• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26Jun20 SNA/NFO Board

I have been searching, and it looks like there's not one yet for the board in June, which I will be on. Looking forward to discussing our worries and anxiety :)). Good luck, all!

Austin-AJA

Question about the rolling board definition, does that mean that essentially you could send in an application and be selected in between board dates?

coolhand_505

One Eight Zero, one more time!
Question --- I'm a former Marine Enlisted and Officer. I was ad sep'd while in TBS at Quantico and sent home with a General Discharge under Honorable conditions after being an 0-1 for 15 months (minor trouble in town -- nothing that saw any charges or NJP). Over the last 11 years I've cleaned up my act, finished my commercial pilot's cert., and am re-taking my ASTB and re-applying for the coming board on 3 AUG. From 2009 - 2012 I was still young enough to apply for SNA/SNFO. They offered my SNFO but I turned it down and was then too old. YES I definitely regret this as I could have been a RETREAD by now. My recruiter says given my commercial cert., flight hours, and good LOR's that I'm highly competitive even though I'm 36 (old fogie in Naval Aviation years). I'm hoping that this is true.

When I got cut I didn't resign my commission -- so what I'm thinking is that the process will be similar to other services -- before the Navy changed their age waiver guidelines last October I was trying to go ANG/USAFR (A note for others out there they will NOT waiver a General discharge under honorable) I'm thinking it should be a re-in statement, then inter-service transfer from the USMC to the Navy. Which would also mean I wouldn't have to go to OCS. At least that's how the Air Force does it. The recruiters I'm working with haven't seen a case like this before as its a bit of an oddball case. Any advice, previous experience? Much appreciated

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Question --- I'm a former Marine Enlisted and Officer. I was ad sep'd while in TBS at Quantico and sent home with a General Discharge under Honorable conditions after being an 0-1 for 15 months (minor trouble in town -- nothing that saw any charges or NJP). Over the last 11 years I've cleaned up my act, finished my commercial pilot's cert., and am re-taking my ASTB and re-applying for the coming board on 3 AUG. From 2009 - 2012 I was still young enough to apply for SNA/SNFO. They offered my SNFO but I turned it down and was then too old. YES I definitely regret this as I could have been a RETREAD by now. My recruiter says given my commercial cert., flight hours, and good LOR's that I'm highly competitive even though I'm 36 (old fogie in Naval Aviation years). I'm hoping that this is true.

When I got cut I didn't resign my commission -- so what I'm thinking is that the process will be similar to other services -- before the Navy changed their age waiver guidelines last October I was trying to go ANG/USAFR (A note for others out there they will NOT waiver a General discharge under honorable) I'm thinking it should be a re-in statement, then inter-service transfer from the USMC to the Navy. Which would also mean I wouldn't have to go to OCS. At least that's how the Air Force does it. The recruiters I'm working with haven't seen a case like this before as its a bit of an oddball case. Any advice, previous experience? Much appreciated

You're not eligible for Naval Aviation. Read the program authorization. Between age and the prior commissioned service (para 6.d.), it's not gonna work for Navy...

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/Documents/PA-106_AOC_Oct-2019.pdf

coolhand_505

I’ve been told by the Officer recruiters that I do qualify. I’ve also successfully applied to SNA / SNFO 4 times in past years when things were more strict (As a prior O-1) I was offered an SNFO contract so I’m doubting they changed this - I may just fall under a different program authorization. I’m currently in process and will be on the 3 Aug board. Perhaps they allow it because I used to be SNA in Marine Corps - which is dept of the Navy

FormerRecruitingGuru

I’ve been told by the Officer recruiters that I do qualify. I’ve also successfully applied to SNA / SNFO 4 times in past years when things were more strict (As a prior O-1) I was offered an SNFO contract so I’m doubting they changed this - I may just fall under a different program authorization. I’m currently in process and will be on the 3 Aug board. Perhaps they allow it because I used to be SNA in Marine Corps - which is dept of the Navy

Just because someone "told" you doesn't mean you're actually eligible. Read the PA... active or reserve officers or former officers of other branches aren't eligible to apply. YOU FALL under this condition, meaning you are not eligible to apply.

If you were offered an SNFO contract, why didn't you take it? Sorry man, but your story isn't making any sense.

You're 36, prior officer, and with a non-honorable discharge. Your ship has sailed.

coolhand_505

Just because someone "told" you doesn't mean you're actually eligible. Read the PA... active or reserve officers or former officers of other branches aren't eligible to apply. YOU FALL under this condition, meaning you are not eligible to apply.

If you were offered an SNFO contract, why didn't you take it? Sorry man, but your story isn't making any sense.

You're 36, prior officer, and with a non-honorable discharge. Your ship has sailed.

clearly you didn’t read my original post sir. I said I do regret not taking the NFO contract as I’d be a RETREAD by now.

however regs are being more relaxed given the pilot shortage .I’ll wait for them to tell me no. Thanks for the input tho

FormerRecruitingGuru

clearly you didn’t read my original post sir. I said I do regret not taking the NFO contract as I’d be a RETREAD by now.

however regs are being more relaxed given the pilot shortage .I’ll wait for them to tell me no. Thanks for the input tho

The pilot “shortage” is for officers who are already several years in.

There’s not a shortage of OCS applicants and no, regs aren’t being changed.

coolhand_505

The pilot “shortage” is for officers who are already several years in.

There’s not a shortage of OCS applicants and no, regs aren’t being changed.

I’m not applying to OCS. Perhaps I got the wrong thread. Or you could have actually “read” my OP. I’d be a direct commission since I didn’t resign my commission. My ship has not sailed — The only ship I’ll be sailing on starts with CVN. Again, good day sir — don’t jump straight to discouraging someone — makes me wonder your motives for doing so. Doesn’t help. Cheers. -JT

exNavyOffRec

I’m not applying to OCS. Perhaps I got the wrong thread. Or you could have actually “read” my OP. I’d be a direct commission since I didn’t resign my commission. My ship has not sailed — The only ship I’ll be sailing on starts with CVN. Again, good day sir — don’t jump straight to discouraging someone — makes me wonder your motives for doing so. Doesn’t help. Cheers. -JT

So I read your original post and it looked like you were applying to OCS, and as you were commissioned it would technically be a lateral transfer, due to where my NRD was located we had several prior officers from other services that wanted to fly in the USN, before we knew what was allowed we were working with a prior USAF officer until NRC said stop, told us to give the USAF officer the number to the community manager and they would take it from there. It was the same story for an Army officer that had graduated ROTC commissioned as an O-1 and immediately placed IRR due to overmanning.

coolhand_505

So I read your original post and it looked like you were applying to OCS, and as you were commissioned it would technically be a lateral transfer, due to where my NRD was located we had several prior officers from other services that wanted to fly in the USN, before we knew what was allowed we were working with a prior USAF officer until NRC said stop, told us to give the USAF officer the number to the community manager and they would take it from there. It was the same story for an Army officer that had graduated ROTC commissioned as an O-1 and immediately placed IRR due to overmanning.

So your saying there’s a chance? Or perhaps an additional set of resources ? But yeah no worries on the misunderstanding — maybe I should have posted in commissioning sources. But ya I’d be lateral just unfamiliar with the Navy’s process and so are my recruiters