• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
You want a good gut check of where you are in the food chain - stop by the VFQ at the Washington Navy Yard.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The BOQ @ Kirtland AFB used to be very, very nice .... especially compared to most Navy Q's of the period.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, you do get one day off in a location of your choosing, but the other two days are hard ass work and guess what you get to come back to Sunday night? Usually a 6 AM brief on Monday.

Don't forget the 9+ grade sheets and no scheduled time to do them. Oh yeah, they're due tomorrow.

phrogpilot73

Seahawk Hotel? I thought it was the Boeing Hotel, Room 46E. I've spent a number of nights there... The litters are comfy, and our cabin is big enough for the whole crew. I think that's the REAL reason why we don't have money...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
HELO pukes talkin' about sleeping in the bird and thinking it's a BOQ "review".

Heck, they don't even wear u-trou ... or was that STOOF drivers?? No, ...it was HELO drivers .... or was it???

You gotta love it. :D

phrogpilot73

HELO pukes talkin' about sleeping in the bird and thinking it's a BOQ "review".
Pukes, huh? And everyone wonders why we're always on the defensive. Hell, our aircraft makes us jittery enough! ;)

Sleeping in the bird is DEFINITELY a BOQ review. Especially if you're a passenger - you may break down in a farmer's field. Here's some tips - use the litters if you've got them, and don't sleep or put your bags on the ramp.

Boom2

pilot
Anybody stay in the New River Q lately, or have any experience in Geo-Baching there? I'll be checking into 302 in a couple weeks. Thanks.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
NAS Sigonella and Lajes AFB have pretty go BOQs. I liked Sig better only because the shower was more user friendly...

Both were set up like suites and were very comfortable. Lajes 'Q had more space in the living area, but Sig had an actual kitchen area vice just a miro-zapper and mini-fridge. It was almost like a little apartment.

One of the things that Lajes has over Sig is proximity. Lajes Q is a few minute walk to the main exchange and commissary. Sig's main NEX/Commissary is on the other base, but you're close to alot of the MWR stuff.

Norfolk's BOQ was ghetto as hell. Sucked. I give it a D-, but only with extra credit because it was the first bed I'd slept in INCONUS after being in the 'Stan.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on which Norfolk Q. The one on the Chambers side is middlin'...C+, maybe... Motel-6 quality, but livable. The "Shoe Q" over toward the piers is pretty nice. That's where they put up the visiting O-6's.

Kyoowashugi

The "Shoe Q" over toward the piers is pretty nice. That's where they put up the visiting O-6's.

You're kidding, right? The BOQ near the piers is a miserable, miserable place - the taller, uglier buildings over by the main gate were far better.

Norfolk TVQ: Wireless internet, if you were in the mood to switch networks every ten minutes.

Nasty, nasty bathrooms, which fortunately had decent, high pressure water.

Broken air conditioning. Norfolk summer. "I'm going to Kings Bay next week, will it be fixed when I get back?" "Oh, absolutely!" Flip the damn thing on when I walk back in and it sparks and almost catches the drapes on fire. Oh well, I'll open a window! Nope. Forest fires. Too smokey.

I slept on the damn cruiser on liberty for a few nights just to avoid the place. In enlisted berthing. That should tell you something.

Kings Bay BOQ: Aside from the yelling JROTC kids and retired Marine Gunnys outside my window every morning at 0400, fantastic. Nice doubles, small beds, but walk-in closet, huge bathroom, and decent TV. Oh, yeah, and air conditioning.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You're kidding, right? The BOQ near the piers is a miserable, miserable place - the taller, uglier buildings over by the main gate were far better.

Yeah, I was talking about Shoe Towers. I didn't even know there was another one next to the piers.

Lesson learned: when staying in a Q in a big area - Norfolk and San Diego, especially - make sure you know which one they've put you in. I wound up driving around San Diego for three hours trying to figure that out one night; and turned out it was the ASW Base Q, which sucks.

It's worth mentioning the Navy Lodges, too. They vary wildly in quality. The Navy Lodge in Norfolk was the most alarming ghetto-assed place I've ever seen, but the Little Creek and Oceana ones aren't bad.