• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
Gyms and fitness centers have sued our state government for the Governor ordering they shut down again. Meanwhile, bars, restaurants, barbers, spas, and other businesses, remain open. They are open based on voluntary compliance with mitigation procedures. Some haven't made any effort, but are open. Gyms were hard down with no estimate of reopening by the state.

At the hearing the fitness folks presented lots of compelling evidence from experts regarding cleanliness and transmissible along with compliance rates with the state recommendations before the second shut down. On compliance with previous state recommendations, the fitness industry FAR surpassed restaurants and especially bars. Yet they remain open.

Judge made a good point. Can't shut down business activity without revealing quantifiable reasons. "Public Heath" doesn't hack it. If you have quantifiable reasons, you can turn those into specific requirements and goals for moving forward. If the fitness businesses can comply with those requirements, then there is no reason to stay closed. Otherwise it is arbitrary. Judge ordered the state to post the checklist online and accept applications to reopen from fitness businesses that say they have complied. It will be case by case, location by location. If they are not maintaining the standard, they can be shut down later. Sounds good to me. Should apply to all businesses.

It is clear the logic the judge used was fair and reasonable. It sends a signal to the state to apply the same approach to other businesses. Give them mandatory benchmarks based on science and enforce it. It is uncertainty as much as anything else that is killing business now. Too many open ended executive orders. Before the modest opening of this state, they pushed back the date twice. Millions of dollars of produce, training, and supplies were wasted because the open date slipped. Now open, the state can reverse overnight. Give businesses the ability to essentially pick their own open date and give them assurances that they will remain open if they can meet quantifiable requirements, not the whim of a politician or educated guess of a public health official without skin in the game.
Stories like this give me hope that we’re moving past mass hysteria and coming back into the age of logic, reason, and common sense.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'd put money on it that a lot of the government officials who have ordered gyms to shutdown are themselves fatties- who are probably also in denial that their own muffin-topping, "I have curves," "a little meat on the bones," "my body type," or spilling over the armrest when they're flying coach, is somehow healthy.

It's just a hunch (and a lot of bias too). I've been in denial before too but that doesn't change what is or isn't overweight.

I'm glad to see this topic bubbling up in the media, even if it's bubbling very slowly.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Hawaii has had cases rise significantly since requiring masks outdoors

Hawaii doesn't have shit except incompetent state and county governments scared of their own shadows.

Here is the latest on COVID as of today.

This is from the Lt. Governor. They just reimpose the interisland 14-day quarantine until at least August 31st because of our "exceptionally high raise in the number of COVID patients". They are also talking about the continuing the state quarantine from elsewhere after August 31st not because they are afraid tourist will bring in more COVID, but because they don't want more interaction between locals at work. So basically they don't want people working just drawing government money that doesn't exist as we approach 50% unemployment in the state. Of course they are all Dems looking for more federal money to bail them out since the state tax revenue has gone to basically $0.

Fucking idiots.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Judge made a good point. Can't shut down business activity without revealing quantifiable reasons. "Public Heath" doesn't hack it. If you have quantifiable reasons, you can turn those into specific requirements and goals for moving forward. If the fitness businesses can comply with those requirements, then there is no reason to stay closed. Otherwise it is arbitrary.
Why not? They've been doing it with guns for years; why should COVID be any different? </SARCASM>

skybert

Skybert
I think there’s a lot of truth in this tweet below that isn’t really being talked about. I think a lot of a population’s resistance to this has to do with metabolic health. Even Boris Johnson said yesterday or the day before in an interview that he blames his weight for how serious his complications were. I would love to see the high-level analytics on diet, exercise, and overall health as it relates to this. What the American people and everyone else around the world deserve to know is the actual risk for themselves and their loved ones, based off of demographic and health factors. When 75% of the population thinks that themselves or a loved one is going to be hospitalized from covid...the media has failed us all.

Q: This disease is much worse for an overweight, type 2 diabetic, so let’s shit down his gym and make it difficult for him to go to the grocery store?

