• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

20JUN2022 INTEL Board

This whole thread just proves to me it’s a random crapshoot. You never know 100% how they’re going stack rank applicants against each other or what they’re truly looking for. I appreciate y’all sharing your inputs.

My out of pocket idea is that there’s a hat with your name in it and then they just draw your name. I’ve been looking on other threads for other rates and some people with higher oar scores and gpas were pro rec n.

I haven’t submitted my application yet, but I think it’s a myth that you have to have a certain degree, oar score and gpa and that guaranteees your application and people should stop propagating this fallacy.
Nothing is “100%” . That’s in life.

There are some constant themes that can help you be competitive when you are ready to apply. Have an above 3.5 GPA (the higher , the better). Have as many solid LORs and appraisals that you can ( I had 5 of each if I remember correctly). Like @exNavyOffRec says “OAR doesn’t really matter” but it helps to have at least a 45 (waiverable. I had a 47 ?). Field of degree definitely matters IF you’re not active duty (if AD, experience can compensate for what you received your degree BUT that GPA needs to be good). You do these things and it will make that “hat that they draw names” from have your name populate a few more times than others, increasing your chances for selection.

1830 PRO-REC Y
Second Application
55 OAR
CTI1 Chinese-Mandarin
GPA Waiver (pre military GPA 2.76 Exercise Science BYU, during military 3.8 Chinese-Mandarin AA DLI )
Master’s Certificate East Asian Security Studies NPS
2 CAPT LOR (1810, 3100)
2 CDR LOR (1810, 5100)
2 CDR Appraisal
1 LCDR Appraisal
Almost 10 years service (Tactical, Cyber, National Tours)
LPO over 600 45 JO’s 33 CPO’s 70 FCPO’s
CTI OCCSTDS Attendance
CO= CAPT 1830

1830 PRO-REC Y
Second Application
55 OAR
CTI1 Chinese-Mandarin
GPA Waiver (pre military GPA 2.76 Exercise Science BYU, during military 3.8 Chinese-Mandarin AA DLI )
Master’s Certificate East Asian Security Studies NPS
2 CAPT LOR (1810, 3100)
2 CDR LOR (1810, 5100)
2 CDR Appraisal
1 LCDR Appraisal
Almost 10 years service (Tactical, Cyber, National Tours)
LPO over 600 45 JO’s 33 CPO’s 70 FCPO’s
CTI OCCSTDS Attendance
CO= CAPT 1830
Congrats man!

exNavyOffRec

Nothing is “100%” . That’s in life.

There are some constant themes that can help you be competitive when you are ready to apply. Have an above 3.5 GPA (the higher , the better). Have as many solid LORs and appraisals that you can ( I had 5 of each if I remember correctly). Like @exNavyOffRec says “OAR doesn’t really matter” but it helps to have at least a 45 (waiverable. I had a 47 ?). Field of degree definitely matters IF you’re not active duty (if AD, experience can compensate for what you received your degree BUT that GPA needs to be good). You do these things and it will make that “hat that they draw names” from have your name populate a few more times than others, increasing your chances for selection.
AD is definitely a wild card, more so if in a IWC rate, for several years if you weren't in a IWC rate chances of being picked up as a civilian or non IWC rate were slim. then it flipped, and now it is more balanced and I feel the 12 year limit will help with that balance.

Also I had several officers proof read, and advise me on my package.I made sure to address common concerns, like how I plan on staying in an additional 20 years even though I have already done 10 (not just do 10 and get out). Addressed issues the Navy currently faces and how as an officer I would work to correct those issues. I was fairly naive my first time applying, and learned a lot in the process. Stick with it if you can. Work to improve your application and have as many people as possible look it over.

Grenbot

To add to the odds analysis and for posterity’s sake:

I got selected for 1810. I ONLY put down 1810.
I’m 35, I’ll turn 36 in ocs!, prior USMC arabling (5 years - stationed at Meade) and was a platoon sergeant for most of my last year. One deployment to Iraq.

My undergrad GPA was AWFUL. I dropped out of high school and then dropped out of college only to finish while deployed years later. I almost dropped out of my masters program, too, so my masters GPA was kinda garbage. But, I got my PhD in math from LSU with a minor in physics in ‘19 and I’ve been a professor for a few years.

I had no LORs from anyone, my OAR was 64 (with one day notice) and my personal letter was basically “I’m not an academic, I’m a military man, so imna get back in now plz ok thx”. Will gladly share it for anyone now or in the future.

Edit: the turnaround was also really fast. I talked with my OR first in like late April. Got to MEPS within two weeks and had everything submitted by the May deadline. So from first taking to my OR to getting selected was just under 4 months. From talking to OR to going to OCS will be about 6 months.

RhodesReese

I will say that it seems that the selection process is a “crapshoot”, but it’s hard to convey the full story here in AW without

1. Having a board member explain the thought process behind each selection

And

2. Seeing the entire application.

There could be something in some applications that those whom are outside looking in just don’t see. Such as:

Too much TIS ( for AD)
Not the right degree for the board members selecting
Weak appraisals compared with others that have applied
Weak “cumulative” GPA
Multiple waivers
Motivational statement

And other times it may come down to just numbers. If they can only select say 10 this board, those top 10 will be selected and everyone else, even if they had stellar packages, would have to, and should, apply for the next round.

Point I am trying to make is unless we sit the board we just don’t know the full story on why someone was selected or not.

Also I had several officers proof read, and advise me on my package.I made sure to address common concerns, like how I plan on staying in an additional 20 years even though I have already done 10 (not just do 10 and get out). Addressed issues the Navy currently faces and how as an officer I would work to correct those issues. I was fairly naive my first time applying, and learned a lot in the process. Stick with it if you can. Work to improve your application and have as many people as possible look it over.
Did you addresses common concerns in your personal statement? Or did you write a separate letter?

Ok, I'm thinking of submitting a reconsideration letter.
Was there an example you went off of?
I used an example from someone else who submitted one and got picked up. The big thing to remember about a reconsideration letter is you need to have something significant to change from you original package. I was put in a leadership position where I was specifically working with and mentoring JO’s and a new LOR from my leadership helped spell out that role too. But education, certifications, new evals if you are active are all things you can use to submit a reconsideration package.