• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

26Jun20 SNA/NFO Board

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I’m not applying to OCS. Perhaps I got the wrong thread. Or you could have actually “read” my OP. I’d be a direct commission since I didn’t resign my commission. My ship has not sailed — The only ship I’ll be sailing on starts with CVN. Again, good day sir — don’t jump straight to discouraging someone — makes me wonder your motives for doing so. Doesn’t help. Cheers. -JT

You said you’re working with a recruiter. That’s applying for OCS programs.

coolhand_505

One Eight Zero, one more time!
You said you’re working with a recruiter. That’s applying for OCS programs.

as far as I know they work with laterals as well. Like I said before I went through a Navy ORO for 4 different apps in 09-2012. If there is a different resource for obtaining a commission in the Navy I’m all ears.

exNavyOffRec

as far as I know they work with laterals as well. Like I said before I went through a Navy ORO for 4 different apps in 09-2012. If there is a different resource for obtaining a commission in the Navy I’m all ears.

Recruiters cannot work with lateral transfers, on the Navy Personnel Command website look for Aviation Community Manager, they will give you the proper info on going from one service to another.

coolhand_505

Recruiters cannot work with lateral transfers, on the Navy Personnel Command website look for Aviation Community Manager, they will give you the proper info on going from one service to another.

can I do this even as an administrative sep? General Discharge under Honorable. Can they oversee reinstatement and transfer ? If so that would save me a lot of testing and application prep

exNavyOffRec

can I do this even as an administrative sep? General Discharge under Honorable. Can they oversee reinstatement and transfer ? If so that would save me a lot of testing and application prep

They are the ones that have final call on prior officers, given your unique circumstances I would contact them.

subreservist

I think you have confused a few folks here, myself included. What is your actual status this moment? You mention you did not resign your commission. However, you are discharged, correct? So are you civilian completely?

If you are a "lateral", you're not doing that through a "recruiter". Recruiters are OCS only. A lateral is pretty much driving their own package and getting guidance as needed from the respective service POCs.

I assume you are trying to come back to active duty?

I would suggest you contact your recruiter and confirm exactly what you are applying to and under what program.

But as others have mentioned, your chances are slim no matter which path you go. The fact that you did not accept a previous offer is actually another strike, in addition to DD214 and age. The Navy is not big on age waivers for pilots and there is not a shortage of applicants (many of which have no baggage).

Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

They are the ones that have final call on prior officers, given your unique circumstances I would contact them.

coolhand_505

This situation is a bit complex. What every one seems to be missing is that I have gone through the entire process with the ORO before and nobody ever told me I couldn’t apply to OCS.
Ive also been told by current Navy Officer recruiters that I am considered highly qualified since I have a commercial pilot cert.

as far as current status yes I am a civilian — but since I didn’t resign my commission I can be re-insisted as an O-1 and transferred to the Navy. I just don’t know the process so I’m contacting the Aviation Community Manager in the morning.

Even if it is a long shot everything changed last October. And recruiters seem willing to put in an aviation package for OCS. So why wouldn’t I apply just as a civilian?

FormerRecruitingGuru

This situation is a bit complex. What every one seems to be missing is that I have gone through the entire process with the ORO before and nobody ever told me I couldn’t apply to OCS.
Ive also been told by current Navy Officer recruiters that I am considered highly qualified since I have a commercial pilot cert.

as far as current status yes I am a civilian — but since I didn’t resign my commission I can be re-insisted as an O-1 and transferred to the Navy. I just don’t know the process so I’m contacting the Aviation Community Manager in the morning.

Even if it is a long shot everything changed last October. And recruiters seem willing to put in an aviation package for OCS. So why wouldn’t I apply just as a civilian?

There's a possibility your recruiter is trying to submit you for OSVET aviation program, however that requires you to be a winged aviator already.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...A-206_Pilot_or_NFO_Reserve_OSVET_Jul-2019.pdf

Not every recruiter is the same. I've met recruiters who thought they could work applicants with felonies, medical (like current asthma, etc.), out of age limts, etc. They even worked active duty enlisted or officers who either should be applying within their command or other procedures. They would embrace the whole "there's a waiver for everything" only to find out all that work went to nothing.

subreservist

It sounds like when you applied before, by definition, you were younger and most likely within age of the PA. Now you are not.

