• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

FloridaDad

I also would like to know about the question you asked about being conditioned for odds and evens in a specific ear. From what I gather, it's random and the listening portion in the sim isn't like the real astb. Unfortunate.
I'm wondering if there's another program or app out there that does the dichotic listening but switches it up so we could run it at the same time we do the stick and throttle simulator. I'm finding that my music degree is finally actually useful for once in this process! In college we would have to listen to like 8 bars of music being played on the piano, and then write down exactly what was played on a piece of staff paper. All we would get was the root note of the key the piece starts in and then the professor would start playing. Up to like 4 different voices being tracked that may or may not be in rhythm and you have to identify the pitch (not just odds or evens). Add on top of that time spent learning to mix music and being aware of the spatial-ness of stereo sound and identifying what to put where in the mix. For once... I feel like my education actually prepped me for something on this darn test because this is so much easier than aural dictation of music! Now if only I minored in engineering....

Caleb.302

Given that the first 2022 board meeting got pushed to May, my guess is that I may have a better chance with this score since, in my opinion, they will probably be accepting a larger amount of applicant due to the meeting being almost half-way into the year.

No board till May 2022? Does that mean that the Dec. 1 deadline is gone?

FloridaDad

Been working on mechanics today and definitely need to brush up on some stuff. How similar is the ASTB mechanical test to the ASVAB one? I ask because I'm looking for more study material and if they're roughly the same that's a bunch of easy to find material.

Jackmerius

So I took the ASTB today for the first time. I got 55 OAR 7/7/7. I have a private pilot's license to hopefully counteract the fact that I have a low GPA: 2.4. (Messed around early in college while trying take STEM courses. I also am ex enlisted navy. I am only open to an SNA slot otherwise I'll take my chances with the other branches pilot slots (I figure army since a degree isn't required for WOFT). My question to the forum is, what are my chances realistically of getting a SNA slot with these scores?

So I took the ASTB today for the first time. I got 55 OAR 7/7/7. I have a private pilot's license to hopefully counteract the fact that I have a low GPA: 2.4. (Messed around early in college while trying take STEM courses. I also am ex enlisted navy. I am only open to an SNA slot otherwise I'll take my chances with the other branches pilot slots (I figure army since a degree isn't required for WOFT). My question to the forum is, what are my chances realistically of getting a SNA slot with these scores?

Did you have to reset them after each emergency?

Watch out for WOFT. Just this past October they reset the TIG for WO1 to start after flight school. Which means 4 years at WO1 instead of just two.

Jackmerius

Did you have to reset them after each emergency?

Watch out for WOFT. Just this past October they reset the TIG for WO1 to start after flight school. Which means 4 years at WO1 instead of just two.
No, not after every emergency. It just asked to do it in the beginning of the test. I did not understand if I was dialing up or down initially but didn't realize there were two gauges in the bottom right until it was too late I probably missed two questions because of that. Definitely right the procedures down but see if you can adjust the dials before the emergency actually occurs. It might help if permissible

Jackmerius

Anything that surprised you about the test? Anything you didn't expect?
I used Barron's study guide to prepare. The math section had hardly any distance problems it was mainly polynomials with a couple probability problems here and there. The reading section doesn't have the sentence that tells you what to look for like in the study guide on the test. It's just a passage and then four options. The mechanical section didn't have the pulley problems I was expecting or gear problems that I was expecting. A couple of the which unit does this apply to type questions. All together it was not exactly what I was seeing in the study guide which threw me off and my score suffered. The other sections were straightforward

I used Barron's study guide to prepare. The math section had hardly any distance problems it was mainly polynomials with a couple probability problems here and there. The reading section doesn't have the sentence that tells you what to look for like in the study guide on the test. It's just a passage and then four options. The mechanical section didn't have the pulley problems I was expecting or gear problems that I was expecting. A couple of the which unit does this apply to type questions. All together it was not exactly what I was seeing in the study guide which threw me off and my score suffered. The other sections were straightforward
do you remember what kind of questions were on the mechanical section? like do i need to be memorizing a bunch of physics formulas and is there a lot of math on it?

no formulas, just concepts. Little to no math
what type of questions was it if not pulleys/levers/gears like you said? Do you mind also describing how fast the targets were moving in reference to the speed setting on the jantzen simulator? if you dont know what im talking about then nevermind. thanks for the info!