• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Here's a head scratcher.

Ordered take-out on Friday from a local bar/restaurant with indoor seating and outdoor seating. Sign on door says masks are required if you're picking up food and no more than 2 guests inside for carry-out. I open the door with my mask on, like a sheep, only to see tables of people INSIDE spaced 2-3ft apart not wearing masks. People at the bar shoulder to shoulder talking, no masks. Meanwhile, myself and the other carry-out customer weren't less than 6ft from anyone, yet somehow we were required to wear a mask. ?

taxi1

pilot
Would you mind telling us, in detail, why we aren't Sweden?
Although Sweden didn't come down hard with mandates, their voluntary compliance was and is better than ours. Swedes did more than the government asked. We do less.

Good article, although from mid-July, which is like last century in Pandemic time.

Some states, especially in the South, began easing restrictions in late April. But many people seemed to take “bars and restaurants can reopen with capacity limits” as “back to normal!” An entrenched culture of “don’t tell me what to do” just about ensured the opposite of Swedes’ placing greater restrictions on themselves than the government did. And that’s what happened.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Although Sweden didn't come down hard with mandates, their voluntary compliance was and is better than ours. Swedes did more than the government asked. We do less.

Good article, although from mid-July, which is like last century in Pandemic time.

Some states, especially in the South, began easing restrictions in late April. But many people seemed to take “bars and restaurants can reopen with capacity limits” as “back to normal!” An entrenched culture of “don’t tell me what to do” just about ensured the opposite of Swedes’ placing greater restrictions on themselves than the government did. And that’s what happened.

The virus ran its course there, just like it’s doing here now. Government restrictions had little to do with either example.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Would you mind telling us, in detail, why we aren't Sweden?
1) The most densely populated city, Stockholm, ranks with Atlanta, which is 37th in the US.

2) Swedes are actually following a lot of social distancing guidelines. The national government just isn't strictly enforcing them.

Despite these two facts, Sweden's population fatality rate is 14% worse than the US.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
This perspective makes so much sense to me. Exhibit A, the meme game on this very thread:
“Those who had more sexist attitudes were far less likely to report feeling concerned about the pandemic, less likely to support state and local coronavirus policies, less likely to take precautions like washing their hands or wearing masks, and more likely to get sick than those with less sexist attitudes,” Reny told me. “What I found is that sexist attitudes are very predictive of all four sets of [aforementioned] outcomes, even after accounting for differences in partisanship, ideology, age, education, and population density.”

Last edited: