• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

How is the mechanical comprehension portion of the exam? Do I need to be studying and memorizing physics formulas? Such as kinetic and potential energy, momentum, impulse, and stuff like that. Or is it non math based?

For the dichotic listening portion, is a number in one ear always said in tandem with a letter in another? Or can you hear a number in each ear at the same time?

smpl_dude

From what I remember, for the mechanical portion, it wasn't a lot of math, mostly concepts. I used kyle's study guide and that was plenty for me. It'll be similar to what you'd see in an intro to physics course. As long as you understand the concepts behind gravity, momentum, mass, etc, you shouldn't have any problems on this portion.

The dichotic listening portion was a wild ride. There's letters and numbers coming at you from both ears. It's very difficult to prepare for. All I can stress is that you listen to the directions, only listen to the ear they tell you to listen to, and hit the button when they tell you to. And when it gets combined with the throttle and stick, I prioritized:
  1. Listening
  2. The stick
  3. The throttle
When I did this, I really did kind of zone out how other people have said. You just focus on listening, look at the 2d target, and keep the throttle target in your peripheral vision. Just focus on listening and do your best to track the targets at the same time.

It also really does help if you lean into whatever ear you're supposed to be listening to.

From what I remember, for the mechanical portion, it wasn't a lot of math, mostly concepts. I used kyle's study guide and that was plenty for me. It'll be similar to what you'd see in an intro to physics course. As long as you understand the concepts behind gravity, momentum, mass, etc, you shouldn't have any problems on this portion.

The dichotic listening portion was a wild ride. There's letters and numbers coming at you from both ears. It's very difficult to prepare for. All I can stress is that you listen to the directions, only listen to the ear they tell you to listen to, and hit the button when they tell you to. And when it gets combined with the throttle and stick, I prioritized:
  1. Listening
  2. The stick
  3. The throttle
When I did this, I really did kind of zone out how other people have said. You just focus on listening, look at the 2d target, and keep the throttle target in your peripheral vision. Just focus on listening and do your best to track the targets at the same time.

It also really does help if you lean into whatever ear you're supposed to be listening to.
Thank you, are you told what the target ear is?

Anyone know what a good score on the Janzen simulator would look like that translates to 9/9/9. And on what setting? Low med high difficulty?

FloridaDad

Anyone know what a good score on the Janzen simulator would look like that translates to 9/9/9. And on what setting? Low med high difficulty?
No idea but if you go to the original thread I just made a post about discovering how the resolution of your monitor will actually affect your score on that thing. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it still practice your butt off, but keep in mind that the scores others are posting may be on a very different set up and I saw a difference of 30ish points just by going from 1440p to 1050 resolution.

Also your performance on that particular test will only affect one of your score numbers (the PFAR). Your OAR and FOFAR aren't affected by that test as long as I'm not mistaken. The FOFAR is affected by how you do on the UAV sim. (Once again please correct me if I'm wrong guys).

No idea but if you go to the original thread I just made a post about discovering how the resolution of your monitor will actually affect your score on that thing. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it still practice your butt off, but keep in mind that the scores others are posting may be on a very different set up and I saw a difference of 30ish points just by going from 1440p to 1050 resolution.
Holy hell that's really good info. I have a 1440p monitor and was getting about 100s on the hardest settings. I began to feel like I couldn't do much better. I'll go read your original post.

FloridaDad

Holy hell that's really good info. I have a 1440p monitor and was getting about 100s on the hardest settings. I began to feel like I couldn't do much better. I'll go read your original post.
Dude I was having the same freak out until I moved it over to my smaller monitor on the side just to see if it made a difference lol

Dude I was having the same freak out until I moved it over to my smaller monitor on the side just to see if it made a difference lol
I also would like to know about the question you asked about being conditioned for odds and evens in a specific ear. From what I gather, it's random and the listening portion in the sim isn't like the real astb. Unfortunate.