• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

23 OCT 2017 SWO Board

Hayley D.

Out of curiosity, if someone is selected, if their OCS date is far enough out, can they elect to go to Great Lakes prior to? I asked my recruiter and he said yes but that I'd have to put an enlisted application in too, but that doesn't sound right. I'd like to do this if it's an option, similar to Army and AF not even giving you a choice but to do boot prior to OCS, but nobody seems to know about Navy.
Wait what... why would you want to do that?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Out of curiosity, if someone is selected, if their OCS date is far enough out, can they elect to go to Great Lakes prior to? I asked my recruiter and he said yes but that I'd have to put an enlisted application in too, but that doesn't sound right. I'd like to do this if it's an option, similar to Army and AF not even giving you a choice but to do boot prior to OCS, but nobody seems to know about Navy.

No

Hayley D.

Why wouldn't you want to show up as prepared as boot camp could make you? I currently workout 6 days a week, and 3 of those 6 days are with Marine OCS applicants and ROTC. but I still won't be as prepared as boot camp could make me.

Of course it’s important to show up in shape, but as potential officers, we should be able to take care of that ourselves without a boot camp environment.

Sending OCS selects to boot camp sounds like a bad idea. It would be unfair to make recruits have to deal with a bunch of people that would probably not miss an opportunity to say that they’re going to OCS right after boot camp. Boot camp is for them, and their introduction to the Navy, not for people to get in shape.

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Good point, but I differ in opinion. As potential officers, we should also be capable of not bragging about where we're going after the boot camp session is over with. It was done successfully in the Army and the Air Force (we also already go to MEPS with enlistees too and that went well, at least for me. In fact, I was the ONLY OCS applicant). Boot camp is by definition getting people in shape for the Navy. That's physical and mental shape, not only fitness.
I could see less people rolling to H class at OCS if they're forced to do boot camp first. And I believe that's for anything: appendix B related, fitness, RLP. It also lends perspective I think, to start at the bottom and work your way up. After all, if you can't perform through boot camp, what makes them think they deserve to go to OCS?

That's my perspective and it is shared with a number of retired and veterans. It was actually an enjoyable talking point with the O6 SWO I had my interview with, it isn't an outlandish idea at all. He told me it has even been thrown around.

I ultimately think it says a lot that at OCS, candidates are trained by enlisted personnel.

Last edited:

Decrypt

As someone who has gone through Navy boot camp I would have to guess that there is nothing that happens in boot camp that doesn't happen in OCS.
Based on what I have read on this website and others, I can tell you that OCS appears to be much more in-depth, intense and of course longer.
I was not in very good shape when I initially went through boot camp and I thought it was fairly easy. While some people do get into shape there, it is definitely not a fitness program.
There were several people in my division who were in worse shape after boot camp than they were when they started. This was quite a few years ago so I am not sure if anything has changed.
The purpose of Navy boot camp is to mold civilians into basically trained Sailors.

I have never heard of anyone enlisting before going to OCS. If this route is even feasible I would personally not do it if I was in your position unless I was okay with the possibility of being an enlisted Sailor should my attempt at OCS go south.
If for some reason you don't make it through OCS you would have to live with being enlisted until your contract is up. This is all theoretical of course.
Being enlisted is not bad, but it's not for everyone and I'm sure it goes without saying that it is the same for the Officer community.

If enlisting and go through boot camp prior was a possibility, I think it boils down to whether you specifically want to be a Naval Officer or be in the Navy (military) in general as either an O or an E.
If being a Naval Officer is your for sure goal, I would not add any unnecessary variables, especially ones that could potentially deviate you from that path altogether.
That's just my two cents.

CK#4

Good point, but I differ in opinion. As potential officers, we should also be capable of not bragging about where we're going after the boot camp session is over with. It was done successfully in the Army and the Air Force (we also already go to MEPS with enlistees too and that went well, at least for me. In fact, I was the ONLY OCS applicant). Boot camp is by definition getting people in shape for the Navy. That's physical and mental shape, not only fitness.
I could see less people rolling to H class at OCS if they're forced to do boot camp first. And I believe that's for anything: appendix B related, fitness, RLP. It also lends perspective I think, to start at the bottom and work your way up. After all, if you can't perform through boot camp, what makes them think they deserve to go to OCS?

That's my perspective and it is shared with a number of retired and veterans. It was actually an enjoyable talking point with the O6 SWO I had my interview with, it isn't an outlandish idea at all. He told me it has even been thrown around.

I ultimately think it says a lot that at OCS, candidates are trained by enlisted personnel.
Army and AF OCS/OTS is a joke compared to Navy OCS, that is why. You will get Navy Basic and then some at OCS. Take the time now to work-out (I recommend a cross-fit based routine instead of weight lifting) and start memorizing the gouge. If you show up to OCS in shape and with more than the big 5 memorized, OCS will be a much easier day for you.

We are trained by Chiefs and SSgt/Gunny's because they serve as mentors in crafting junior officers. They play a key role in our training, education and professional development. And more importantly than that, they execute our goals and missions with the blue and lower NCO's. They are officers right-hand in the fleet and that is instilled in us at OCS.

thedude

You gave me freaking heart palpitations when I got an email saying someone commented on this thread. I thought people were getting results already LOL. I am on edge
If you enlist then that should get rid of the jitters- you'll get in for sure!