• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

SlickAg

pilot
It is the norm. How have you not noticed? It just isn't a rule or mandatory and won't be. That is ridiculous. Do what the hell you want. Happy?
I’ve been doing it on this thread for quite some time and no one seemed to take umbrage until now.

I just found it interesting given that the mod who did so was a non-participant in this thread until he decided to selectively delete those posts.

Y’all are mods, do what you want. Not my place to censor you. However, I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to ask for consistency in moderation. Is that too much of an ask?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Latest CNO direction:
R 301621Z JUN 20 MID510001361809U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
BT
UNCLAS
NAVADMIN 185/20
MSGID/NAVADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/CNO/JUN//
SUBJ/CNO MESSAGE TO THE FLEET//
RMKS/1. As we head into a well-deserved holiday weekend celebrating our
nations independence, I want to convey how proud I am of our collective
resilience and grit during this challenging time and stress the importance
of remaining vigilant in our long-term battle against COVID.
2. Together, we have impressively adapted and maintained our edge in
confronting the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic. Sustaining that
hard-earned
readiness is now dependent on each of us holding steadfast to the
procedures,
protocols and policies that keep COVID out of our commands. Especially this
weekend, each of us will be faced with temptations to cut corners and return
to the old normal.
3. Do not do it. The health and safety of our Sailors and families is my
number one priority. Do not compromise yourself, your family or your
friends
and become the source of COVID at your command. We must protect family
and shipmates from this virus with the same intensity that we protect them
from any adversary, with focus and conviction. We will remain socially
distant, wash hands, wear face coverings, and avoid large groups.
4. COVID is an insidious enemy, with roughly 35 percent of those acquiring
COVID remaining asymptomatic. A single, healthy-feeling individual can
unwittingly spread the disease to many others. COVID does not care how long
it has been since you shook a hand, went to a bar, or hugged your
grandparents.
It can and will continue to spread with reckless abandon unless we stay
united
in defensive action. Together, we will rigorously maintain health
protection
measures to protect our Navy family and assure mission success even when it
may appear the general public may be relaxing them.
5. An additional important layer of defense against this disease, given
that
the only way to uncover asymptomatic individuals is through testing, is the
Surveillance Sentinel Testing (SST) established by NAVADMIN 178/20. SST
tests
a small percentage of our force routinely to help break the chain of
transmission of COVID-19, increase awareness across our force and provide
greater health protection mission assurance.
6. I am extremely proud of the readiness we have maintained during these
past
few challenging months. More than one-third of the Navy is currently
forward
deployed, spending longer times at-sea with fewer port visits. These units,
and many other ongoing examples of prioritizing service and country above
self, demonstrate what makes us strong and a great Navy. My deep and
sustained thanks as we continue to define and operate in this new normal.
7. Released by Admiral Mike Gilday, Chief of Naval Operations.
UNCLASSIFIED//
BT
NNNN

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’ve been doing it on this thread for quite some time and no one seemed to take umbrage until now.

I just found it interesting given that the mod who did so was a non-participant in this thread until he decided to selectively delete those posts.

Y’all are mods, do what you want. Not my place to censor you. However, I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to ask for consistency in moderation. Is that too much of an ask?
I don't see anyone censuring anyone. Nor did I see any "moderation". A moderator can post his own thoughts and opinions without it being site moderation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My mistake. Didn't notice. Did you eventually make your intended point? If so, no real censure.

SlickAg

pilot
My mistake. Didn't notice. Did you eventually make your intended point? If so, no real censure.
My point is that a super moderator told me to stop being lazy and add some content or context. I thought the tweet stood on its own so I didn’t feel it was necessary and replied accordingly. The super moderator then deleted the offending posts.

My beef is basically that he alone decided my posts didn’t measure up to his personal criteria of argument rebuttal and deleted them with no warning. If he had said fix it or I’ll use my mod powers and delete them, that’s fine...but he didn’t.

We’ve been corresponding via PM and he eventually said that he was willing to undelete the posts so I could add context or content. And I asked him why that wasn’t the first action from the get go. Still waiting for that reply.

Now, do I think I’m being singled out for some personal vendetta? No. But this is the slippery slope of moderation. Clearly I felt strongly enough about those tweets to share them because I think they present a side to the covid crisis that isn’t getting much coverage from mainstream media. By deleting those posts because they offend his sensibilities, he’s taken away the ability of more people to consume data or opinions, interpret them, and come to their own conclusions.

Since I broke no published rules of the forum, I still don’t agree that he should have deleted those posts. I understand that mods are given powers to use beyond those of a normal user, but they need to be willing to moderate consistently and fairly.

We’ve been corresponding via PM and I included webmaster on there as well.

Previously, I’ve had a conversation with Brett about moderation and I can understand for certain subjects, but the theme here has always been the less moderation the better, hence my surprise that those three posts of mine were picked given that it was nowhere near the first time that I’d posted that way and they didn’t meet the criteria for posts that are usually moderated. An excerpt from that exchange with Brett is posted below:

“We moderate very lightly here, to be honest, and there's usually a behind the scenes discussion with Mods before we do. Most of it is either keeping the discussion in the PNA areas when appropriate, dealing with OPSEC, or outright over the top personal attacks.”

@Brett327 if you find it distasteful that I posted that I apologize in advance and please delete accordingly.

SlickAg

pilot
It would be nice if this chart had another column showing percent of positive cases out of number given.
I believe it’s trending up. Again, the age of the people testing positive is way down, and the deaths don’t seem to be tracking up in the same way.

I’ve seen almost no articles citing fear about rising death rates, everyone is hyper-focused on case counts. And instead of the old “dying from” versus “dying with” argument of a couple months ago, the crisis now seems to be “hospitalized from” or “hospitalized with”. The grass roots sources seem very clear that it’s hospitalized with and that’s what’s driving those numbers up.

Even the Air Force has seen an uptick in positive cases, but none of their most recent cases have required hospitalization.

exNavyOffRec

I believe it’s trending up. Again, the age of the people testing positive is way down, and the deaths don’t seem to be tracking up in the same way.

I’ve seen almost no articles citing fear about rising death rates, everyone is hyper-focused on case counts. And instead of the old “dying from” versus “dying with” argument of a couple months ago, the crisis now seems to be “hospitalized from” or “hospitalized with”. The grass roots sources seem very clear that it’s hospitalized with and that’s what’s driving those numbers up.

Even the Air Force has seen an uptick in positive cases, but none of their most recent cases have required hospitalization.

I found a site, it doesn't break it down by age, however it lets you see the rates by state.

SlickAg

pilot
An update on how Sweden is doing. Yet we still have people here talking about keeping schools closed this fall.
Some of my teacher friends (and their friends as well based off the comments) are very opposed to schools reopening. They fear for their own safety; not necessarily the children, although they bring up the fact of children getting sick. But of course, they can’t seem to grasp that influenza and pneumonia kill FAR more kids than this so far. I get that some of them are high risk, but if they are afraid, they shouldn’t return to work until they feel comfortable doing so.