• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

25JAN21 PILOT/NFO BOARD

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
That makes it more of a toss up, actually OR's go to a school for like 4 weeks, now years ago someone had the bright idea that anyone could recruit officers without going to OR school and they can just do on the job training, it is the officers that normally go to OR school and some CPO's. In OR school you go over each PA, talk about the requirements, how you processes officers, how the applications are put together and what boards really look at. They also go over the manual and make sure you know how to use it.

There are now sailors in recruiting stations they have trying to recruit officers that have no business doing that, they half ass it because they don't know how to do it right or are under so much pressure on their enlisted goals they just don't care.

I guess what really burns me is so many of the issues that I read on this forum should never have happened, yes there are issues that happen, but the frequency is increasing.

There are some NRD's that are pulling back officer recruiting to only officers and select CPO's and that is how it should be.

He wouldn't be an NCC would he?
Okay so I should have said more in that. I have a O3 that’s my OR that gives me most of my hardline info. Like selection, expectations, application. Since I have submitted I have dealt with the E7 that is always “privy” to info. This is the second time he has thrown me crap that was proven to be utter bs.

The LT has been a champ. I have nothing to say negative about him.

exNavyOffRec

Okay so I should have said more in that. I have a O3 that’s my OR that gives me most of my hardline info. Like selection, expectations, application. Since I have submitted I have dealt with the E7 that is always “privy” to info. This is the second time he has thrown me crap that was proven to be utter bs.

The LT has been a champ. I have nothing to say negative about him.
sounds like the CPO is actually and enlisted recruiter that is "helping" the actual OR.

jpham89

ProRec Y SNFO
Contributor
That makes it more of a toss up, actually OR's go to a school for like 4 weeks, now years ago someone had the bright idea that anyone could recruit officers without going to OR school and they can just do on the job training, it is the officers that normally go to OR school and some CPO's. In OR school you go over each PA, talk about the requirements, how you processes officers, how the applications are put together and what boards really look at. They also go over the manual and make sure you know how to use it.

There are now sailors in recruiting stations they have trying to recruit officers that have no business doing that, they half ass it because they don't know how to do it right or are under so much pressure on their enlisted goals they just don't care.

I guess what really burns me is so many of the issues that I read on this forum should never have happened, yes there are issues that happen, but the frequency is increasing.

There are some NRD's that are pulling back officer recruiting to only officers and select CPO's and that is how it should be.

He wouldn't be an NCC would he?

That really saddens me to hear that they’re cutting corners to save a dime. My previous OR was an officer and was on his shit but then left so I was handed to an enlisted recruiter. He specifically said that I was his first officer he’s processing. I was naive to give him the benefit of the doubt (should’ve taken that as a red flag and find someone else). His mistake on my application we discovered this morning was that on my signed ASPR, he wrote 1370 as my first choice and no 1390. I wanted to go the SNA route but got picked up for NFO instead. I should’ve double checked his work — designator codes are not hard to understand nor find so I should’ve picked up on it. A word to the wise for future applicants is to always check your shit! Get whatever paperwork’s they want you to fill out and don’t be afraid to ask questions! Make sure you double check and triple check your stuff before officially submitting it!

Despite the discrepancies, I’m just glad they picked my old fart! Should be challenging nonetheless and I’m excited to see what this role gives me!

exNavyOffRec

Yeah, but I was really fine with either

I wonder if they just looked at first choices for this board, or what was marked as a first choice, that would make the board go faster and would explain why no one on this board was given picked for both designators.

I also wonder if your recruiter ended up putting NFO 1st due to the rumors that were floating around some of the NRD's

Metromedic

Contributor
I wonder if they just looked at first choices for this board, or what was marked as a first choice, that would make the board go faster and would explain why no one on this board was given picked for both designators.

I also wonder if your recruiter ended up putting NFO 1st due to the rumors that were floating around some of the NRD's
I think he put it first because I told him I wanted out of Vegas ASAP. NFO is the quick path to that. Either way I can go to flight school. Just the GI bill is gonna pay for it now ?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I think he put it first because I told him I wanted out of Vegas ASAP. NFO is the quick path to that. Either way I can go to flight school. Just the GI bill is gonna pay for it now ?
I've used the GI Bill to pay for two semesters of flight school, if anyone has question HMU. It looks like some others on here are doing the same thing too though so I'm sure there's tons of resource if anyone has questions.

Metromedic

Contributor
I've used the GI Bill to pay for two semesters of flight school, if anyone has question HMU. It looks like some others on here are doing the same thing too though so I'm sure there's tons of resource if anyone has questions.
I was just gonna get the two year associates that’ll take me to commercial with instructor.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I was just gonna get the two year associates that’ll take me to commercial with instructor.
Having an upcoming like 7.5 years of service with NFO... I'd actually use your salary to pay for the certs yourself if you have time, then save the GI Bill for other stuff later? Masters etc. Just because going back to school is such a chore after military service. Been there done that. You can't accelerate the program at all, it's stuck in a curriculum set to a two year Associate's program, so to burn 16 months of GI bill may not be really worth it when you could have completed the certs already by the end of your service commitment. Just my .02 cents.

Or maybe look into using a set amount of GI Bill per for a Part 61 (like $13,000 per year for flight school) and skip the Associate curriculum minimum to get it done as soon as you want rather than wait on a two year program. That's my biggest gripe about collegiate programs for flight school. They usually won't let you accelerate anything.

Metromedic

Contributor
Having an upcoming like 7.5 years of service with NFO... I'd actually use your salary to pay for the certs yourself if you have time, then save the GI Bill for other stuff later? Masters etc. Just because going back to school is such a chore after military service. Been there done that. You can't accelerate the program at all, it's stuck in a curriculum set to a two year Associate's program, so to burn 16 months of GI bill may not be really worth it when you could have completed the certs already by the end of your service commitment. Just my .02 cents.

Or maybe look into using a set amount of GI Bill per for a Part 61 (like $13,000 per year for flight school) and skip the Associate curriculum minimum to get it done as soon as you want rather than wait on a two year program. That's my biggest gripe about collegiate programs for flight school. They usually won't let you accelerate anything.
The only reason I was thinking of the associates was so I could use the other 2 years and get my masters. If I remember right you get 4 years with the GI?
I could use a set amount, but idk if they’ll allow me to get a masters that way as well?