• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Revitalized

Think our spreadsheet got deleted ?

Edit: Disregard, somehow the link disappeared from my google drive.

Last edited:

sskanchiraju

Hey everyone! I've been lurking on/reading through the thread for a couple of weeks now after I found out I was selected for NFO but I was also waiting for the results of the March 1st Intel board so I held off from posting for some reason(can't explain the reasoning for that). Intel was initially my first choice but after doing a bunch of reading and research courtesy of AW for the past three/four weeks I realized NFO was indeed the route I wanted to go. I'm really excited to meet y'all in OCS and beyond!

Edit: Not getting into Intel also helped solidify the decision :) , but I have been leaning NFO for a while now so excited to just have some clarity

sskanchiraju

Hey everyone! I don't remember if anyone talked about this earlier in the thread but for people who were selected with FY22 OCS classes, if you are currently working somewhere else what are your plans (if you are comfortable with answering) as far as resigning/making plans to leave your job? Just curious as I am trying to plan out the next couple of months until I hear about a date for OCS.

angelbutnotblue

ProRec-Y SNFO
Hey everyone! I don't remember if anyone talked about this earlier in the thread but for people who were selected with FY22 OCS classes, if you are currently working somewhere else what are your plans (if you are comfortable with answering) as far as resigning/making plans to leave your job? Just curious as I am trying to plan out the next couple of months until I hear about a date for OCS.

I am on a priority list or something because my physical qualification letter expires in October so I have to ship out before October of this year. I have already told my employers that I would be leaving between July and September to give them a heads up. I work for prosecutors and we have been slammed with trials lately so I plan on my last day at the office being about a week or two before I leave depending on how much notice I get/how the calendar is looking.

I know some people have mentioned before that most jobs allow you to go on "military leave" and they hold your position (or equivalent position) for about 5 years if I'm not mistaken. I would suggest checking your company policy and doing a bit of research. I believe it is called USERRA. I'm sorry if I have some information wrong - I'm not from a military background at all. But I took what I found to my HR Department and they were able to help me figure it all out for my job. I do not plan on ever coming back to this position but it is nice to have the option if I ever need it (which hopefully I don't). I'm not sure if this helps but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

sskanchiraju

I am on a priority list or something because my physical qualification letter expires in October so I have to ship out before October of this year. I have already told my employers that I would be leaving between July and September to give them a heads up. I work for prosecutors and we have been slammed with trials lately so I plan on my last day at the office being about a week or two before I leave depending on how much notice I get/how the calendar is looking.

I know some people have mentioned before that most jobs allow you to go on "military leave" and they hold your position (or equivalent position) for about 5 years if I'm not mistaken. I would suggest checking your company policy and doing a bit of research. I believe it is called USERRA. I'm sorry if I have some information wrong - I'm not from a military background at all. But I took what I found to my HR Department and they were able to help me figure it all out for my job. I do not plan on ever coming back to this position but it is nice to have the option if I ever need it (which hopefully I don't). I'm not sure if this helps but hopefully it points you in the right direction.

Thank you for the reply! I'll take a look into USERRA and see if I can talk to my company as well. I currently work for a super tiny start up that doesn't even really have a dedicated HR department so I will have to talk to the CEO of the company. On one hand I am finding myself mentally checking out from work as I would just rather focus on preparing for OCS both physically and mentally but on the other hand because the company is so small I play a pretty significant role so I don't want to leave them hung out to dry. I was thinking I could let them know that I would be leaving near the end of the summer as well and slowly phase out my hours so they could find a replacement and I could help with the knowledge transfer.

angelbutnotblue

ProRec-Y SNFO
Thank you for the reply! I'll take a look into USERRA and see if I can talk to my company as well. I currently work for a super tiny start up that doesn't even really have a dedicated HR department so I will have to talk to the CEO of the company. On one hand I am finding myself mentally checking out from work as I would just rather focus on preparing for OCS both physically and mentally but on the other hand because the company is so small I play a pretty significant role so I don't want to leave them hung out to dry. I was thinking I could let them know that I would be leaving near the end of the summer as well and slowly phase out my hours so they could find a replacement and I could help with the knowledge transfer.

