• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

krae3443

Looking for some feedback on my competitiveness for Pilot/NFO and/or Crypto/IP boards based on my scores and GPA, etc.
OAR: 47 (kind of low)
ASTB: 5/5/5 (low too)
GPA: 4.0
Degree: Major in Homeland Security
Minors in Fraud and Arabic
Concentration Certificate in Middle Eastern Studies
Division II College Athlete
Apart of the Honors College at my school
Involved in 5 clubs on campus
Run the lifting committee for my team athletics
Have three seasonal jobs (unrelated to my degree)
I am taking the ASTB again because I think I can do better the second time. Just curious how I look so far.

What did your recruiter think about your scores is the main question?

reaganreeves

What did your recruiter think about your scores is the main question?
She said I could take again because everyone does better their second time but if I wasn’t interested in NFO/Pilot she wouldn’t recommend me taking again. She really left it up to me.

Last edited:

krae3443

She said I could take again because everyone does better their second time but if I wasn’t interested in NFO/Pilot she wouldn’t recommend me taking again. She really left it up to me.
Well you have a good gpa and a lot of other good stuff going for you. It just depends on what you wanna go for most and if you feel like NFO/Pilot is your goal. If you do decide to retake it then you have to figure out how much time can you devote to studying and when you will then take it. It really is up to you honestly but remember if you retake it your previous scores do not count so you need to figure out what this time could you do differently to improve.

ocelot

Quoting what @exNavyOffRec has said, the Main component the SNA/NFO board looks at is your ASTB score (7/7/7) with that said i was picked up with a 45 7/8/7 OAR/ASTB so you application is relatively competitive.
Hey, I just viewed your post earlier. I am just messaging to request some constructive criticism regarding my packet. Based on the information provided, what are the odds of being selected for OCS?
  • OAR 45
  • GPA 3.4
  • Degree: Mathematics
  • Concentration: Computer Science
  • Volunteered at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
  • Part-time Job as a mathematics tutor for my university
  • Attended a Hackathon created a video game using Construct.
  • 3 Letters of recommendation from my mathematics professors
Do you think my application would be competitive for SWO or Supply Corps Officer? Should I retake the OAR once more?

NavyFanatic32

Hey, I just viewed your post earlier. I am just messaging to request some constructive criticism regarding my packet. Based on the information provided, what are the odds of being selected for OCS?
  • OAR 45
  • GPA 3.4
Do you think my application would be competitive for SWO or Supply Corps Officer? Should I retake the OAR once more?
I think you have a good shot! I just got accepted to Supply with 44 Oar (Got a waiver approved). Supply looks deeper into your application so i think you will be fine. SWO, you also got a goof chance as well as it is a little less competitive then supply. I say submit to the next SWO Board (August) and next Supply Board (September). Good luck!

Cgull52

Hey, just looking for some helpful advice to raising my FOFAR and AQR scores. Any advice on what specifically to study?? Thanks in advance for any help.

exNavyOffRec

• OAR 45
  • GPA 3.4
you should have a good shot, just go for it.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)
Hey y'all, I took the ASTB back in March but my recruiter called me last week to tell me I was not picked up for either of the spots I applied for. Needless to say, I will be retaking the test, but it'll be a while since I am considering getting eye surgery for better vision.

That being said, do you guys have any tips for the second time around? I know I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted on the PBM, so I'm curious as to the effectiveness of using a flight sim or similar programs for practice; it's probably been discussed at length somewhere in this thread so I'll do more searching after work today. Thanks in advance!

PEFO Silver-Shades

• OAR 45
  • GPA 3.4
I applied for an SNA spot with a 45 7/8/7 and a 3.9 GPA and got a spot. You should have a chance of getting a spot with those numbers

Wareagle5

Hello everyone! I'm needing a second opinion on whether or not my scores are competitive. I'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea to take the ASTB again. Planning on applying as NFO for this upcoming board. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
OAR:45
B.S. Special Education GPA: 3.72
Work Experiences: High School Special Education Teacher/Geometry teacher
Assistant football coach
Division II Football Player/Team Captain
Volunteer work: Big Brother Big Sisters/Special Olympics
3 Letters of recommendation from President of University and previous football coaches.

NevarYalnal

Hello everyone! I'm needing a second opinion on whether or not my scores are competitive. I'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea to take the ASTB again. Planning on applying as NFO for this upcoming board. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
OAR:45
B.S. Special Education GPA: 3.72
Work Experiences: High School Special Education Teacher/Geometry teacher
Assistant football coach
Division II Football Player/Team Captain
Volunteer work: Big Brother Big Sisters/Special Olympics
3 Letters of recommendation from President of University and previous football coaches.
send it and prepare for a retake if you don't get picked up. why waste two of your 3 total attempts in one go?

enzy24

Hey y'all, I took the ASTB back in March but my recruiter called me last week to tell me I was not picked up for either of the spots I applied for. Needless to say, I will be retaking the test, but it'll be a while since I am considering getting eye surgery for better vision.

That being said, do you guys have any tips for the second time around? I know I didn't do nearly as well as I wanted on the PBM, so I'm curious as to the effectiveness of using a flight sim or similar programs for practice; it's probably been discussed at length somewhere in this thread so I'll do more searching after work today. Thanks in advance!
Someone here developed a mock program for the listening/tracking portion Here
I purchased an actual joystick/throttle and used key binding to be able to practice as closely as possible and I think it helped me get used to the inversion a lot. I also brought my own headphones to the exam, obviously didn't want to leave anything to chance.
I know buying a joystick might not be feasible for everyone but I got the T-flight hotas one for ~90 dollars and it was good enough.

cs5kfar

Hello,

I took the ASTB about 2 weeks and this is mainly what I encountered:

-The Comprehension/English section was just as expected. I just went over elimination methods and just tried my best with it. The guides I used weren't really that helpful. Just try your best on this one.

-Math Section started off with basic algebra and then climbed up to word problems, logarithms, exponents, and matrices. There were a few exponents and logs but only one matrix question. There was also one or two basic geometry questions. If you know basic algebra and world problems practice exponents, matrices, and logs to really nail this section.

-Mechanical/Physics section was broader and contained everything the gouges go over. If you cover all the gouge material on here and most importantly, understand the concepts behind them, you will do fine. Questions were mainly AC/DC circuits (Components, Power, Voltage, Current and Formulas), Gears, Pulleys, Buoyancy, Density, Gravity, etc etc.

I also had on binary code but I forget which section that was in.

The rest of the ASTB was exactly as described here. make sure you know the UAV compass trick!!! The audio part of the throttle joystick section was definitely challenging but doable. The audio was a little strange as it was coming out of both ears although it said it was not supposed to. The only thing that I encountered that I didn't see mentioned here was three emergency scenarios near the end of the joystick section where you are required to react appropriately to each emergency scenario. You are told what solution is required for every scenario prior to commencing this portion of the exam. Just remember what the solution is for what emergency and you are golden.

My results were as follows:
OAR: 65 7/6/7

The rest of my application is:

Bachelors Degree in Mechanical Engineering
GPA: 3.29
Three Letters of Recommendation

I am also a little curious if my packet is competitive for Pilot or NFO. Thanks!

ed_98

Hello!

Are the practice test on the trivium and barron's books a good indication on whether or not you'll have a good score on the OAR math portion?

I ask because I'm like a month into studying (mainly the math portion) and I just did a practice test and I got 71% of the attempted questions right ("attempted" because I only did 22 in the time limit).

I'm due to take the ASTB on July 26th and I'm not feeling comfortable with basically scoring a C on the math portion.