You are not applying as a lateral; you will be applying as a civilian. In the event you are approved for an age and RE-code waiver (not likely - you may be working with an inexperienced OR) and select, you would be commissioned as O1 from scratch in the Navy. All of your prior time counts toward service, but your previous time in grade as O1 goes away. You would start from O1 needing to do a full 2 years to promote to O2.

FormerRecruitingGuru

It sounds like when you applied before, by definition, you were younger and most likely within age of the PA. Now you are not.

You are not applying as a lateral; you will be applying as a civilian. In the event you are approved for an age and RE-code waiver (not likely - you may be working with an inexperienced OR) and select, you would be commissioned as O1 from scratch in the Navy. All of your prior time counts toward service, but your previous time in grade as O1 goes away. You would start from O1 needing to do a full 2 years to promote to O2.

Not only that, but older PAs might have allowed prior/current commissioned officers to apply. Nowadays, the PA language prohibits that.

Example: When I started recruiting in 2012, officer recruiters could work USNR enlisted applicants. That soon changed and USNR applicants had to work with their CCC.

subreservist

My recruiter says given my commercial cert., flight hours, and good LOR's that I'm highly competitive even though I'm 36 (old fogie in Naval Aviation years). I'm hoping that this is true.

The only thing that would make you "highly competitive" is a strong ASTB. Why are you retaking, if you got selected before with the score you had?

Also the change in age went from 27 to 31 - your recruiter really needs to give you a more realistic assessment of your chances to even apply.

subreservist

Not only that, but older PAs might have allowed prior/current commissioned officers to apply. Nowadays, the PA language prohibits that.

Example: When I started recruiting in 2012, officer recruiters could work USNR enlisted applicants. That soon changed and USNR applicants had to work with their CCC.

Yes, they had a line where prior could apply to age 35; now that's gone (although I don't think Aviation even had that; I know SWO did).

The "workaround" for prior Officer is one that no longer affiliated with the military in any way. They are completely discharged (both active and reserve obligations) and are a civilian, reapplying for commission again and willing to start over. Seen a prior O3 go through the process in this way and start SWO from scratch as O1.

coolhand_505

Ok,

Let me address multiple responses here.

Yes, I was young when I applied before (26-28). This didn't require a waiver but I also had to put in a waiver package for my discharge last time which was approved.

I think subreservist nailed the take here. I'm starting from scratch and will probably have to re-do OCS. Its ok -- the Marines have prepared me well during Enlisted boot camp, and OCS, for this contingency.

@subreservist. I'm not sure why they offered me NFO in 2009. My ASTB score was abysmal -- my last score was a 5/6/7. It was my first app after leaving the USMC so I wanted to try a few more to get SNA. Bad call. However in 2015 I took the AFOQT and got 94 for pilot, 90 for nav, and a PICSM of 90. I consider this test harder and longer than the ASTB but I studied extremely hard for it. So if i study as hard for the ASTB as I did for this test in 2015 then I think I've got a good shot at improving my score. The only reason I tried to go ANG/USAFR is for better family lifestyle and because I was aged out for Navy. I've always preferred Naval Aviation over any other path but at that point I was too old to apply anyway until these new guidelines came out. So a couple zoomie interviews later and I stumbled upon the reg myself that the USAF will not waiver a General Discharge Under Honorable (the recruiters were unaware of this --except the one from the A-10 unit in Idaho -- he finally gave me the correct gauge). So I went on two boards with the NDRB, the second one the officer panel actually did a telephone board with me and voted 5-0 to have my discharge upgraded to honorable, Unfortunately the SRA (Civilian Review that was NOT present at the board) shot it down. Two more boards with BCNR yielded no better results. So no more apps since 2017. Worked on civilian flight training after that and finished up my ratings thinking, truly, my ship had sailed. Until last October ...

So yes, I will require two waivers -- however I'm still putting in -- and which of you wouldn't still give it a shot even if it was a long shot? I mean this path does mean a lot to us right? Yes it does. So get behind me dudes --- I'm certainly not going anywhere -- and I certainly don't have anything to loose. I'm taking a short pause from working on my CFI to study my Barron's guide for a month, dropping some weight, and then I'm off to the races. If it doesn't work out I go to plan B, which is flying Kingairs into IMC in a couple years.

I have my former T-34 instructor, a retired one star, and 3 O-3's and O-4's writing LOR's for me.

Last edited: