• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26Jun20 SNA/NFO Board

coolhand_505

One Eight Zero, one more time!
Update: I got a call back from Aviation Community Manager

Cleared to apply for lateral / direct commission package for SNA. Waiver approval is the big if. But at least I can put my best foot forward - got word I’m getting an LOR from a retired Navy O-6 this morning. Studying hard to re-take the ASTB. Long shot but nothing to loose gents. All the best

exNavyOffRec

Cleared to apply for lateral / direct commission package for SNA. Waiver approval is the big if. But at least I can put my best foot forward - got word I’m getting an LOR from a retired Navy O-6 this morning. Studying hard to re-take the ASTB. Long shot but nothing to loose gents. All the best
at least you know that no one up to him will shoot you down.

coolhand_505

at least you know that no one up to him will shoot you down.

On a related note. When I put in an SNA package back in 2012 I don't remember having to do a waiver for my General Discharge (Under Honorable Conditions) -- I remember having to write a statement about it but that's it -- Do you know if this discharge type requires a waiver? My recruiter is telling me yes I just want to verify from another source. I'm gonna need the age waiver for sure but want to minimize waivers if I can. Many thanks

exNavyOffRec

On a related note. When I put in an SNA package back in 2012 I don't remember having to do a waiver for my General Discharge (Under Honorable Conditions) -- I remember having to write a statement about it but that's it -- Do you know if this discharge type requires a waiver? My recruiter is telling me yes I just want to verify from another source. I'm gonna need the age waiver for sure but want to minimize waivers if I can. Many thanks

The statement is part of the waiver, often there is an interview as well.

coolhand_505

Interesting. We’ll see how this develops. I’m set to take my ASTB in about two weeks. Time will tell — it’s a Hail Mary but I’m going after it hard

Tgonzo29

Hey Guys,

think I have everything nearly ready for the board. Fingers crossed and hoping for the best for everybody!

ASTB 50 6/6/5 (Potentially retaking)
Commercial-Instrument Rated: 310 hours
Strong Recs from some senior officers (ret & active)
Hockey background

Good day guys,
Is this up coming board a rolling board or a traditional one? If it’s a rolling board, what does it mean? Thank you!
Here’s my current situation:
Prior Navy enlisted (PS3)
ASTB: 51 6/7/5
GPA: 4.0
Will graduate with a commercial + multi engine adds on.

Good luck everyone! Looking forward to seeing all of us “SELECTEE”

Good luck, brother!

Infinitedouble

Question about the rolling board definition, does that mean that essentially you could send in an application and be selected in between board dates?
No, It means you can submit a package anytime and it will be processed and rolled into the next available board on schedule.

Tex232

I know this thread is kind of dead but any update on this?

@exNavyOffRec @FormerRecruitingGuru
Can either of you guys chime in on how this situation is possible and how/why the aviation OCM would have approved this? I’m in a similar situation (though with an Honorable Discharge) to the OP, served four years active duty USAF as an officer, but when I reached out the OCM regarding the possibility of direct commissioning for SNA or even starting over as a civilian OCS applicant, I was shot down over the “no prior commissioned officers” paragraph in program authorization 106. This was about a year and a half ago, and OP’s post is only about three years old. I’m beginning to wonder if there is a route to winging and I wasn’t told.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Can either of you guys chime in on how this situation is possible and how/why the aviation OCM would have approved this? I’m in a similar situation (though with an Honorable Discharge) to the OP, served four years active duty USAF as an officer, but when I reached out the OCM regarding the possibility of direct commissioning for SNA or even starting over as a civilian OCS applicant, I was shot down over the “no prior commissioned officers” paragraph in program authorization 106. This was about a year and a half ago, and OP’s post is only about three years old. I’m beginning to wonder if there is a route to winging and I wasn’t told.
Talk about a thread resurrection! I guess better than a new thread. The person in question hasn't been seen since shortly after he made the post, to me that means it didn't go anywhere.

To be clear being approved for a lateral is not the same as being approved to go to OCS, and a direct commission means no OCS. The approval to apply for lateral means they would consider to bring him right in at the rank he was at in the USAF then go through flight school.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

I think you're trying an "apples to oranges" approach of trying to compare an inter-service transfer request (which the individual from 2020 was likely attempting) versus an OCS package which you're attempting.

I've seen a rare "officer to Navy SNA" opportunity back in 2020-2021 where the Air Force had a surplus of AFROTC Cadets and wanted to offer them the opportunity to commission / transfer to other services. Service secretaries got involved and Navy agreed to take some onboard. One of these USAF Cadets already commissioned as an O-1 in the Air Force, but had no designator/career field in the Air Force. He eventually ended up SNA, however this USAF-Navy transfer was approved by senior folks in the Navy.