Honestly, same. I enjoy my job but it is obviously not my dream. And ever since I found out I got in, I've been struggling to give it the same amount of effort I did before because all I want to do is get ready for OCS. I was pretty nervous to tell my employers that I got in and was leaving. Most people in my office only leave to go to law school or switch to defense for more money so I am definitely the oddball lol. But they were super supportive! My job is A LOT so I didn't want to just leave them hanging which is why I have been transparent and updating them with any news I get so that they can also prepare for my exit.

Also, should be noted that my HR Director hasn't had much experience with USERRA and NO IDEA if it even applied to me. I guess we have never had anyone leave to go to OCS before. That's why I printed everything out that I found and gave her a copy where I highlighted what may apply to me. She had to do some research on her end and eventually had to ask some other HR Directors who asked some that they knew as well lol. But we were all able to work our way through it.

NevarYalnal

Also, should be noted that my HR Director hasn't had much experience with USERRA and NO IDEA if it even applied to me. I guess we have never had anyone leave to go to OCS before. That's why I printed everything out that I found and gave her a copy where I highlighted what may apply to me. She had to do some research on her end and eventually had to ask some other HR Directors who asked some that they knew as well lol. But we were all able to work our way through it.
I work for a pretty big company so they have everything spelled out in their employee leave policy guide; i printed out a copy as a reference and will be reaching out to HR once I have a FINSEL in hand and not a moment before. In the meantime it's been tough focusing on doing anything beyond the daily/weekly BAU, especially since I am also taking night/weekend classes on the side right now. So currently priorities are 1) getting physically ready for OCS 2) doing well in my classes 3) work

angelbutnotblue

ProRec-Y SNFO
I work for a pretty big company so they have everything spelled out in their employee leave policy guide; i printed out a copy as a reference and will be reaching out to HR once I have a FINSEL in hand and not a moment before. In the meantime it's been tough focusing on doing anything beyond the daily/weekly BAU, especially since I am also taking night/weekend classes on the side right now. So currently priorities are 1) getting physically ready for OCS 2) doing well in my classes 3) work

I took my company policy guide with me too but for some reason it only really talked about employees who were in the reserves, National Guard, or got drafted. Which is why I also took research online I found since apparently I'm the first to go to OCS from here.

Thankfully, I already worked out in the mornings before work but I'm stubborn and didn't want to stop lifting so I just added running and swimming in the afternoons as well. I am TIRED. Hoping the timing works out to where I can have a few weeks in between this job and shipping out so I can enjoy the last little bit of civilian life and start making that mental shift.

Props to you though! I can't imagine having classes on top of everything. I think your priorities are straight lol.

NevarYalnal

Thankfully, I already worked out in the mornings before work but I'm stubborn and didn't want to stop lifting so I just added running and swimming in the afternoons as well. I am TIRED. Hoping the timing works out to where I can have a few weeks in between this job and shipping out so I can enjoy the last little bit of civilian life and start making that mental shift.
Wow you are a workout fiend! I am just doing running and pushups on alternating days each week. Not sure if I will be able to secure any pool time with most places still locked down in my area; the few operating facilities with pools are immediately booked every time they open up reservations. would love to do some laps as a refresher before i ship out for sure.

angelbutnotblue

ProRec-Y SNFO
Wow you are a workout fiend! I am just doing running and pushups on alternating days each week. Not sure if I will be able to secure any pool time with most places still locked down in my area; the few operating facilities with pools are immediately booked every time they open up reservations. would love to do some laps as a refresher before i ship out for sure.

I was a sprinter for most of my life so I'm strong for my size and very quick but anything more than 200m is a distance for me lol. I am already mentally prepared to be dead last while running at OCS.

I have some friends that are about to get their wings and they said swim is pretty easy at OCS but that the swim phase during flight school may be a little more difficult for some people. I'm in Pensacola and we've been open about 90-95% of the pandemic so you'll have no problems getting some laps in here before the swim phase in flight school.

NevarYalnal

I have some friends that are about to get their wings and they said swim is pretty easy at OCS but that the swim phase during flight school may be a little more difficult for some people. I'm in Pensacola and we've been open about 90-95% of the pandemic so you'll have no problems getting some laps in here before the swim phase in flight school.
i'm expecting weird looks when i jump into the local pool fully clothed and start inflating my trousers while treading water furiously.

exNavyOffRec

make sure you are good to go with your company, if something bad happens at OCS and you can't stay in it would be nice to have a place to go back to.