• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

loggin

I'm beginning to review some math for the OAR. I'm using a GRE math book to study and was curious about the geometry on the OAR. The GRE book gets pretty in-depth, finding angles algebraically with missing variables, etc.

Can anyone give some insight into how in-depth these questions will be? Will it be a matter of using the basic formulas to find Area, perimeter, volume, etc. or should I take the time to review more advanced geometry,
involving algebra?

Mhrader.16

Hey y'all, I want to share my scores on here and get some second opinions. Although I passed with the minimum requirements for SNA, I'm not satisfied with my scores. 44/5/6/5.
I told the guys at the recruiting office I want a retake because I know I can get a better score, but they recommended against it because I can only retake it two more times. My recruiter said I have a competitive GPA (3.4 in B.S. Professional Pilot) and that it has more weight than ASTB scores.

I still want to bring my scores up and submit my best, improving my chances of getting selected. He's confident and sure I'll get selected with my current credentials. I'm not so sure because I'm not as familiar with the stats and process. I won't be applying until beginning of next year because I need to finish my degree and get vision surgery first.
I've heard the exact opposite... your scores carry more weight than GPA.

GMWS10

hey i just took my OAR and got a 57, I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and study resources. Here are some tips:

GENERAL: I studied for four weeks because I am a fulltime college student and a firefighter. When studying, take as many practice tests as possible and review all of your mistakes. You got this and just be patient, do not overthink or assume it!

MATH: I was relatively good in math through high school and college but I still took some time to review basic high school math. The books that helped me the most were OAR Math Prep 2020-2021: The Most Comprehensive Review and Ultimate Guide to the OAR Math Test and 5 Full-Length OAR Math Practice Tests: The Practice You Need to Ace the OAR Math Test. The OAR Trivium Book was helpful as well. I memorized a whole bunch of basic geometric formulas and some came in handy during the test. The most common questions I saw were algebra and system of equations-kinda similar to the new SAT math sections. Always check your order of operations, negative signs, and read the question carefully. I had one D=RT question but it was not too complex. I had one log question but it was not too complex either.

READING: this was one of the most boring sections ever, there is no proper way to study for this, but I highly recommend ASVAB paragraph comprehension style questions, they helped a lot. During this section do not overthink the questions and only rely on the knowledge provided by the paragraph. Its going to be hard but just try to read with a clear mind and ignore anything that is irrelevant to the paragraph. Reading slowly does help and there is no shame in rereading the question or paragraphs. I highly recommend reading the questions first so you know what to look for in the paragraphs.

MECHANICAL: I studied for this section using review guides in the gouges and books, but the type of questions I expected to see were not there. It was mostly basic battery style questions, AC/DC, basic fluid mechanics through a pipe, and forces/gravity. I highly recommend reviewing those parts of the gouges. I had one pendulum question. Take your time with this section and try to conceptualize certain parts.

Wishing you all the best of luck!! You totally got this.

chunkylver99

Hey guys, for those who have taken the OAR, for the mechanical section, are the problems similar to the gouges for the most part? I've been reading they aren't too similar, are there any areas I should really focus on? I'm good with gears, mech advantage and pulleys for sure, and electrical I'm decent on.

Last edited:

Brochacho

Limited Duty Officer
Looking to apply for lateral conversion for NFO this next year. Planning to re-take the ASTB in the Spring; however, my previous scores from April 2013 were -

OAR: 46
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5

Aiming for 7's across the board this next go around. Just need to brush up on my math!

exNavyOffRec

Looking to apply for lateral conversion for NFO this next year. Planning to re-take the ASTB in the Spring; however, my previous scores from April 2013 were -

OAR: 46
AQR: 4
PFAR: 5
FOFAR: 5

Aiming for 7's across the board this next go around. Just need to brush up on my math!
Study and I am sure your scores will improve, have you connected with any that done a lateral transfer from LDO to aviation? They might have some good tips, I know 2 that tried LDO to URL, 1 was a LDO SWO (had his pin) and was denied multiple times, the other was Supply and same issue, but in may aspects aviation is more open to unusual circumstances.

Brochacho

Limited Duty Officer
Study and I am sure your scores will improve, have you connected with any that done a lateral transfer from LDO to aviation? They might have some good tips, I know 2 that tried LDO to URL, 1 was a LDO SWO (had his pin) and was denied multiple times, the other was Supply and same issue, but in may aspects aviation is more open to unusual circumstances.
Other than those in the offramp designators, I've only met a few people who have successfully converted from LDO to URL. I know one of the toughest hurdles is getting the LDO OCM to release us. I personally know of an LDO who had his SWO pin and had a recommendation from an Admiral, yet was still denied conversion.

But we only get one military career and I fully intend to give the Navy few reasons to tell me no. If it works out, then great. If not, then my current community will receive 100% of my motivation and effort until I retire.

exNavyOffRec

Other than those in the offramp designators, I've only met a few people who have successfully converted from LDO to URL. I know one of the toughest hurdles is getting the LDO OCM to release us. I personally know of an LDO who had his SWO pin and had a recommendation from an Admiral, yet was still denied conversion.

But we only get one military career and I fully intend to give the Navy few reasons to tell me no. If it works out, then great. If not, then my current community will receive 100% of my motivation and effort until I retire.
I hope you have better luck, I would have thought the LDO with his SWO pin would have been a no brainer, and he would have made an awesome CO.

NevarYalnal

Quick question. So the correct formula for this question is (4)0.25x + 0.10x = 2.20. I'm just wondering if someone can explain why it can't be 0.25x + (1/4)0.10x = 2.20? ThanksView attachment 31184
either formula works but you would need to be careful with what 'x' represents. The first formula gives you the number of dimes, the second formula gives you the number of quarters, meaning you would then need to divide by 4 to get the correct answer.