• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Just so you know, if you need to retake it you would have to wait 30 days from the previous test date. Also, for the reading section focus only on reading comprehension questions (answer a question about a given paragraph), none of the other stuff (definitions, incorrect words) is necessary.

For a scoring breakdown, check this file: http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/clinical/astboverview.pdf

Check the other posts and this website also. That has pretty much everything you need to know. If you take a look at all those links and get the basic concepts down, i'd say you're in good shape. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hey punk..don't be shady, help him out and send him a link to your most excellent study guide :). Unless of course you're wanting to start charging! (It's good enough that you might actually get some cash hint hint)

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Hey punk..don't be shady, help him out and send him a link to your most excellent study guide :). Unless of course you're wanting to start charging! (It's good enough that you might actually get some cash hint hint)

Haha, actually awolfinwater put a PDF of the Aviation/Nautical part of my guide up on his site, so I did give him a link. ;) If you want the rest it can be found here.

Flying Toaster

None
Thanks for the info guys, I had seen most of it before, but I hadn't gotten my a** in gear and read through all of it, so I'm working on that now. I also noticed math seems to be heavily weighted so I'll have to get my nose to the grindstone and study up on my math. I noticed on the NOMI site the spatial section is only 25 in 10 minutes, so that makes it a bit easier.

You'll want to do better regardless...go to the Stats/Scores thread and you will see that your peers that you are competing against are regularly getting 6's and above in all sections. Unless you are going Marine..it's really not a "pass/fail" ..there is no "safe zone".

Even if it doesn't matter after selection...try to kick the test's ass. Look at it this way, you're competing with a bunch of smart people to get the limited slots...

ALso, I recommend getting the Barron's ASTB Prep book at Barnes & Noble or the ARCO ASTB Prep book. The gouge is out there and there is also plenty of gouge on here as well to supplement the study guides.

Good luck,

Sooner

I edited my OP to update it, and add that it was Marines. That would typically be my attitude, but it seems as if the Marines treat it as pass fail and for pilots all you need is a 4/6/X.

Haha, actually awolfinwater put a PDF of the Aviation/Nautical part of my guide up on his site, so I did give him a link. ;) If you want the rest it can be found here.

Great study guide, I'll certainly print that out and look it over.

el douge

This one time at band camp...
Make sure you time yourself on the parctice tests...trust me. Time affected me a lot on the first time I took it, but I learned from it in a hurry. I know its a pain in the ass, but time yourself for like 2 weeks prior to taking the ASTB, you'll be surprised at how much time you take to do some of the math problems. There's a lot of gouge on here for everything ASTB as you've already been given by some of the guys on here. Best of Luck to you and work hard!

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
Yeah, I used to be majoring in aerospace engineering...and I totally know what you mean about dreaming of diff eq, thermo, etc. in my sleep. It still comes and goes now (5 years later...) in an occasional dream, but now it's political legalese and such.

I was looking over the guides last night and feel really good about it already. My uncle advised me to study for an hour every night for 1-2 months straight, but it looks like it'll be 2-3 hours for the next two weeks for me before my test on Dec. 12 - AND it will all be during pre-finals week and final exams. So I guess that means it's time for the fun to begin......

sbudnik1

pilot
ASTB Practice Test Scoring

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea, how the various subcomponents of the ASTB are weighted into the OAR, QFAR, PFAR,. I recently took the Barron's practice test for the first time and scored
22/30 Math, 25/27 Reading, 22/30 Mechanical Comp., 17/25 SA, 23/30 Nautical aviation info, and 25/34 on the Aviation Supp. If anyone as any ideas as to how this would compute or stand in relation to candidates applying for these programs I would love to know.
THanks

BullGator

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea, how the various subcomponents of the ASTB are weighted into the OAR, QFAR, PFAR,. I recently took the Barron's practice test for the first time and scored
22/30 Math, 25/27 Reading, 22/30 Mechanical Comp., 17/25 SA, 23/30 Nautical aviation info, and 25/34 on the Aviation Supp. If anyone as any ideas as to how this would compute or stand in relation to candidates applying for these programs I would love to know.
THanks
If you have the Barron's book it explains it in detail in the ASTB test information (before the practice problems, about mid way through the book).

The OAR score is taken from the 1st 3 sections. The PFAR score weighs the ANT and SAT (and mechanical?) sections more heavily. The FOFAR score weighs the math and ANT sections more heavily. --That is from memory, I would actually check the Barron's book.

And make sure you take the practice ASTBs while timed.

Yankee Uniform Tango
You can try messing with this spreadsheet. It's for the older version of the ASTB with the Biographical Information, but it gives you a relatively good idea of how the scores are computed.

Attachments

• ASTBWorksheet.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 254

cram88

BDCP Supply
Whew, problem with the machine is over! Got a 60/7/6/6. Let me know what you all think! Debating on whether I want to apply for the Pilot/NFO or Supply & Logistics field for BDCP. Again, let me know.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Great scores..just high enough to where they will help. 5's and 6's wont "hurt"..but 7's actually help. The OAR is great too, which is important for the OCS part of selection...since it is the "Officer" aptitude rating and all.

Great job man. Hope it was worth the wait.

nugget61

pilot
...If anyone as any ideas as to how this would compute or stand in relation to candidates applying for these programs I would love to know.
THanks

With regards to this part of your post, the best anyone could do is guess - because grades are standardized, you could get a 95% but if the average was a 99% you still did poorly; make sense?
The Navy doesn't release (at least to the general public) the necessary info to compute where you would stand, as well as the real questions are likely to be slightly different from the practice questions that you have seen.

To give you some advice, just keep reviewing it till you have to take the test (and practice against a clock). Then just be well rested and calm for the test and you'll do fine.

cram88

BDCP Supply
You all know of any forums that have a lot of people's scores, accepted into BDCP as well as not? Just trying to compare with others.

BullGator

There is also a thread on each board (last month's November 09 Board, before that October 09 Boards, ect). They are long threads, but that info is hidden in there too.