• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

jlh1850

Is anyone doing workouts now to prepare for OCS?

I'm currently doing three sets of push ups and sit ups alternating days:

Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do three sets of as many push ups I can do in two minutes followed by an hour of cardio. (typically walking at max incline keeping my heart rate above 150, maybe a slow jog.)

Tuesday and Thursday I do the three sets of sit-ups followed by an hour of cardio.

I know it's cardio heavy, but I have lost about 45 pounds to get to 220 in order to pass MEPS and have about 10 pounds to go to meet the weight requirements for a 74 inch height. My waist circumference does meet the 39 inch standard, but Im curious if this will count at OCS- I would rather be safe than sorry.

Just curious what everyone else is currently doing.

heavy lifting (squat, bench, deadlift, and press) four times a week and Orangetheory classes 2x/week. Back in December was in the best shape of my life doing that combination. Was able to run a 5:39 mile (treadmill) in January before the pandemic. Trying to build back up to that again.

the lifting is more just because I enjoy it and the strength carries over well to calisthenics

Last edited:

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
heavy lifting (squat, bench, deadlift, and press) four times a week and Orangetheory classes 2x/week. Back in December was in the best shape of my life doing that combination. Was able to run a 5:39 mile (treadmill) in January before the pandemic. Trying to build back up to that again.

the lifting is more just because I enjoy it and the strength carries over well to calisthenics

I did a lot of Body building when I was in AFROTC and it was the worse. Too much muscle makes military workouts a pain lol

jlh1850

I did a lot of Body building when I was in AFROTC and it was the worse. Too much muscle makes military workouts a pain lol
Yeah I can see that happening with bodybuilding/hypertrophy focused training. I do the big lifts for strength though, not really hypertrophy, and then OTF for the cardio. Haven’t really gained any significant muscle mass/bodyweight in well over two years.

jlh1850

So team, I just fudged up. I was trying to look at the scores on my phone and accidentally just cleared the data when I was trying to sort columns. I'll start inputting everyone's numbers again.

Update--looks like they're back!

BDavis11

Contributor
I'm just curious. Those of you who applied SNA and SNFO, what designator would you prefer to get? Did anybody else have the mindset that you'd rather be an NFO (or SNA if that's your second choice) than not have a job in the Navy at all?

exactly how i feel, except instead of not have a job in the navy it would be rather nfo than staying enlisted.

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
I'm just curious. Those of you who applied SNA and SNFO, what designator would you prefer to get? Did anybody else have the mindset that you'd rather be an NFO (or SNA if that's your second choice) than not have a job in the Navy at all?
I have SNA first and SNFO second. I actually had SNFO as my first but I had an NFO recommend putting pilot first just for kicks and giggles. I’ll honestly be happy with either... obviously being a pilot would be a cool title but I will be happy firstly being a naval officer and second being a naval aviator.

BDavis11

Contributor
This is the same mindset that I have. My original plan was to apply SNA only and then apply SNA/NFO if I wasn't selected for SNA the first time. I thought about it for a while and figured if I was ok with putting NFO on the second application then I am ok with putting it on the first. I'd definitely prefer pilot over NFO, but I'd rather be an NFO than nothing at all.
Its like your in my brain with that logic. The exact way I am thinking about it. I didn't want to only have one option and get denied. At least if I get denied for Pilot, then I will have a chance at NFO. Also, with most people applying strictly pilot, to me that's one less contender in my end game which is to be a Naval Officer.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
My first choice is SNA.

I got out of the USAF for the strict purpose of pursuing the professional pilot route, but I never felt like I was done with the military, I always wanted to make it a career. If I only get NFO it would take some self reflection to re-enter the service and put the pilot career on the backburner again. But I want to be a naval officer as well so there are pros and cons. The best outcome for me is to get SNA. It would be hard to imagine getting picked up for NFO but not SNA with a 7/8/6. In my mind I'm really expecting if I get one of the three jobs it's going to be SNA just based on scores. We'll see what's in store for all of us in another month, and maybe my mind will change based on the outcome, selected for whichever designator, or not.

