• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN DCO Change to ODS 2020

Lemwolf

Im 41, currently in the Navy reserve as s BM, i joined the military at the age of 39, I have a Post Masters Degree (GPA 3.645) Masters in Education, Bachelors in Liberal with a minor in information security. I have 15 years governmental experience, current position Engineering Technician and I work partime at UPS performing logistics.

exNavyOffRec

Are you sure? I couldn’t find anything about DCO in the 1420 when I applied in 16. Also couldn’t go through my CCC because the DCO program package instructions seemed to be closely held secrets of Navy Recruiting Command. ??‍♂️ I ended up working with a DCO recruiter out of NRD Jax.

yep I was thinking of those applying for OCS, good catch

subreservist

You're chance of selection to Supply are a longshot. You meet the minimums to apply, though, so give it a try. Supply DCO selects roughly 20 folks out 300 or so applications each year. If you're not living and breathing Supply Chain Management as a civilian, it's not likely you get in. You have a better chance at Intelligence.

subreservist

Thanks, I went through and read the 1420 instruction..

The 1420 is mainly for Fleet applicants applying to commissioning programs. A Reservist is typically going to go through a recruiter for both active and reserve Officer programs. You may get something out of it, but you may find conflicts of information between the Fleet process and the recruiting process. Most NOSC/Unit CCC are going to refer you to a recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

The 1420 is mainly for Fleet applicants applying to commissioning programs. A Reservist is typically going to go through a recruiter for both active and reserve Officer programs. You may get something out of it, but you may find conflicts of information between the Fleet process and the recruiting process. Most NOSC/Unit CCC are going to refer you to a recruiter.
That process changed a while ago, reservist going for AD officer have to go through their command and utilize the 1420, unfortunately since NRC changed the organization of officer recruiting many "OR's" start working with USN reservist only to be stopped somewhere in the process, and that delays the reservist getting submitted.

Lemwolf

You're chance of selection to Supply are a longshot. You meet the minimums to apply, though, so give it a try. Supply DCO selects roughly 20 folks out 300 or so applications each year. If you're not living and breathing Supply Chain Management as a civilian, it's not likely you get in. You have a better chance at Intelligence.
Thanks, for you input, I would prefer Intel, my first job is entitled Engineering Technician but that's just a title, I perform more administrative and logistics in this position for local government, ive been employed with the local government for almost 16 years now and held many positions over the years.. Im kinda glad you said Intel but it doesn't matter ill be happy with either community. In my partime position at UPS im a night Auditor, I handle yard control and inventory of trailers and communication moving in and out, its a partime manager position. That's just a snapshot of what I do, I have all my responsibilities on my resume.I appreciate your comments Thanks, how often and when does the Intel board meet?

Last edited:

Lemwolf

That process changed a while ago, reservist going for AD officer have to go through their command and utilize the 1420, unfortunately since NRC changed the organization of officer recruiting many "OR's" start working with USN reservist only to be stopped somewhere in the process, and that delays the reservist getting submitted.
Wow, thanks for the information, you have been wonderful in answering my questions. I guess all I can do is keep pushing and wait and see what happens, im not going to stress over it to much. I've had a productive civilian career, I just want my military career to match, and hopefully be able to collect a retirement check from the federal government as well, performing at my best with the acquired skill set and education gained over the years.

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Thanks, for you input, I would prefer Intel, my first job is entitled Engineering Technician but that's just a title, I perform more administrative and logistics in this position for local government, ive been employed with the local government for almost 16 years now and held many positions over the years.. Im kinda glad you said Intel but it doesn't matter ill be happy with either community. In my partime position at UPS im a night Auditor, I handle yard control and inventory of trailers and communication moving in and out, its a partime manager position. That's just a snapshot of what I do, I have all my responsibilities on my resume.I appreciate your comments Thanks, how often and when does the Intel board meet?
Intel is part of IWC, which meets 2x year for DCO selection.

You may not be as competitive as your peers for Intel, however. Most applicants for intel have significant experience in intelligence, foreign policy, scientific/technical/cyber fields, or special operations. Some do get in without checking any of those boxes - but they typically are Ivy League lawyer types or politically connected. To put it in perspective for you, ENS Reince Priebus (1205 HR) was the Chief of Staff of the White House and didn't get picked up for DCO Intel.

I don't mean to make you feel bad by this next question, but what was your motivation for enlisting as a BM (which is a fine rate) two years ago if you are shortly soon afterward looking to switch to Supply or Intel? Why not enlist as an IS or LS, if those career fields appealed to you? I would guess that the DCO selection boards will want to see you put some more time into BM and advance to E5, maybe E6, while also continuing to progress in your civilian job and education/certificates.

Lastly, I always put this out there as an option because not a lot of people consider it: If your only goal is to be an officer, and if you happen to be a religious person, you can also consider Chaplain DCO (which may require getting an additional degree/credential to meet the PA requirements).

Lemwolf

Well my situation is unique or maybe similar to someone, i was trying to work with a officer recruiter before joining and he suggested I try enlisted first atleast I would have "my foot in the door". Well my medical waiver at the time took 5 months before it was approved and the only job that I could get before my birthday came up was BM, I literally turned 40 in bootcamp, I shipped out August 28, 2019, I turned 40 September 5th. I asked the same question you did, I was told it didn't matter what job I did in the Navy, I could apply for an officer supply or intel once coming back from bootcamp..

Last edited:

Lemwolf

Intel is part of IWC, which meets 2x year for DCO selection.

You may not be as competitive as your peers for Intel, however. Most applicants for intel have significant experience in intelligence, foreign policy, scientific/technical/cyber fields, or special operations. Some do get in without checking any of those boxes - but they typically are Ivy League lawyer types or politically connected. To put it in perspective for you, ENS Reince Priebus (1205 HR) was the Chief of Staff of the White House and didn't get picked up for DCO Intel.

I don't mean to make you feel bad by this next question, but what was your motivation for enlisting as a BM (which is a fine rate) two years ago if you are shortly soon afterward looking to switch to Supply or Intel? Why not enlist as an IS or LS, if those career fields appealed to you? I would guess that the DCO selection boards will want to see you put some more time into BM and advance to E5, maybe E6, while also continuing to progress in your civilian job and education/certificates.

Lastly, I always put this out there as an option because not a lot of people consider it: If your only goal is to be an officer, and if you happen to be a religious person, you can also consider Chaplain DCO (which may require getting an additional degree/credential to meet the PA requirements).
I thought the Chaplain community was tough. Im religious but I have no specified training. Im not against it though...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yeah... it absolutely does matter what job you do in the Navy. You could try to change your rate to IS or LS, and go back to A school for that rate, but I have no idea how you'd do that or even if they would let you - go find out definitively from someone else.

Basically, my $0.02, every officer path for you looks like an uphill path at this point.

subreservist

I haven't heard or seen it at my district. The PA's and checklist don't reflect that and Reserve applicants are still applying and being selected for active duty Officer programs without issue for us. The good news for them is, technically, they have 2 paths to apply for active Officer depending on if they are motivated to handle their own application or not.