• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

2011 accp

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
That's good because as a helo driver with no significant multi-engine fixed-wing time, you're not getting there anyway.

You made it as an NFO, right? Now, I'm sure you did a lot to set yourself up for it, but it does go to show that it can be done.

I don't care who's got the bigger "show." I just want to make a living doing what I enjoy and do pretty well.

I think the AD pilots are sick of being told that what they're doing doesn't compare to this "show" at the airlines.

Me, I'm proud of what I'm doing now. To be honest, I think that I'd have a better chance flying an airliner than the airline pilot flying onto a ship or into a dusty LZ.

However, that doesn't mean I am not interested in someday doing that job. If I do get that chance, though, I'm not going to look at my AD time as my time on some farm team; it will have been the place where I learned the skills that will hopefully have set me up for a productive second career. I'll be equally proud of my time doing both things.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What the hell is going on here lately? It seems like a lot of regulars, including a lot of mods, are hitting each other below the belt.

Am I missing something, or is my sarcasm meter broken? Sense of humor failure?
Kbay and I are just messing with each other. We're good.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What the hell is going on here lately? It seems like a lot of regulars, including a lot of mods, are hitting each other below the belt.

Am I missing something, or is my sarcasm meter broken? Sense of humor failure?

I think Phrogdriver hit the nail on the head. Some people's attitudes (and egos) have been getting a little out of hand. While some of it may be tongue in cheek (HAL & KBD), A4s' behavior on this site over the past couple years has been downright abusive - behavior I'm not willing to let slide anymore. This certainly isn't limited to the AD vs airlines issue, but it does seem to be one that acts as tinder for a big fire.

Brett

KBayDog

Kbay and I are just messing with each other. We're good.

Yup.

Except for being tired of hearing about "The Show." My idea of "The Show" is not the airlines; never has been, and never will be. Glad you like what you do, but it's not the end-all, be-all, and doesn't appeal to everyone. Nor should it diminish what works for other folks.

Different strokes, my friend.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've never knocked active duty pilots. But as I pilot, I believe I have it better than most. No BS outside the cockpit to worry about. I just go in, fly and go home. I get a great QOL and pay.

But taking the tactical side out, airline guys for the most part do have more experience in the day-to-day ascpects of flying. We fly 60-90 hours a month. We fly internationally. We regularly fly actual approaches to mins. We fly to 300 RVR. I'm not saying some military pilots don't do this, but not as many or as often.

Our job is to do nothing but fly and that is what we get paid for. If you want a "pure" flying job, this is "the show". Tha's my opinion and I think that is A4s. If yours is different, that's fine. But if you're going to post about not liking mine (or A4s), then don't post yours either. But from the number of military pilots bailing and wanting to get to the airlines, I think my opinion is widely held.

And my comment to insanebiker boy was just stating the facts. Yes I was a NFO but I did get significant multi-engine fixed-wing pilot time. Otherwise, like him, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to make it here.

KBayDog

But taking the tactical side out, airline guys for the most part do have more experience in the day-to-day ascpects of flying. We fly 60-90 hours a month. We fly internationally. We regularly fly actual approaches to mins. We fly to 300 RVR. I'm not saying some military pilots don't do this, but not as many or as often.

Precisely. No need to break out the ruler from yesterday, but the tactical side is where the big difference is. We don't fly 60-90 hours a month (which, by "Show" standards makes us less experienced), but:
-We still fly internationally.
-We fly actual approaches to mins (with more antiquated navigation equipment than your local C172 driver).
-We skim the surface. Blacked out. Desert. Urban. Ocean. To unprepared zones. Sand...fog...no airways...
-We land below mins, on the boat, at night, in all kinds of weather...because that's all we've got.
-We shoot. We get shot at.
-And, we do all these things in aircraft that were old when our grandparents flew them. (Except Phrogdriver. His bird was old when his parents flew them.)

I'm with you on the day-to-day BS that we have to deal with; it sucks. However, what we bring to the table shouldn't be looked upon as being JV by the guys who have experience going from airport to airport.

MasterBates

I got into an argument with the GF's brother over the weekend (USAF C-5 type).

Rat-
"I have far more hours, and international flying blahblahahaha"

Master-
"My airport does not necessarily stay where I left it, I fly international, I just don't feel the need to stop and deal with the natives for gas or food"

Rat-
"But I'm more ready for "The Show" (mind you, he's a ANG, also flies civilian) once I get my ATP"

Master-
"So how is your ANG unit going to UAVs helping you get that ATP"

Rat-
"Fuck you!"

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Im with HD...
Between Brett's kindergarten sissy slap fighting/A4's bashing (just plain queer {odd}), the my schlong is bigger than your shlong crap, the star wars geek shit, real estate investing as if we cared threads etc etc etc... Im not quite sure what the hell is going on here either...

MasterBates

And yes, some jackass at work decided that's the coolest song ever. And was singing it over tac. I wanted to choke him, but I was in the other plane.

MasterBates

When the junior (as in, got here last month) NFO was singing it, he did not realize his helmet bag was on the RADIO pedal.

When we figured out what the hell was going on, the copilot with me at the time looked at me and said "THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T TRUST NFOs WHO ARE PQ FOR PILOT AND TURN IT DOWN".