• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Navy boy

Listen first, fly second. Make sure you are making the audio calls moreso than flying the plane. I heard playing video games with a inverted y axis will help as well. It took a few tests to get used to the inverted axis so I lost points there. You get after a while tho
Why do you say listen first fly second does that help more

Navy boy

The instructions will give you 3 different problems that could arise while you are following the planes with your throttle and joystick. Write down the procedures to fix each issue when they’re given to you before starting. That will make it a lot easier. The instructions basically tell you to turn different knobs on the joystick and throttle to high, low or medium. For me, it was kinda hard to tell what low and high were so I had to look at the gauges on the lower right hand side of the screen as I moved the knob.

willmur

Just took my first attempt today… 48 5/5/6. Was pretty disappointed but not entirely surprised as I’ve been transitioning jobs/cities/apartments which has consumed most of my study time. With a 3.74, am I still competitive for NFO? I’m open to retaking the test and have plenty of time since the next board is in May, but my OR said my scores would be fine with my GPA.

Jackmerius

Just took my first attempt today… 48 5/5/6. Was pretty disappointed but not entirely surprised as I’ve been transitioning jobs/cities/apartments which has consumed most of my study time. With a 3.74, am I still competitive for NFO? I’m open to retaking the test and have plenty of time since the next board is in May, but my OR said my scores would be fine with my GPA.
I would say retake. Your GPA is good but your scores aren't competitive. The test isn't that bad and I'm almost certain you'll do better the second time around once you know what to expect. I plan to retest as well and I got 55 and all 7's.

Any chance you could give some gouge on questions that caught you off guard? Also I'd say retake it. You'll probably do better and you have plenty of time.

JMT865

Study and retake. Although the minimums are what they are, 7's in AQR, PFAR, & FOFAR give you a 50/50 shot.

willmur

Any chance you could give some gouge on questions that caught you off guard? Also I'd say retake it. You'll probably do better and you have plenty of time.
I struggled with certain topics during the math portion and overall on the ANIT. I majored in political science and philosophy so there’s been a lot I’ve had to cover as far as math/science topics go, and have no background in aviation or sailing so everything I studied on the ANIT was totally new to me.

I think my biggest downfall was underestimating the exam and thinking that I’d be fine by just skimming each topic and not doing enough practice problems… If you’re reading this and have a similar educational background as me, HERE’S YOUR SIGN TO STUDY HARDER!

Wingin'_it

I just took the ASTB this morning for my first attempt (61 7/5/6). I botched the dichotic listening and felt underprepared for the PBM section, so I'm certain I can boost my scores with a second attempt. My gpa is strong, 3.971, but I know I need a higher PFAR for any real shot.

I'm hoping someone with more experience can tell me how long I should wait before I try again. I'm in no rush to blow through my three attempts, but I don't want to lose any knowledge I have from my first attempt. Thanks!

I just took the ASTB this morning for my first attempt (61 7/5/6). I botched the dichotic listening and felt underprepared for the PBM section, so I'm certain I can boost my scores with a second attempt. My gpa is strong, 3.971, but I know I need a higher PFAR for any real shot.

I'm hoping someone with more experience can tell me how long I should wait before I try again. I'm in no rush to blow through my three attempts, but I don't want to lose any knowledge I have from my first attempt. Thanks!
How much did you practice before hand on the stick and throttle portion?