way. I'm a little brain dead after a long day and a couple of beers. Just my $.02

scab

fudog50

Orchard Towers?

The correct name is "4 Floors of Whores"...

And that has only been around since the 90's..

Bugis (boogie) street was the spot in the 70's and 80's.

fudog50

Seriously heres the real difference between AF and USN Pilots-

1.) Navy, you are also a Division Officer and actually get to lead people, hence the real meaning of an Officer. Air Force?

2.) Air Force pilot takes 3 years to fly as many hours as Navy pilot does is in a 6-8 month cruise.

3.) Navy maintainers make the best out of what they got. AF maintainers have it all given to them. Which would you rather have?

That says a lot. Just a cut above as far as leadership and experience. It goes a along way in life.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
As much as I love flying the warpig, it would be great to fly one that didn't leak, and not because it was too low on whatever fluid to continue leaking.

Seriously heres the real difference between AF and USN Pilots-

3.) Navy maintainers make the best out of what they got. AF maintainers have it all given to them. Which would you rather have?

That says a lot. Just a cut above as far as leadership and experience. It goes a along way in life.

Since you brought up the nuts and bolts of the matter.....and this IS the straight skinny.

AF = over specialized! Many years ago I was sent to C-9 systems school at Scott AF Patch. Pretty much covered the bird stem to stern and the only ones who flunked out was....you guessed it, a couple AF guys. One "specialized" in fire detection and fire detection ONLY, the other specialized in something equally redundant, I forget now. Almost half my career was done at NAF Andrews (that's a BIG AF base for those still in the womb) They were great for comshaw, if I needed a calibrated tensiometer, fuel cell sealant or torque wrench they had it. They had tons of money to piss away.
My point being if the Navy used the same personnel manning and expertise that our fine feathered friends use a carrier would literally need to be a mile long just to house the maintenance pukes to do the job! THAT is a "this ain't no shit" story laced with pure reality and Id be happy to debate it with anyone.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Just to put the AF and the NAVY into a little perspective:

A friend of mine on a TRACOM X-Country (he was a STUD) .... went into AF-base-something-or-other in the SW for fuel .... and while at the transient line some AF assholes walked out to their relatively sleek T-38's and said:

"HEY!!! Can you guys go supersonic..."???
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Much AF laughter followed ... :icon_lol::icon_lol:

My friend's Instructor, a former F-8 driver .... walked out onto the wingtip of the TF-9 Cougar, jumped up and down several times and said:

"NO ... but can you assholes do this ...."!!??!!

There was no reported response from the retiring AF weenies .... :)

Case closed.

OldNavy

When I was in Norfolk, I was the squadron "scrounge" About every other week I would take a 5-ton truck and a stack of requisitions up to Cheatham Annex salvage near Williamsburg. You would not believe what the AF guys at Langley turned in! Not old, worn out junk, we're talking brand new, in the box with the original documentation. Comuters, electronics, tools, you name it. I actually brought back 2 brand new Monark aluminum jon boats for the squadron's Rec program once.

My Skipper jokingly told me before one of my trips to keep an eye open for a soft-serve ice cream machine for the geedunk. Be damned if I didn't find a brand new one, still in the crate.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Orchard Road (and now Mohammed Sultan Road) have nothing on the mighty Terror Club

Pool.jpg

FWIW the last time I was on an Air Force base, I went to the e-club, sat down in anticipation of drinking a few beers, and some faggoty folk singer crooning into the microphone drove me away.

When I go to an e-club I want to see bar fights and fat chicks dammit!

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I shit you not, this is the O'Club at Hickam AFB Hawaii
n73303665301722275454ej7.jpg

And this is the O'Club at NAS Lemoore