• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

chunkylver99

Hey guys, for those who have taken the OAR, for the mechanical section, are the problems similar to the gouges for the most part? I've been reading they aren't too similar, are there any areas I should really focus on? I'm good with gears, mech advantage and pulleys for sure, and electrical I'm decent on.

Last edited:

Brochacho

Limited Duty Officer
Looking to apply for lateral conversion for NFO this next year. Planning to re-take the ASTB in the Spring; however, my previous scores from April 2013 were -

OAR: 46
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5

Aiming for 7's across the board this next go around. Just need to brush up on my math!

exNavyOffRec

Looking to apply for lateral conversion for NFO this next year. Planning to re-take the ASTB in the Spring; however, my previous scores from April 2013 were -

OAR: 46
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5

Aiming for 7's across the board this next go around. Just need to brush up on my math!
Study and I am sure your scores will improve, have you connected with any that done a lateral transfer from LDO to aviation? They might have some good tips, I know 2 that tried LDO to URL, 1 was a LDO SWO (had his pin) and was denied multiple times, the other was Supply and same issue, but in may aspects aviation is more open to unusual circumstances.

Brochacho

Limited Duty Officer
Study and I am sure your scores will improve, have you connected with any that done a lateral transfer from LDO to aviation? They might have some good tips, I know 2 that tried LDO to URL, 1 was a LDO SWO (had his pin) and was denied multiple times, the other was Supply and same issue, but in may aspects aviation is more open to unusual circumstances.

Other than those in the offramp designators, I've only met a few people who have successfully converted from LDO to URL. I know one of the toughest hurdles is getting the LDO OCM to release us. I personally know of an LDO who had his SWO pin and had a recommendation from an Admiral, yet was still denied conversion.

But we only get one military career and I fully intend to give the Navy few reasons to tell me no. If it works out, then great. If not, then my current community will receive 100% of my motivation and effort until I retire.

exNavyOffRec

Other than those in the offramp designators, I've only met a few people who have successfully converted from LDO to URL. I know one of the toughest hurdles is getting the LDO OCM to release us. I personally know of an LDO who had his SWO pin and had a recommendation from an Admiral, yet was still denied conversion.

But we only get one military career and I fully intend to give the Navy few reasons to tell me no. If it works out, then great. If not, then my current community will receive 100% of my motivation and effort until I retire.

I hope you have better luck, I would have thought the LDO with his SWO pin would have been a no brainer, and he would have made an awesome CO.

thegreatLake

Quick question. So the correct formula for this question is (4)0.25x + 0.10x = 2.20. I'm just wondering if someone can explain why it can't be 0.25x + (1/4)0.10x = 2.20? Thanks31184

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.11.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.11.55 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.11.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.11.55 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 27

NevarYalnal

Quick question. So the correct formula for this question is (4)0.25x + 0.10x = 2.20. I'm just wondering if someone can explain why it can't be 0.25x + (1/4)0.10x = 2.20? ThanksView attachment 31184
either formula works but you would need to be careful with what 'x' represents. The first formula gives you the number of dimes, the second formula gives you the number of quarters, meaning you would then need to divide by 4 to get the correct answer.

thegreatLake

either formula works but you would need to be careful with what 'x' represents. The first formula gives you the number of dimes, the second formula gives you the number of quarters, meaning you would then need to divide by 4 to get the correct answer.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

CCCC1234

I've been taking practice tests online. Some of them are 100% reading comprehension (inferring main ideas from a passage). But I looked at the Barron's book as well; the rct section there has vocabulary questions.

Like ____ most nearly means:
a)
b)
C)
d)

Some of these questions stand alone, so there is no passage to refer to to try and use context to figure out the meaning.

Are there going to vocabulary/definition questions on the astb? Or just reading comprehension questions? What is that section actually like?

thegreatLake

Can anyone verify the correct formula to answer this problem? I'm thinking the addition rule but can't seem to solve it. Thanks for the help31260

krae3443

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has posted material on here I took it today and got a 53 6/6/7. Just a bit of my background is B.A. in sociology emphasis anthropology, B.S. in geography, minor in middle eastern studies graduated with honors and a 3.85GPA. Masters in geography and certificate in geographic information science 4.0GPA. I had not taken anything but statistics in college and only every took one semester of physics in college. I recommend Barron's books and there are some others you can get off amazon but be careful there are some errors with questions but the concepts in the chapters themselves can be in depth on subjects the Barron's book didn't go over. Definitely go through all the old posts and the study guides.

Reading Section: Not too much to study for just I think get comfortable reading quickly and learning what the take away is and ask yourself what was said and don't assume.

Mechanical Comprehension: That section was glad I read a bit into circuits the night before the test. There was a question on what alternating current was, question about tension on a rope. I found just from practicing and reading Barron's and the study guides it was easy to answer all the questions in time. Pendulum question on greatest kinetic energy. Lots of if water is flowing through where is it flowing fastest.

Math: The videos on Khan academy for exponents and exponents and square roots helpful. No logs for me on this section, but still recommend studying them. Also recommend knowing how to work with fractions and probability well. I hadn't taken math and years and studying for two months every night while working full time it is possibly.

Now for the rest the flashcards for the aviation and nautical terms helped a lot. I promise the rest feels like a stressful mess after that but just breath and keep calm and keep going. I personally never had touched any flight sim stuff or even video games prior to it. I had practiced the UAV portion and so that wasn't too bad. The hearing part definitely screwed up on a bit and felt the rest was a disaster so I promise you truly have no idea till the end exactly how your scores will turn out. Definitely use the paper compass trick for the UAV, write out the emergency procedures and try to follow as best as you can with the cross hairs.

Definitely go through Kyle's drive on here highly recommend it:

reaganreeves

Looking for some feedback on my competitiveness for Pilot/NFO and/or Crypto/IP boards based on my scores and GPA, etc.
OAR: 47 (kind of low)
ASTB: 5/5/5 (low too)
GPA: 4.0
Degree: Major in Homeland Security
Minors in Fraud and Arabic
Concentration Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies
Division II College Athlete
Apart of the Honors College at my school
Involved in 5 clubs on campus
Run the lifting committee for my team athletics
Have three seasonal jobs (unrelated to my degree)
I am taking the ASTB again because I think I can do better the second time. Just curious how I look so far.