• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID-19

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Directional arrows confuse 60% of the population, at least that is my observation over the past several months.
Same kinds of people who got confused by the arrows on those infamous butterfly ballots in the 2000 election or get tripped up by problem solving in everyday situations like four way stop signs...

In their defense and given the present day situation, a lot of people are fearful of the future (their jobs, their homes, their families). Stress makes lots of people miss seemingly obvious things from their surroundings- even miss a simple, intuitive arrow, that humble symbol from the days of the caveman, passed down through generations and millenia.

I'm not too wrapped up about the arrows, I'm sorta part empathy (for my fellow human beings) and part amused fascination- pondering what it must be like to go through life as an idiot.

BigRed389

None
I’m not sure anyone really can, and that’s what confuses me. Granted I just have a BA, but I still have been led to believe that really good science should be universal in nature.

What's Europe saying?

Here's some sort of official guidance out of Europe:
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-use-face-masks-community.pdf

Suspect there are similar social engineering factors at play to why Fauci didn't recommend use of masks initially.

To "Navy-ize" my understanding of the homemade rigs, they pass DT (product functionally works as intended), but jury is still out on OT (average Joe may not be able to use it) and Interop Testing (may make people do dumb things relative to each other - ie ignore social distancing).

SlickAg

pilot
What's Europe saying?

Here's some sort of official guidance out of Europe:
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-use-face-masks-community.pdf

Suspect there are similar social engineering factors at play to why Fauci didn't recommend use of masks initially.

To "Navy-ize" my understanding of the homemade rigs, they pass DT (product functionally works as intended), but jury is still out on OT (average Joe may not be able to use it) and Interop Testing (may make people do dumb things relative to each other - ie ignore social distancing).
If you go back a few pages I posted four pictures from Scandinavian countries about wearing masks. The BBC story talks about some ways that mask wearing may provide a false sense of security, among other things.

And in regards to Dr. Fauci, I made another post on here about how his views have flip-flopped. They didn’t want to exacerbate the initial mask shortage by telling everyone to wear one. So they lied to us instead? If they wanted to save the N95 make for medical personnel, why couldn’t they have encouraged citizenry to use cloth face coverings from the get-go if they’re “just as effective”.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
And in regards to Dr. Fauci, I made another post on here about how his views have flip-flopped. They didn’t want to exacerbate the initial mask shortage by telling everyone to wear one. So they lied to us instead? If they wanted to save the N95 make for medical personnel, why couldn’t they have encouraged citizenry to use cloth face coverings from the get-go if they’re “just as effective”.
I think a big part of it was that at that moment, few people imagined that bank robber bandanas would soon be ubiquitous. Surprisingly, public opinion flipped within a few weeks and we went from thinking of them as ridiculous to thinking of them as an important part of the solution (even though their quantifiable value is a bit vague).

The government really screwed the pooch on N95 messaging from the get-go. Even before covid, an average consumer had to make a pretty determined effort to procure a legit, medical use (or comparable) N95 mask. A hardware stores might stock only a few of them, you'd have to look in either the paint or the hazmat section of the store, and then you'd have to look at the most expensive models. Hardware stores always did, however, stock lots and lots of packages of a dozen cheap dust masks that happen to be made of N95 material (but still leak at the corners).

Both kinds were sold out practically everywhere (brick and mortar and online) by late February/early March. People were buying them and shipping them to friends and family in China, with the believe that there was a very serious and barely contained crisis going on over there. More often than not, Chinese customs was seizing them for official use. Given what we knew at the time and what we know now, I totally understand why.

Back to our government, the feds confused the general public and they confused the state and local governments by making such a ballyhoo about "saving N95 masks for medical personnel." The notion that the commoners needed to save these:

and basically anything and everything with "N95" written on it, or more frontline personnel would die, that's ridiculous. Dunno if they meant to communicate exactly that ridiculous message but it's the message everybody got.

taxi1

pilot
So your prediction is the whole Texas Covid-19 thing is just going to fade away? No masks required?

That's the nice thing about this pandemic. Isn't doesn't give a damn what any of us says. It is immune to bullshit. It just does what it is going to do.

It also has a sense of humor. If you down play it, it strengthens and makes you a fool. If you lock it all down, it goes away, making you look like Chicken Little.

SlickAg

pilot
So your prediction is the whole Texas Covid-19 thing is just going to fade away? No masks required?

That's the nice thing about this pandemic. Isn't doesn't give a damn what any of us says. It is immune to bullshit. It just does what it is going to do.

It also has a sense of humor. If you down play it, it strengthens and makes you a fool. If you lock it all down, it goes away, making you look like Chicken Little.
I didn’t say that. This is in response to the panic being sown in Texas that the increase in cases means we’re going to run out of ICU beds. It was another classic case of “just wait two weeks!!”

Now, if the deaths don’t follow the uptick in cases, I think it’s very possible the media is going to pivot to “we don’t know the long-term effects” as their next reason for why we should keep things shut down.

As far as thing petering our, you’re a scientist, right? Do Farr’s Laws care if the people in the area under the curve are wearing a mask or not?

Studies are being released that say that 10% of the population has had this and that 80% of the population may be immune to this already.

If we’re going to make science-based decisions here, let’s use science ALL the time, not just when it fits the narrative.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I didn’t say that. This is in response to the panic being sown in Texas that the increase in cases means we’re going to run out of ICU beds. It was another classic case of “just wait two weeks!!”

Now, if the deaths don’t follow the uptick in cases, I think it’s very possible the media is going to pivot to “we don’t know the long-term effects” as their next reason for why we should keep things shut down.

As far as thing petering our, you’re a scientist, right? Do Farr’s Laws care if the people in the area under the curve are wearing a mask or not?

Studies are being released that say that 10% of the population has had this and that 80% of the population may be immune to this already.

If we’re going to make science-based decisions here, let’s use science ALL the time, not just when it fits the narrative.
People are already pushing the “we don’t know the long term effects” as though a significant portion of those infected are suffering long term effects

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@SlickAg, stop being lazy. If you're going to post a link, at least take a moment to add some content/context.

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
There’s a thread for that

It's pertinent to the COVID discussion. Fox News seems to have somewhat shifted their message on masks. Also, Mitch McConnell just laid out the case for wearing masks. Seems to be a break from POTUS's messaging, and in line with his CDC's recommendations.