A: Yes, make him sit on his couch, and since it’s safer for him to not go to the grocery store, he should be hitting up the drive-thru every day for three meals instead. Because it’s safer this way - less human interaction that way.

What I also don’t understand is how the science has been saying one thing for a while (schools should be open for kids), and yet a political party has been driving the narrative-mobile down the highway at 70 mph and then all of a sudden two big-wigs slam it into reverse. Messieurs Cuomo and Schumer just realized that delaying in-person schooling was going to derail the economy coming back? Seriously? I think it’s absolutely the right call, but I don’t understand why we should believe science only when it’s convenient for our political purposes.

As on overweight diabetic, I couldn’t agree more let’s close every place that will help me, and encourage those like me (but with no. Common sense), to sit on their asses and eat junk food paid for with “ free gubmint money”

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Thoughts?

Poor guys but they're also probably making serious bank in OT and various other pays. The MSC life as a CIVMAR is an incredibly good deal as long as you can handle being at sea for 4 to 6 months at a time. That being said, there's got to be a better solution than confining our Sailors and civilian mariners to their respective ships for the duration of the pandemic.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would also love some insight into why mask mandates are beneficial in America but not in the Netherlands.
Would also love some insight into your apparent obsession with this topic. Don't you have a ground job to do or some students to teach? Do you really think a VT instructor randomly posting on the Internet is going to somehow solve all the world's problems and refute the medical professionals you apparently disagree with?

You're literally taking over this entire thread to a point that's beginning to get quite weird.

BigRed389

None
Thoughts?

Article has sources quoted as saying they've gone to arbitration with the unions.
I would expect some policy modifications to follow shortly.
Probably in the way of providing a more sustainable relief process, shore based support to mitigate quality of life impacts of COVID mitigations.

I can certainly understand why the restrictive measures were implemented at the outset.
MSC assets are vital to Fleet operations. Normal ops would grind to a halt without the oilers, and sustained combat ops isn't possible without their other resupply assets.
But it's certainly not unusual for the Navy to implement a knee jerk "good enough" solution and forget to fix it to something longer term down the track until someone reminds them it's not a permanent solution.

That said, may be also highlighting some holes within MSC CIVMAR work force sustainability - whether it's manning levels, hiring policies, etc. that may be needed to improve conditions within MSC.

taxi1

pilot
I cruised with Admiral Wettlaufer, head of MSC, back in 1988 on the USS America. A-6 guy back then, and fellow LSO.

MSC would seem like an obvious shoe job.

It would suck royally to be stuck on a ship pierside like that.

SlickAg

pilot
Would also love some insight into your apparent obsession with this topic. Don't you have a ground job to do or some students to teach? Do you really think a VT instructor randomly posting on the Internet is going to somehow solve all the world's problems and refute the medical professionals you apparently disagree with?

You're literally taking over this entire thread to a point that's beginning to get quite weird.
So the guy with 7,500 posts is telling the guy with 1,100 posts he’s posting too much? Got it.

So it’s okay for you to talk about IT and computer stuff for people transitioning out? And try to chime in on all the transition threads? And talk about all your selres experience at the NOSC? But I post too much about covid. Got it.

As an airline pilot, covid is sort of near and dear to my heart. And since being a VT IP isn’t my full-time job...the answer to your question would be no. Is that what happened with you, your VT IPs spent too much time on forums and not enough time teaching you the skills to succeed at the RAG? Just interesting how that was your first thought; that I wasn’t devoting enough time to them.

I really just want all the coronabros to see how right their predictions ended up being (that was sarcasm by the way).

Last edited:

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
What is a coronabro?
From Urban Dictionary:
--------------------------------------
Corona Bro

Guys on twitter telling everyone to stay at home and fear the virus even though they are still going off of outdated data. These guys typically seem to root for the virus when arguing with people that want to get back to their livelihood.

This corona bro started spamming my Twitter when I declared we should start opening businesses with Fauci quotes from one month ago. When I said these people need jobs to survive and presented him with accurate data, he called me a “grandma killer”.

--------------------------------------