• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25May20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

USN Blue Angel

I know this question should be directed to my recruiter, but I want your opinions as well.
I've been selected for SNA but have not gotten an OCS class date. My fiance and I are having a hard time planning our wedding, and my fiance is in school about to finish her associates degree. My fiance both wants to live with me while I'm in flight training and go to a university to earn a bachelor's degree. Is this possible? When would be the best time to plan the wedding? How soon after commissioning could I take leave if I wanted to get married then?
Thanks for your help everyone

USN Blue Angel

Also the Google doc is on view only mode so I can't add my information to it so ill put it here
Username: USN Blue Angel
Application: SNA
OAR: 57
AQR: 8
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 7
GPA: 3.05
Sex: M
Major: Air Transportation Management
Prior service: N
Flight experience: Y
Submitted: Y
ProRec: Not sure what that means
OCS Date: FY 2021
Accepted Designator: SNA

Kbcyclist

I know this question should be directed to my recruiter, but I want your opinions as well.
I've been selected for SNA but have not gotten an OCS class date. My fiance and I are having a hard time planning our wedding, and my fiance is in school about to finish her associates degree. My fiance both wants to live with me while I'm in flight training and go to a university to earn a bachelor's degree. Is this possible? When would be the best time to plan the wedding? How soon after commissioning could I take leave if I wanted to get married then?
Seems like you're in a great "just start doing things" moment--including researching the language (re "ProRec") of the job for which you have been selected. So: hound your recruiter for a class date; get married when feasible; research the tax / benefit arrangements open to you; study when it works for you two; take initiative.

USN Blue Angel

Seems like you're in a great "just start doing things" moment--including researching the language (re "ProRec") of the job for which you have been selected. So: hound your recruiter for a class date; get married when feasible; research the tax / benefit arrangements open to you; study when it works for you two; take initiative.
I appreciate your response, thanks!

dg_2020

Maybe this is not the best advice, BUT my partner and I pushed up our date significantly and eloped because between COVID small weddings (which we did not want) and the uncertainty of when I will be leaving for OCS it just seemed easier. Parents were not happy, though they were understanding once we explained to them we would host the actual wedding once things are more stable. Also, I've been in contact with a few SNA/NA's who all had relationships during this process and were able to make it work. They actually viewed their partner being in college for undergrad or graduate level as a surprise bonus because it helped their partner understand the situation with studying/deadlines/weird schedules/etc more!

Ghost SWO

Contributor
This isn't a recruiter question, it's a who has experience question.

Whenever I received word I was joining the USAF, I got engaged and was married in three months (to my girlfriend of nearly 4 years), and left for basic training three weeks after we were married. We did an all inclusive wedding package destination-style in Florida and that made planning fairly easy. If you wait until after you ship out, it's going to be more difficult. Lack of time to plan and execute a wedding and honeymoon is the biggest complaint I've heard from people who get married after Basic/OCS.

I would get married ASAP... you're already engaged...

Trust me, it makes everything smoother. You'll earn BAH while you're in OCS (bonus $$$) and transitioning to your first duty station, your wife will be on your orders since you're already married, etc. It's just a smoother transition into military life whenever that major part of your life is no longer something you're worried about in a rigorous training environment. You think you'll have much time during your studies or when you get to the fleet? I'd do it sooner rather than later!

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
This isn't a recruiter question, it's a who has experience question.

Whenever I received word I was joining the USAF, I got engaged and was married in three months (to my girlfriend of nearly 4 years), and left for basic training three weeks after we were married. We did an all inclusive wedding package destination-style in Florida and that made planning fairly easy. If you wait until after you ship out, it's going to be more difficult. Lack of time to plan and execute a wedding and honeymoon is the biggest complaint I've heard from people who get married after Basic/OCS.

I would get married ASAP... you're already engaged...

Trust me, it makes everything smoother. You'll earn BAH while you're in OCS (bonus $$$) and transitioning to your first duty station, your wife will be on your orders since you're already married, etc. It's just a smoother transition into military life whenever that major part of your life is no longer something you're worried about in a rigorous training environment. You think you'll have much time during your studies or when you get to the fleet? I'd do it sooner rather than later!

I am in the same boat. Planning a wedding during COVID is absolutely crazy. What about if you have OHARP after OCS? Does that count as leave?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I am in the same boat. Planning a wedding during COVID is absolutely crazy. What about if you have OHARP after OCS? Does that count as leave?
OHARP is permissive, no-cost leave in conjunction with your PCS orders so it shouldn't eat into your leave that you've accrued in OCS etc. You're just not entitled reimbursement for travel, transportation, or per diem.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
OHARP is permissive, no-cost leave in conjunction with your PCS orders so it shouldn't eat into your leave that you've accrued in OCS etc. You're just not entitled reimbursement for travel, transportation, or per diem.
Aren’t they forgoing OHARP during the pandemic though? I happen to be recently engaged and slotted for the 29NOV20 class.