• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Daycares and schools are similar but not the same. We need to provide more nuance, not less. Broad declarative statements like this don't help.
Where I am, kids are in daycare, summer camps, youth sports, but the county decided to force all schools (including private) to stay closed. It’s indefensible. They had 5-6 months to come up with a nuanced plan and they fucked it away.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
While schools hire "professionals" (imagine the term being used somwhat loosely, as in some for sure are but I had plenty that definitely were not in public school system in a generally nice area on the space coast of FL), they really are not that much different from childcare. Generally the children are older. The person watching the kids needs to be higher qualified. But the way our school system is now is little more than childcare. It doesn't properly fail out those that it should, and kids don't succeed unless their parents decide to parent. I'm not opining on how it could be better (kicking more people out of high school and onto the streets wouldn't necessarily help today's problems). Just stating that public education has morphed into childcare with some side benefits of education in some (hopefully most) cases.

There are plenty of good teachers, that I imagine have the best of intentions for the people they teach at heart. Most of them are not likely asking to put movies on zoom and call it a day.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Please provide the nuance with respect to the difference in covid safety between a 4 year old in preschool/day care and a 7 year old in elementary school. I don't see it.
One has teachers unions and labor contracts, one doesn't.

The large majority of teachers are against opening schools.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One has teachers unions and labor contracts, one doesn't.

The large majority of teachers are against opening schools.
Maybe I wasn't clear. The important thing is the science, no? Or so we have been told. Not administrative arrangements between organizations.

taxi1

pilot
My sister works at a Mall retailer in a big city out west, which has been closed to the public since the start. They've been cleaning and stocking and shipping out mail orders. A lot of the rest of the mall has been open, though. I asked her if everyone at the mall is wearing masks. You know the answer.

She's a kind soul who actually likes people and likes retail. The store corporate has said that when they open the gates, the employees will take turns at the store entrance reminding people that they should wear masks, but not force them to. Of course to get to their store, the people will have had to enter the mall and walk through it without a mask, so they've already self-identified as assholes.

I suggested she get some pepper spray.

SlickAg

pilot
My sister works at a Mall retailer in a big city out west, which has been closed to the public since the start. They've been cleaning and stocking and shipping out mail orders. A lot of the rest of the mall has been open, though. I asked her if everyone at the mall is wearing masks. You know the answer.

She's a kind soul who actually likes people and likes retail. The store corporate has said that when they open the gates, the employees will take turns at the store entrance reminding people that they should wear masks, but not force them to. Of course to get to their store, the people will have had to enter the mall and walk through it without a mask, so they've already self-identified as assholes.

I suggested she get some pepper spray.
You’re suggesting that she pepper spray people not wearing masks?

SlickAg

pilot
I'm suggesting she be prepared to defend herself when Mr. CoronaHoaxer goes postal.
All the videos I’ve seen of people getting hysterical are people flipping out on people not wearing them.

Besides, if it’s her store’s policy to just ask and not enforce anything, then they’re allowed to come in without wearing a mask. I don’t see it causing any issues, especially since your sister is a “kind soul” as you said.

It’s funny how your family keeps seeing all these people without masks on. Ever since it’s been mandatory here, I haven’t seen a person NOT wearing a mask at the store, or anywhere they’re required to. I guess we must care about each other more here. Interesting that I live in a heavily Republican area too.

taxi1

pilot

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
All the videos I’ve seen of people getting hysterical are people flipping out on people not wearing them...
Nah, there are crazies who subscribe to both extremes of youtube science. I don't think it's narrowed down to one group or the other.

There's probably more to those videos that we see that happened before the cameras started rolling too.
Ever since it’s been mandatory here, I haven’t seen a person NOT wearing a mask at the store, or anywhere they’re required to.
It's a big patchwork where there are or are not required around Pensacola- or how you even define "required" as an ordinance (in an incorporated city) or just sign by the door to the store.

Then again, it's not unheard of around here to see a shirtless guy in a grocery store. Sometimes it's out of spite and sometimes that includes politics; sometimes it's out of stupidity.

Last edited:

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Didn't you say you were from the Houston area?

I made the mistake of reading that garbage article to see what the good doctor thought we are doing wrong. Shockingly not a single example or suggestion is listed. Just clickbait bullshit for people like you to reinforce your beliefs.