• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

April 2014 SNA and NFO Board

Bradicus

Ensign, SNA
Seems like everyone here has a ppl.
I do not, while I am shooting for aviator position.
Do you think they would be more inclined to give me NFO instead of SNA?
Learning about aviation through Gleims pilot manual handbook.
Its a start ain't it?

I don't have one, and you don't need to have one. The Navy is more than happy to teach pilots from scratch "their way."

cb812

SNA
Seems like everyone here has a ppl.
I do not, while I am shooting for aviator position.
Do you think they would be more inclined to give me NFO instead of SNA?
Learning about aviation through Gleims pilot manual handbook.
Its a start ain't it?

I don't have one, and you don't need to have one. The Navy is more than happy to teach pilots from scratch "their way."

Agreed. But it might not be a bad idea to go up a few times with a flight instructor at your local airport. Yes you'll drop a few hundred bucks but you can get a feel for it so when you show up for IFS, you will already have a few flights under your belt. Plus it's fun as hell.

varlogkern

Frozen Hellscape Survivor

I also don't have my PPL. I have a few flight hours, but nothing substantial. A few over 4 or so. Enough to put down, but not enough to make an impact on my kit. Ha

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Absolutely correct! Having a PPL, CFI, or multi-engine/instrument ratings... are all commendable (albeit expensive) achievements; however, the Navy has a century of experience in turning average "aviation challenged" John/Jane Does into outstanding Naval Aviators.;)

Previous GA flight will make API & basic instruments a bit easier, but will not give much of an edge in board selection. GPA, ASTB/AOR scores, remain key to selection, followed closely be solid LORs, leadership experience, volunteerism, sports activity, and other personal achievements.:)
BzB

Dominator812

Just a heads up.. I'm currently active duty navy.. I just transferred from a P-3 squadron, one of my LT's from my previous squadron had transferred and now is in charge of scheduling the Aviation community rolling boards.. He said that he expects to have late April or early May.

akjim101

My OR just called me. He said my package has moved from the PM to at board. When I asked what this meant he simply said a board would be meeting "soon". Not sure if someone else has more information. But I figured I'd share the information I had.

A.H.

"Billy the Kid"
Got confirmation yesterday that my package was received, hopefully I manage to squeeze through on this upcoming board. Best of luck to everyone!

28 years old
AT1(AW) (9 years service)
SNA/SNFO application
ASTB: 8/7/7 68
3.35 GPA BS Applied Science and Technology (TESC)
Working on M.A. in Organizational Leadership
LOR: 0-4 Maintenance Officer
Interviews: 0-5 NFO (XO), 0-3 NFO, 0-3 Pilot (Instructor), 0-3 Pilot (Instructor/LSO of the Year)
Evals: (Old-New) MP, EP, P, MP
PRT: Good, Excellent, DEP/OP, DEP/OP
AWARDS: NAM(2), FLOC, LOC(2), LOA(2), MOVSM
Age Waiver and LASIK Waiver submitted.

Ahh ok. That makes me feel better hahaha

Yeah I submitted my package last month and my recruiter had called me a couple times to fix some small errors because it got sent back. He resubmitted it and told me he would let me know when he has a date for the next board. I haven't heard from him since so I guess that's a good thing....I hope.

brogdawg32

My OR just called me. He said my package has moved from the PM to at board. When I asked what this meant he simply said a board would be meeting "soon". Not sure if someone else has more information. But I figured I'd share the information I had.
Say what!? Time to check with the recruiter

Your profile says you've already been pro-rec'd though?

I just want to make this board. Need to figure out what I'm going to do if I dont make it haha

If you just submitted the package you should be good. Word is that it only has to be in a week or two before the board meets in order to "make" the board. Rumors are late April/early May so you should be fine, just focus on your PRT.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I don't think it hurts you! Btw I would be studying the Pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. The gliem book is aimed more toward passing the FAA written not teaching basic info.
To be honest, I wouldn't be studying either of them. If you want to be a Navy pilot, read Navy pilot books. Most of the API and Primary publications can be found online.