• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

@ccrutchfield

Great info. I've just started really setting aside time to retake my test. Stupid question but, since you just took your test can you remember the Dichotic listening test rules? Like we lean into the target ear and press the clutch/trigger for BOTH odd/even numbers correct? Or if the target ear is the right only odd numbers? Sorry I'm just trying to prepare as I feel I bombed this section and no one has asked it here. Thanks!
some advise i heard and helped a little bit is leaning to the target ear (left/right). helps you focus a little bit more to that side. they will explain the rules and let you get a couple tets rounds before the actual test just listen closely. ONE ear represents EVEN numbers and the OTHER EAR represents ODD numbers. so yo uhave to pay attention to what ear they will be testing and go from there!

exNavyOffRec

thanks for the feedback man, i appreciate it! took the test a few weeks back just kept forgetting to post but i ended up getting a 45/5/6/6 so i cant complain. the recruiters there said i should be good with my 7 years in intel background and i scored more than minimum for Pilot/IntelO i shouldnt have a problem. i thought about retaking the exam but they advised me against it since they said the scores + experience + college should be good enough. i got the hard part out of the way (the test) now i just need to complete my last 8 college courses and 6 interviews and my package should be complete!
I would also say to submit with those scores and see what happens for SNA, the lower the PFAR the lower the chance for selection, when it comes to SNA the rest doesn't matter, when it comes to Intel the rest does matter but also a much more competitive designator.

NevarYalnal

View attachment 30986 Can anyone explain the best way to simplify radicals like this or link me to a video? Thanks
the negative just means it goes in the denominator so you can ignore that for now. without the negative sign the problem reads as "what is the cubed root of 343 to the fourth power", which you can rewrite as (cubed root of 343)^4 power.
  1. solve for the cube root of 343 (i.e. what to the third power is equal to 343?)
  2. set the ans in 1) to the 4th power
  3. put the ans in 2) in the denominator (i.e. put 1 over that number) to account for the -1 we ignored in the beginning

JinxRocket

FishBones47 (B.S. Aviation Management GPA 3.59)
For those of you that have taken the ASTB-E did the distance rate time questions have a lot of decimals or were they pretty straightforward and easy to calculate?

GMWS10

hi i have a MEPS appointment in couple of days, was wondering if anyone had any tips or things to be careful of while there? I would appreciate it.

NevarYalnal

fully aware
well then there's really nothing to be concerned with at MEPS; only things that could possibly trip you up there is if you "remembered" stuff you left out on your medical screening forms and if you fail the pee / breathalyzer test. as an officer candidate your day is gonna be done by around noon since there's no taking of the ASVAB or meeting with detailers to choose a rate.

cp801

Going back for a moment to the topic of NAMI whammy's starting at OCS, if I pass all anthro tests and am initially dq'd for something vision related, do I have an opportunity to get any sort of corrective surgery done (assuming it would solve my issue) before being forced to redesignate? Or do you basically only get the one look by the flight surgeon?

exNavyOffRec

Going back for a moment to the topic of NAMI whammy's starting at OCS, if I pass all anthro tests and am initially dq'd for something vision related, do I have an opportunity to get any sort of corrective surgery done (assuming it would solve my issue) before being forced to redesignate? Or do you basically only get the one look by the flight surgeon?
you cannot be forced to redesignate, you can be asked if you want to. They will not give you time to get surgery, you can go home, get surgery and apply again, and others have done that.

username06

Just want to ask about the sections in ASTB. There's OAR (Math, Reading, and Mech) and ASTB (UAV, Questions for Personality, then PBM) but SPATIAL APPERCEPTION and Bi-RV aren't included anymore right?

loggin

I'm beginning to review some math for the OAR. I'm using a GRE math book to study and was curious about the geometry on the OAR. The GRE book gets pretty in-depth, finding angles algebraically with missing variables, etc.

Can anyone give some insight into how in-depth these questions will be? Will it be a matter of using the basic formulas to find Area, perimeter, volume, etc. or should I take the time to review more advanced geometry,
involving algebra?

Mhrader.16

Hey y'all, I want to share my scores on here and get some second opinions. Although I passed with the minimum requirements for SNA, I'm not satisfied with my scores. 44/5/6/5.
I told the guys at the recruiting office I want a retake because I know I can get a better score, but they recommended against it because I can only retake it two more times. My recruiter said I have a competitive GPA (3.4 in B.S. Professional Pilot) and that it has more weight than ASTB scores.

I still want to bring my scores up and submit my best, improving my chances of getting selected. He's confident and sure I'll get selected with my current credentials. I'm not so sure because I'm not as familiar with the stats and process. I won't be applying until beginning of next year because I need to finish my degree and get vision surgery first.
I've heard the exact opposite... your scores carry more weight than GPA.

GMWS10

hey i just took my OAR and got a 57, I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and study resources. Here are some tips:

GENERAL: I studied for four weeks because I am a fulltime college student and a firefighter. When studying, take as many practice tests as possible and review all of your mistakes. You got this and just be patient, do not overthink or assume it!

MATH: I was relatively good in math through high school and college but I still took some time to review basic high school math. The books that helped me the most were OAR Math Prep 2020-2021: The Most Comprehensive Review and Ultimate Guide to the OAR Math Test and 5 Full-Length OAR Math Practice Tests: The Practice You Need to Ace the OAR Math Test. The OAR Trivium Book was helpful as well. I memorized a whole bunch of basic geometric formulas and some came in handy during the test. The most common questions I saw were algebra and system of equations-kinda similar to the new SAT math sections. Always check your order of operations, negative signs, and read the question carefully. I had one D=RT question but it was not too complex. I had one log question but it was not too complex either.

READING: this was one of the most boring sections ever, there is no proper way to study for this, but I highly recommend ASVAB paragraph comprehension style questions, they helped a lot. During this section do not overthink the questions and only rely on the knowledge provided by the paragraph. Its going to be hard but just try to read with a clear mind and ignore anything that is irrelevant to the paragraph. Reading slowly does help and there is no shame in rereading the question or paragraphs. I highly recommend reading the questions first so you know what to look for in the paragraphs.

MECHANICAL: I studied for this section using review guides in the gouges and books, but the type of questions I expected to see were not there. It was mostly basic battery style questions, AC/DC, basic fluid mechanics through a pipe, and forces/gravity. I highly recommend reviewing those parts of the gouges. I had one pendulum question. Take your time with this section and try to conceptualize certain parts.

Wishing you all the best of luck!! You totally got this.