• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Where is the rest of that clip?

If it makes anyone feel better, I don't think the OO Student Council really gives many fucks about us, either.
1. Land of the free, right?

2. I think you'll have to find it on Parler (Twitter without the censorship of Conservative/Republican ideology). Katie Hopkins is apparently very far right (first time I’ve heard of her), but I don’t find what she’s saying to be political at all. She’s merely stating facts. But the leftists will just shoot the messenger and ignore the message.

Overall, I think things can be best summed up by the below image, again:

exNavyOffRec

I know them personally and have for 5-15 years (Depending on which teacher) [I moved here when pop was closer to 4k]. A couple give me the Ensign salute. The principle says it’s bullshit. And the couple others are like “you would if you could; wouldn’t you?”. My wife is a spin instructor at the YMCA and another local gym and she has several fellow trainers that are delaying as long as they can to come back because “I make more on unemployment”. One is even teaching for free so she can stay off the books. This ain’t about Covid... And for the school board, I think everything coming out of them is the fear of a law suit.
All but one of the teachers I know want to go back to in person education, not necessarily every kid in class every day, each of the ones I know has a bit of a different idea.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, plenty of debate here about masks. I think it is fair that most of you guys take the science and data serious, and just disagree on the final analysis and relative weight placed on any given study or expert. Our real problem is abjectly stupid people. And I don't mean a bunch of twenty somethings (no symptoms, low risk demographic) that are out on a beach (outdoors in sunlight and heat) partying. No, this is stupid...

My sister in law's neighbor and good friend's boyfriend actually drove 600 miles to go visit his brother who is sick at home with covid! Yeppers. This bone head did not hesitate to make an in person visit over an entire weekend to pound some beers and cheer him up. Then he drives home and goes to work on Monday. No masks in this picture at all. Not too long after, coworker comes down with covid. In the process of a management investigation dipshit says, "oh yeah, just saw my brother, he has it." Now company management is setting GQ. Meanwhile, he has visited girlfriend who is recovering at home from one of the first elective surgeries when the hospitals opened back up. In a country of 330M you know there are thousands of stories just like that. What can you do? You can't fix stupid. You can't say there hasn't been enough press, briefings or PSAs. It takes just one idiot to fuck it up for hundreds.

SlickAg

pilot
I think there’s a lot of truth in this tweet below that isn’t really being talked about. I think a lot of a population’s resistance to this has to do with metabolic health. Even Boris Johnson said yesterday or the day before in an interview that he blames his weight for how serious his complications were. I would love to see the high-level analytics on diet, exercise, and overall health as it relates to this. What the American people and everyone else around the world deserve to know is the actual risk for themselves and their loved ones, based off of demographic and health factors. When 75% of the population thinks that themselves or a loved one is going to be hospitalized from covid...the media has failed us all.

Q: This disease is much worse for an overweight, type 2 diabetic, so let’s shit down his gym and make it difficult for him to go to the grocery store?

A: Yes, make him sit on his couch, and since it’s safer for him to not go to the grocery store, he should be hitting up the drive-thru every day for three meals instead. Because it’s safer this way - less human interaction that way.

What I also don’t understand is how the science has been saying one thing for a while (schools should be open for kids), and yet a political party has been driving the narrative-mobile down the highway at 70 mph and then all of a sudden two big-wigs slam it into reverse. Messieurs Cuomo and Schumer just realized that delaying in-person schooling was going to derail the economy coming back? Seriously? I think it’s absolutely the right call, but I don’t understand why we should believe science only when it’s convenient for our political purposes.

taxi1

pilot
how the science has been saying one thing for a while (schools should be open for kids)
The science has been more nuanced than open or close, with things like community spread rolling into the mix.

New York is at 1% positive test rate, they should be open. Mississippi is at or over a 20% positive test rate...completely different environment.

exNavyOffRec

The science has been more nuanced than open or close, with things like community spread rolling into the mix.

New York is at 1% positive test rate, they should be open. Mississippi is at or over a 20% positive test rate...completely different environment.

It is interesting that NY who screwed up bad in the beginning of COVID and has or had one of the worse death rates per million and infection rates per million is now able to open up there schools since their infection rate is low, I guess since everyone got it at once the concerns have gone away.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Gyms and fitness centers have sued our state government for the Governor ordering they shut down again. Meanwhile, bars, restaurants, barbers, spas, and other businesses, remain open. They are open based on voluntary compliance with mitigation procedures. Some haven't made any effort, but are open. Gyms were hard down with no estimate of reopening by the state.

At the hearing the fitness folks presented lots of compelling evidence from experts regarding cleanliness and transmissible along with compliance rates with the state recommendations before the second shut down. On compliance with previous state recommendations, the fitness industry FAR surpassed restaurants and especially bars. Yet they remain open.

Judge made a good point. Can't shut down business activity without revealing quantifiable reasons. "Public Heath" doesn't hack it. If you have quantifiable reasons, you can turn those into specific requirements and goals for moving forward. If the fitness businesses can comply with those requirements, then there is no reason to stay closed. Otherwise it is arbitrary. Judge ordered the state to post the checklist online and accept applications to reopen from fitness businesses that say they have complied. It will be case by case, location by location. If they are not maintaining the standard, they can be shut down later. Sounds good to me. Should apply to all businesses.

It is clear the logic the judge used was fair and reasonable. It sends a signal to the state to apply the same approach to other businesses. Give them mandatory benchmarks based on science and enforce it. It is uncertainty as much as anything else that is killing business now. Too many open ended executive orders. Before the modest opening of this state, they pushed back the date twice. Millions of dollars of produce, training, and supplies were wasted because the open date slipped. Now open, the state can reverse overnight. Give businesses the ability to essentially pick their own open date and give them assurances that they will remain open if they can meet quantifiable requirements, not the whim of a politician or educated guess of a public health official without skin in the game.

SlickAg

pilot

Has there really been that much of an appreciable change in NYC in the past month, when this article was written? Yesterday or the day before Bill de Blasio said he was putting up roadblocks on entry/exit points into the city to “remind” people about the quarantine. So things are so dire the mayor says we need to make sure people do their two week quarantine if they’re driving across the Verrazano, but the state’s governor and senior senator agree that schools should reopen?