At the end of the day if I'm not selected, I'm still a pilot, and training for me will continue either in the military or outside it. I would just like to wear the uniform and serve my country while doing what I love.

I see some people referring to first or second choice? I was never given a priority for job selection. I understood it to be the OR just circles the boards and submits the kit to them, no ranked order or order of preference?

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
I see some people referring to first or second choice? I was never given a priority for job selection. I understood it to be the OR just circles the boards and submits the kit to them, no ranked order or order of preference?

My OR mentioned I could rank them. He actually submitted just as SNA but I mentioned putting NFO and SWO on there so I would have a higher chance of getting picked for SOMETHING. Thankfully he was able to fix it so all three are on there. I could be wrong about ranking preferences but that what I was told...

Would you really not take an NFO slot? I personally have a desire to be both an aviator AND Naval Officer so I am fine with either. I can only imagine the dilemma you would feel if you only had NFO as an option. But your scores look high enough that I would be surprised if they pass you for SNA.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Did you fill out your Application Processing and Summary Record? On the first page, there is a section that lists choice 1-5 that you fill in the designator.
No I for sure didn't list jobs in order. I just told the recruiter what I wanted to apply for. I recall being in the office signing the application and seeing the three designators but that never crossed my mind for the order. I think it may have already been in the SNA, NFO, SWO order so I never thought anything of it? My recruiter knows I want to fly as my first choice and he's been great through the whole process so I'd imagine it was already set that way on purpose when I signed it. Regardless, I don't think my preference would have anything to do with selection.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
My OR mentioned I could rank them. He actually submitted just as SNA but I mentioned putting NFO and SWO on there so I would have a higher chance of getting picked for SOMETHING. Thankfully he was able to fix it so all three are on there. I could be wrong about ranking preferences but that what I was told...

Would you really not take an NFO slot? I personally have a desire to be both an aviator AND Naval Officer so I am fine with either. I can only imagine the dilemma you would feel if you only had NFO as an option. But your scores look high enough that I would be surprised if they pass you for SNA.
Glad they were able to catch it! That was my thought process this time, I do want to get in so I opened the kit up to NFO and SWO also.

If they offered me NFO and nothing else... man. I was a weather forecaster that briefed Army aviators on a daily basis and it killed me to have pilots come in for a Wx brief when I was sitting behind a desk. To have that same thing happen again where I'm not the one actually flying would be something I would have to overcome mentally. If I chose NFO it would be with the intent of making a career out of it and choosing to excel where I'm planted so I think ultimately I would take it. That would be after getting my mind ready for all of that, all over again.

I'm of the mentality now that whichever designator comes back (or doesn't), that is where I'm supposed to be headed, and I'm at peace with that. This will be the last board for me before I age out so what happens in the next month and a half is going to define the next 20+ years of my life. I hope it lies with the Navy!

Saukko

Hopeful Aviation Candidate
Hi guys!

Just found this forum as well.
I submitted back in September for this board. SNA top pick and NFO second. Hoping to get a SNA spot so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Scores:
7/8/7
B.S. Psychology with a 3.1

Good luck yall!

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Hi guys!

Just found this forum as well.
I submitted back in September for this board. SNA top pick and NFO second. Hoping to get a SNA spot so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Scores:
7/8/7
B.S. Psychology with a 3.1

Good luck yall!
Welcome to the club!

You seem to have decent enough scores to not worry about retesting, BUT I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to snoop around the testing threads to pick up new info here and there.

Many other threads provide useful information about Navy, Aviation, or just Military life in general that could be useful. We have less than a week until the board meets and about 3-8 weeks after that to get results. Best of luck!

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Has anyone seen the at board list or know where to find it?
I think only people already in the Navy can find it easily. The thread for the last board had someone post theirs the day their board met I think.

so maybe someone will post it once the board meets next week is my guess.