• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

Ghost SWO

Contributor
The only reason I was thinking of the associates was so I could use the other 2 years and get my masters. If I remember right you get 4 years with the GI?
I could use a set amount, but idk if they’ll allow me to get a masters that way as well?
Technically they give you 36 months of benefit. Each semester you take subtracts from that total, and they only charge for time that you're actively in school. It's like 8 months per year so it's more than enough for four years.

That's a good question. Concurrently? I don't think so. I think if you receive the yearly stipend for flight school, I'd imagine you burn 12 months of GI Bill benefit and just receive the money for flight school, and I think it's paid to the flight school directly. It's probably the worst way to do it monetarily but would at least speed up the process if you cover the rest.

Oh and you don't receive that beloved monthly stipend for housing with the flight school payment for Part 61.

Last edited:

Metromedic

Contributor
Technically they give you 36 months of benefit. Each semester you take subtracts from that total, and they only charge for time that you're actively in school. It's like 8 months per year so it's more than enough for four years.

That's a good question. Concurrently? I don't think so. I think if you receive the yearly stipend for flight school, I'd imagine you burn 12 months of GI Bill benefit and just receive the money for flight school, and I think it's paid to the flight school directly. It's probably the worst way to do it monetarily but would at least speed up the process if you cover the rest.

Oh and you don't receive that beloved monthly stipend for housing with the flight school payment for Part 61.
I should be able to shave off a year of the program with a PPL so it shouldn’t be that bad?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I should be able to shave off a year of the program with a PPL so it shouldn’t be that bad?
Usually the first semester is the PPL certification if you go fixed wing, so at a maximum I'd say you shave off one semester. It wouldn't be bad if you could do a Fall-Spring-Summer semester and crank it out in three back to back semesters. That'd be nice.

Metromedic

Contributor
I can only speak on it from an enlisted perspective but all you need is permission from your leadership and it's almost never an issue.
I’ll need to pick up a local ambulance company to keep my medic license active too seeing the navy doesn’t really have “medics”

Aviate11

Contributor
I've used the GI Bill to pay for two semesters of flight school, if anyone has question HMU. It looks like some others on here are doing the same thing too though so I'm sure there's tons of resource if anyone has questions.
I was fortunate to use my GI bill for private in 2015. I think they stopped allowing private funding. Is this true?

Aviate11

Contributor
I believe the GI Bill can only cover a PPL if it is part of a full commercial pilot program. Then they reimburse you for the PPL so it is initially out of pocket.
Ah okay, when I did it you had to do the career pilot program as well. But the VA paid the flight school/college directly. It was nice.

reed1327

Does anyone have an idea of when we might ship to OCS? I know it would be speculation, but there is a lot at home to prep for that day which I'm sure is the same for most of us.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
I believe the GI Bill can only cover a PPL if it is part of a full commercial pilot program. Then they reimburse you for the PPL so it is initially out of pocket.

I can confirm this — if you go through a community college and it’s part of a degree, then VA will pay. That’s the loop hole!