• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

edato

Hello all, I just found this great site, I wish I had known about it earlier. Here's my situation, I'm a fifth year senior majoring in electrical engineering (graduating in Dec.) I do pretty well in school, and I've been thinking a lot about my future lately and I guess I don't want to sit in front of a computer my whole life. I've always been interested in aviation, so I'm going to go for it, I just hope I'm not too late.

I'm just getting the ball rolling on applying to OCS (I'm taking the ASTB in a few days, like I said, I wish I had known about this site sooner). Anyway, I'm just wondering what my chances of getting a pilot slot are? I'm confused about all this talk of no pilot slots until '04, my recruiter never told me anything about it, obviously I need to do more research.

I guess I just have a few questions in general. Does it make a difference in your chances if you have no previous flying experience? What about pilot slots? I'm kind of worried that I will be hung out to dry if I graduate in Dec. and I wouldn't start OCS until a year later. I'm not too worried about the ASTB technical questions as I'm in engineering and it's familiar stuff. But I am worried about the bio part, what are they looking for and what are the questions like? Also, any general info about the whole process will be helpful.

Well, sorry for the long post, I'm looking forward to some answers; it's cool to have a site like this for people to share info, I'm sure I'll be using it often.

megrey06

Kingsville
First off, it's not too late by any means. There are several of us on this board who have been out of school for a few years already and are just now applying.

As for the long wait, it does appear that for now the 2003 pilot slots are pretty full. I hesitate to say completely full, because there are always exceptions. If it's what you really want, keep pressing and make it happen. Even if it takes a while.

The flying experience may or may not make a difference in flight school, but in today's competitive applicant pool I would say it would help in the acceptance process.

Do some searches on this site for any questions that you may have. There is literally a ton of info already here.

-Matt

Edited by - megrey06 on 07/16/2002 10:46:16

kaiangel

As for the ASTB, I am sure you will do great on the math section. On the BIO I would just say be honest but think aggressive. The person who administered my test said before the test that the Navy wasn't looking for pilots who wanted to wait for things to come their way, he said they wanted people who were going to reach out and grab the brass ring. I went into the test with that in mind and did very well on the pilot BI.

edato

Thanks for the help, I'm nervous about the test, but after surfing through some of the other posts, I've found a lot of helpful info. Of course anyone else who is reading this and has anything to add about my other questions is certainly welcome.

aiguo

I'll second earlier info--prior flight experience is a definite boost to your application, and as far as the aggressiveness, this is matches info I've gotten. I was told that the Navy is really looking for decisiveness--they'll train you to make the right decisions.

DonAndres311

My ASTB scores..do they stink?

I am active duty enlisted in the Air Force. I obtained my Bachelor's degree in management recently and just took the ASTB 2 weeks ago. I got my scores today. Now, I didn't study because I was terribly busy. I had recently taken the Air Force's exam and did very well. However, I'm not feeling so great about the ASTB scores. Then again, I really don't know how to decipher them. I just saw what others got and I just aint feelin it, if you get my drift. I would love a pilot slot, but, I'm mainly looking for a commission, possibly in Intel (my current career path).

Ok, here are the scores: 5/6/5 and a 47. Whatever that means. I was told they don't suck, but they're far from good. My translation is that they suck more than I'm led to believe.

Any advice would be outstanding.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I've heard that to be very competitive for SNA you need 7's and a 50. I'd say study your butt off and take it again. My recruiter said that most people who take it a second time usually improve every score. In my opinion, the hardest part of the ASTB is learning the way in which you're test. Don't get me wrong, you didn't suck it up and I'm not calling you stupid. I bet if you studied you could take those scores up quite a bit.

mike172

GO NAVY
goona hijack this alittle what is the OAR score? What is that seperate number after the x/x/x I know what those three are but what is the big number is that like the overall or something different alltogether?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am active duty enlisted in the Air Force. I obtained my Bachelor's degree in management recently and just took the ASTB 2 weeks ago. I got my scores today. Now, I didn't study because I was terribly busy. I had recently taken the Air Force's exam and did very well. However, I'm not feeling so great about the ASTB scores. Then again, I really don't know how to decipher them. I just saw what others got and I just aint feelin it, if you get my drift. I would love a pilot slot, but, I'm mainly looking for a commission, possibly in Intel (my current career path).

Ok, here are the scores: 5/6/5 and a 47. Whatever that means. I was told they don't suck, but they're far from good. My translation is that they suck more than I'm led to believe.

Any advice would be outstanding.
They don't suck but are not currently competitive. Find time to study and take it again. You should be fine.

Rouster

ASTB Questions

Hello,

I'm currently studying for the ASTB. I am using the marine gouge and the Arco books. I have two questions for the recent takers of ASTB.

For the mechanical section, the marine gouge gives me the impression that I won't be solving the problems for values, just understanding the concepts would be fine. The arco books, however, have mechanical problems in which I would have to solve for values. What are the ASTB questions similar to? Marine Gouge? Arco?

For the mathematical section, the marine gouge seemed relatively simple (for me), the Arco was much more trickier. Is the ASTB more similar to the Marine Gouge or the Arco books?

Thanks. :icon_glas

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I took version 4 on paper a few weeks back (im still waiting for the scores) and the mechanical is very similar to the gouge however there were a few problems that seemed to me like they needed some math, but like 95% were just knowing the concepts similar to the marine gouge. I also primarily studied the marine gouge for the math as well as the cliffs book. I heard the arco was bad so I skipped using it. 2 days before my test I was in a bookstore and looked at the arco and saw similar questions that were on the astb like a=2b b=6c c= type questions, so I recommend it, and I should have used it, and if my scores suck im buying it. The spacial is similar to all the gouges, right bank dive out to sea etc. Just be prepared for the math cause your time is VERY limited and I feel like I had to guess 1/3rd of it just to keep up, but I could be exaggerating. Also bring a timer.

Aircrew Instruc

None
The computer based version has a timer built in. Version 4 sucked there were a lot of questions on the exam that were not covered by the arco study guide. Also there are 2 different angles of bank on the spatial part so be careful. I have 2,500 flight hours and a few of the spatial questions had me saying WTF

Rouster

Aircrew,

Did you take more than one version? If so, are they really that different from on another?

Thanks.