• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
That must be why they announced this, because everyone is so compliant there.

UPDATE | August 3, 2020, 6:15 p.m.: Mask up or pay up in Houston.

Mayor Sylvester Turner has directed police to issue citations carrying $250 fines for anyone not wearing a face mask or facial covering as required by the state’s mandatory mask order.
You mean the one the police said they wouldn’t enforce?

SlickAg

pilot
Now do Japan
I’m going to defer to our resident expert and ranking member of Team Apocalypse on this one.

At this point, I love that he’s proving my point for me: since Mayor Turner says we aren’t doing enough with the masks and things are improving here, it must mean that masks don’t work! It’s science!

But seriously, I love how there’s absolutely zero press coverage about the crazy resurgence of the virus in areas that were previously hailed as super successful due to their relative success the first go-around. I think this proves that lockdowns and other NPIs don’t work as well with this virus. I mean yeah, you can perhaps slow or suppress the spread for a while, but once it takes hold it does the same thing over and over: rips through the population, has a substantially higher death rate for the elderly and the immunocompromised, and fizzles out once it hits 15-20% seroprevalence, implying some sort of immunity to almost 80% of the general population.

Last edited:

SlickAg

pilot
Anyone notice that the same political ideology calling to defund the police also wants to use the police power of the state to enforce a pandemic dress code?
The same political ideology of the folks who don’t report stories like this. Instead they’ll just say the Washington Examiner isn’t a “worthy” news organization instead of focusing on the words coming out of the CDC director’s mouth.

SlickAg

pilot
“I think it's really important, at a time when 90 percent of media... is saying the same thing, with very little pushback or smart questioning, to get different perspectives,” Berenson said. “Even if you disagree with me completely, it’s always good to know what other people are thinking."

Imagine that...diversity of thought. I’m sure people will not read this article because of who published it, and that’s exactly what’s so scary about this whole situation.

‘“In Arizona, Texas and Florida, the worst of it is behind us in terms of the number of people hospitalized,” Berenson said. “The death counts will still continue to rise, but they accomplished that without a major lockdown. So, I think, rationally, governors who look at that and distance themselves from the media hysteria, will say, look in Houston... Phoenix, Miami, without lockdowns those hospitals continued to function.”

The author added that “rationality has played only a small part” in decision making thus far when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic, so nothing would absolutely shock him at this point.

“The point of the lockdown is supposed to be to save the hospitals from being overrun, to save us all from some sort of massive societal collapse, that didn’t happen,” he said. “So what on earth would we be doing it for going forward?”

exNavyOffRec

Went to Sam's Club this morning. For the first time they have real uniformed security at the entrance. He isn't checking membership cards so one can only assume.

They have had one at our Walmart for a week now, of course they can only remind and ask people to put a mask on, they are not to confront anyone that says no.

exNavyOffRec

Try getting into our local Home Depot, they have a security guard posted up at the entrance...no mask, no entry

ours has been doing that for months, of course you see a few people dropping the mask below the chin, a few more below the nose and nothing is said, once in you seem to be good, of course the vast majority are wearing them all the time.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I've just been notified that I'm probably not going back to my office for another 10+ months. If that's the case, that's roughly 14 months WFH (this coming from a guy that hasn't worked from home for more than a day at a time).

exNavyOffRec

I've just been notified that I'm probably not going back to my office for another 10+ months. If that's the case, that's roughly 14 months WFH (this coming from a guy that hasn't worked from home for more than a day at a time).
I am looking at Jan 1 2021 at the earliest and if I still have a job.

One of my friends is in the same situation and they decided to close one of the offices permanently, moving company was hired and packed up everyone desk, personal items shipped to the employees, if it look like it was company property shipped to the other office until it can be sorted. Crazy times.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Maybe I wasn't clear. The important thing is the science, no? Or so we have been told. Not administrative arrangements between organizations.
The science outlines the risk. Teachers by and large have decided that the risk is too high. This risk assessment is undoubtedly fueled by two factors:

-They collect full pay and benefits when working remotely for a fraction of the time.

-They have the training and education to effectively teach their own children at home.

Parents tend to be relatively split on the issue, but I bet if educators were more united in communicating the importance of education and safety measures being put into place instead of complaining on social media, most parents would fall on the side of sending kids to school.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No.

The unions work for the employees. They're only fighting against opening schools by majority vote from actual teachers.

I disagree. Union leadership takes many actions without consulting their membership. Very few things actually take member ratification. Memberships recourse is to organize a recall vote and replace the leadership (or wait until the next election). That takes a lot of time, effort and enthusiasm from the membership. Most of the membership is too lazy and just assumes that leadership has more information than they do.

I've been in 2 unions not including ALPA in my lifetime including the Teamsters working at the shipping terminal in Norfolk during college (won't say Longshoreman as I was more of a gopher laborer - go here, carry that, unload this - without any equipment operating but still a full voting union member with my union card.) The third union was the Culinary Workers Union which was the most corrupt organization I've ever seen and gave absolutely zero shits about what the members actually wanted. The CWU is everything that anti-union people hate about unions and is disgrace to any professional union.