• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NevarYalnal

Hello!

Are the practice test on the trivium and barron's books a good indication on whether or not you'll have a good score on the OAR math portion?

I ask because I'm like a month into studying (mainly the math portion) and I just did a practice test and I got 71% of the attempted questions right ("attempted" because I only did 22 in the time limit).

I'm due to take the ASTB on July 26th and I'm not feeling comfortable with basically scoring a C on the math portion.
accuracy matters more than number of questions answered since this is an adaptive test so i would focus on getting the questions right versus answering as many as you can. you might not even use the entire time; the test can end sections early if it has decided that it has gotten an accurate gauge of your abilities. if there's specific areas you are weak on keep working on those types of problems.

ed_98

accuracy matters more than number of questions answered since this is an adaptive test so i would focus on getting the questions right versus answering as many as you can. you might not even use the entire time; the test can end sections early if it has decided that it has gotten an accurate gauge of your abilities. if there's specific areas you are weak on keep working on those types of problems.

Yes I agree but I just wanted to know how those that had a good score on the OAR did on practice tests. Obviously I'm aiming to have every question correct in the time limit but I just want to know.

How were you doing on your practice tests? Since I see you got a 70 in the OAR

exNavyOffRec

Yes I agree but I just wanted to know how those that had a good score on the OAR did on practice tests. Obviously I'm aiming to have every question correct in the time limit but I just want to know.

How were you doing on your practice tests? Since I see you got a 70 in the OAR
are you going for aviation? some of your past post mentioned that.

ed_98

are you going for aviation? some of your past post mentioned that.

Yes I am!

You think I should concentrate more on the AQR and PFAR?

I'm going heavy on the math since it's my weakest subject. Like I just did an MST from a SIFT practice test and only got 8 correct out of attempted 12... in 35 minutes.

exNavyOffRec

Yes I am!

You think I should concentrate more on the AQR and PFAR?

I'm going heavy on the math since it's my weakest subject. Like I just did an MST from a SIFT practice test and only got 8 correct out of attempted 12... in 35 minutes.
if you are going for SNA then they will look at PFAR, if SNFO then they will look at FOFAR, that is what you should concentrate on, the other thing is the test is adaptive so you can take the pretest and get decent scores but if you answer a string of questions wrong it will think your knowledge on that area has maxed out.

ed_98

if you are going for SNA then they will look at PFAR, if SNFO then they will look at FOFAR, that is what you should concentrate on, the other thing is the test is adaptive so you can take the pretest and get decent scores but if you answer a string of questions wrong it will think your knowledge on that area has maxed out.
Yes I only want to go for SNA. Won't the overall OAR score also affect the PFAR?

exNavyOffRec

Yes I only want to go for SNA. Won't the overall OAR score also affect the PFAR?
I used to have the exact info as to what goes into what and what percentage, not sure where it is now, but what I can tell you is that we have seen people get really good OAR but not really good PFAR or FOFAR so I think the OAR sections have minimal effect.

Sestix

Hello Everyone,

I took the ASTB not too long ago and was wondering on opinions about my scores. Looking to commission as a 1. SNA or 2. NFO.
The thing that worries me with my score is my OAR and potentially messing up my other scores if they're not too bad. I was in Marine PLC for some time which is when I did my ASTB, wasn't fully ready for it but OSO told me the OAR was of little concern in the end results but not sure if that applies for Navy which is the route I would rather go over the Marines. Navy Officer told me I should retake. I am a student pilot at the moment about to be private rated, will be commercial rated by the time I graduate. Also have 2 high ranking officers for letters of rec who were both pilots. Thoughts?

GPA 3.0 with tech degree

Scores:

OAR: 36
AQR: 5
PFAR: 8
FOFAR: 6

Wouldn't be submitting a package until next year (2022) so I still have a lot of time. Should I give it a shot then with a submission and see what happens with these scores or just do a retake?

NavyFanatic32

Math and reading are adaptive so there isn’t any set amount of questions. Once the systems gets a baseline of your level it will kick you out. I want to say each of those sections were 30 mins each. Mechanical comprehension was 30 questions in 15 mins.

Switchstone

Does anyone know how many questions and what the time limits are for the OAR?

The order and time limits for the full ASTB (ignore everything below the mechanical section for just the OAR):
SectionDuration
Math40 minutes
Reading Comprehension30 minutes
Mechanical Comprehension15 minutes
Aviation and Nautical Information15 minutes
Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory35 minutes
Performance Based Measures~ 45 - 60 minutes
Total: ~ 2 hours, 30 minutes

venneman

The order and time limits for the full ASTB (ignore everything below the mechanical section for just the OAR):
SectionDuration
Math40 minutes
Reading Comprehension30 minutes
Mechanical Comprehension15 minutes
Aviation and Nautical Information15 minutes
Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory35 minutes
Performance Based Measures~ 45 - 60 minutes
Total: ~ 2 hours, 30 minutes
Is this for the paper version, or the computer assisted version?

exNavyOffRec

The Navy still lists times and questions for the paper version of the OAR on the ASTB FAQ page.
you have to use a joystick for the ASTB, the NRD's years ago had to send back all paper versions and they sent a notice that paper versions were no longer authorized.

I have not heard of anyone being able to take the paper version of the OAR in years (NRD's/NTAG's don't have that option anyway) and really no one should want to, with the adaptive nature if you make a mistake on a question you can still recover and do quite well, on the paper version it will always ding you.

It used to be a sailor could take the paper version with the ESO, now they are pushing them to take on base with the electronic version.