• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

FloridaDad

I used the 'jantzenx' simulator, but probably only accumulated about an hour of practice. I don't have a HOTAS setup or anything, and I'm using my laptop trackpad, which is not ideal. The hardest part for me was the stick/tracking.

Sim: https://jantzenx.github.io/ASTB/
You can set up a pretty cheap joystick to work with that simulator using JoyToKey
I'm actually doing a few rounds right now as we speak...well around me typing that is lol.

FloridaDad

I think each was like 60 seconds or so. You won't really notice honestly. You'll be too focused.
That's what I've set my practice rounds at! :) Ya it goes by super fast. I actually find that when I do listening at the same time it feels easier because I just "zone out" into it.

The processors know how to determine the total TIS, they basically add up every day your spent on AD or drilling, etc and then get the number.

also there is no quota (billets available for FY 22) for SWO-CW
Looks like my recruiter is still saying I am waiting for results from an SWO-CW board on 29 Nov 21...however, I haven't seen this board exist anywhere. Any clue on this?

exNavyOffRec

Looks like my recruiter is still saying I am waiting for results from an SWO-CW board on 29 Nov 21...however, I haven't seen this board exist anywhere. Any clue on this?
because there is no SWO-CW currently for OCS, he is waiting for something that isn't going to arrive, just like there is no SWO-IP for OCS this year either.

Hey all! I am wondering if anyone can give a break down of how the ASTB is scored. I am trying to figure out how well off I am via the practice tests I've found on this forum. I know that the dichotic listening portion is a different story, but I'd like to find out where I fall for everything else.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Scored stanine, with the first score being you AQR (academic qualification (?) rating), pfar (pilot score), and FOFAR (flight officer score). All of the components after the reading math mechanics tests contribute to your aqr pfar and fofar. Look up stanine to see exactly what each score represents considering where you are versus everyone else who takes the test

bcal

Hey all! I am wondering if anyone can give a break down of how the ASTB is scored. I am trying to figure out how well off I am via the practice tests I've found on this forum. I know that the dichotic listening portion is a different story, but I'd like to find out where I fall for everything else.
OAR (Officer Aptitude Rating): is a score based upon & in the order of: Math, Reading Comprehension, Mechanical.

Next,

You begin the ASTB portion, consisting of AQR (academic qualification rating) which is a score used to determine the probability of you making it through the “ground school” section of flight school. I’m not 100% sure how the score is determined but I heard it consist of Math and how well you did in the test concerning navy history, navy & aviation terms and concepts.

The next score is the PFAR which is used to determine the chance of you making it through flight school. Consist of UAV, and tracking via hotas system and as well as the emergency section.

Lastly, is the FOFAR which is for the NFO position. Not really sure where the score comes for this but I’m assuming a mixture of things but more of the emergency section or something.

To best prepare for the ASTB portion in my opinion is to purchase a HOTAS system and practice with the simulator in air warriors. Secondly, utilize the UAV YouTube compass trick and practice it with the “ASTB Prep” in the App Store. That app will also give you a more in depth understanding of how the scores are determined

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

One thing to keep in mind is that the test is adaptive, if you get a question wrong, then one right, then wrong it could determine you have plateaued at a specific level, so while on practice test a person may get 70% of all the questions correct if you get a string of ones wrong that will be a concern.

OAR (Officer Aptitude Rating): is a score based upon & in the order of: Math, Reading Comprehension, Mechanical.

Next,

You begin the ASTB portion, consisting of AQR (academic qualification rating) which is a score used to determine the probability of you making it through the “ground school” section of flight school. I’m not 100% sure how the score is determined but I heard it consist of Math and how well you did in the test concerning navy history, navy & aviation terms and concepts.

The next score is the PFAR which is used to determine the chance of you making it through flight school. Consist of UAV, and tracking via hotas system and as well as the emergency section.

Lastly, is the FOFAR which is for the NFO position. Not really sure where the score comes for this but I’m assuming a mixture of things but more of the emergency section or something.

To best prepare for the ASTB portion in my opinion is to purchase a HOTAS system and practice with the simulator in air warriors. Secondly, utilize the UAV YouTube compass trick and practice it with the “ASTB Prep” in the App Store. That app will also give you a more in depth understanding of how the scores are determined
I'm about 99% sure emergency procedures have to do with PFAR and UAV has more to do with FOFAR, based on the fact that their actual jobs deal with those and my experience on the test.

Last edited:
Scored stanine, with the first score being you AQR (academic qualification (?) rating), pfar (pilot score), and FOFAR (flight officer score). All of the components after the reading math mechanics tests contribute to your aqr pfar and fofar. Look up stanine to see exactly what each score represents considering where you are versus everyone else who takes the test
Thank you