• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
There was just some stuff posted about accreditation and AMU that was factually incorrect and I wanted to clear it up.
Other than that, I know it's really the whole person concept and probably varies based on the community. I'm going for SWO, leaning more on real-life military leadership experience, versus where I got my piece of paper. We'll see.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
It would, a school doesn't have to be regionally accredited to submit, it just has to be accredited, so ITT, UOPHX, and other online schools are acceptable, of course they are low on the tier ranking, I think most are all listed as Tier 4.

Got it, didn't know that about the boards. AMU's accredited by the regionally accrediting NCA, so it may not be Harvard, but it's not McDonalds. Just one part of the package.

For what it's worth, US News & World Report's take on AMU:
http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/american-public-university-system-38193/bachelors

I'll step out of the convo now, I know it got a little off track.

Last edited:

fedman28

Got it, didn't know that about the boards. AMU's accredited by the regionally accrediting NCA, so it may not be Harvard, but it's not McDonalds. Just one part of the package.

For what it's worth, US News & World Report's take on AMU:
http://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/american-public-university-system-38193/bachelors

I'll step out of the convo now, I know it got a little off track.

Again look at the part that says "for profit" the same as UOPHX, ITT, DeVry, and the list continues. As far as something being factually incorrect keep researching AMU from other sources ect. And see what you find.

As far as wanting real military leadership vs. a piece of paper. The officer programs are getting very competitive so they are actually looking at both.

That is all.

Good luck to you on the board maybe we will both make it and we can discuss this further over some flutter kicks and screaming D.I.'s

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Again look at the part that says "for profit" the same as UOPHX, ITT, DeVry, and the list continues. As far as something being factually incorrect keep researching AMU from other sources ect. And see what you find.

As far as wanting real military leadership vs. a piece of paper. The officer programs are getting very competitive so they are actually looking at both.

That is all.

Good luck to you on the board maybe we will both make it and we can discuss this further over some flutter kicks and screaming D.I.'s

Thanks. I guess the OAR score has some factoring in their decision, so there's that.

PensacolaBayou

This is the best attitude to have at this point. If your OR thought it a good idea to send your application to the board, you must have something there that is worth seeing. Save the arguments for the usefulness of degrees from School A vs School B for when your dirt covered face is trying to remember gouge and scream out answers while pushing the deck.

fedman28

Thanks. I guess the OAR score has some factoring in their decision, so there's that.

enlUSMC,

I want to applogize about the postings, I was not trying to demean you or your degree in any way, I am sure you worked very hard to get it and to be able to go to school. I am also pretty sure that you have just as good a shot as anybody on here. I wish I was still young enough to apply for straight SWO. I am limited to certain communities where it is very competitive and if I don't get picked up this time around, I am going to have to look at other options. I am trying to get as much information from OR's and people that deal with this all the time to see if it really matters where you get your degree from. If not then I will probably get a masters in IT or some other computer related field, so I will have a better chance the next time around.

I just want people to know there is a difference in accreditation and it could potentially cause issues in the future. There are a lot of service members that even when they get out get sucked into these types of schools. I don't want people finding out about them the hard way like myself and a few others on here, that went that route and had to correct it in the middle of the program. They only way that I knew about any difference in accreditation is when I went to transfer to a state university and found out that I basically wasted a year of my time and benefits. So I did the research on schools such as ITT and UOPHX to see that the difference is all about accreditation and being a "for profit" school. You don't have to believe me or any body else on here. The information is out there, you just have to dig to find the truth about them, because they are not going to tell you them selves.

I hope this will lay to rest the squabble we have been having on this forum so we can get back on track to potentially becoming Naval Officers!!!

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Oh, I don't care. Honestly you got me thinking and I double checked the accreditation stuff.
Like I told NPR when they came to my house to do a documentary on long distance education, if not for the Marines I'd have stayed at my brick and mortar college to findish the traditional way.
SF

exNavyOffRec

This is the best attitude to have at this point. If your OR thought it a good idea to send your application to the board, you must have something there that is worth seeing. Save the arguments for the usefulness of degrees from School A vs School B for when your dirt covered face is trying to remember gouge and scream out answers while pushing the deck.

If a person meets the minimum program requirements an OR has to submit the application unless the NRD holds a field reject board.

chihon fung

I think gunny would be easier on prior marines

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I think gunny would be easier on prior marines

In any OCS, priors get it harder. That's what I train for during my PT (and why I'm at a beach resort now and took time to do a 3 1/2 mile circuit course through some affluent beach neighborhoods).

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
In any OCS, priors get it harder. That's what I train for during my PT (and why I'm at a beach resort now and took time to do a 3 1/2 mile circuit course through some affluent beach neighborhoods).
I wouldn't say that either. I know a few priors that never stood out. The ones that do are the ones that have the mindset that they have some sort of entitlement because of their service.

LET73

Not necessarily. There's a higher expectation for someone who's had a few years in the fleet than for the non-priors, but if you a) don't act entitled to anything as Mr Spenz points out and b) set a good example and help out the non-priors, you aren't going to be singled out due to being a prior. From what I saw at OCS, the priors who had it harder brought it on themselves.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Again not true.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Question: for those of you that already submitted your packages or anyone that knows the answer, does one have to go to MEPS before submitting their package or does MEPS occur only if one receives a PRO REC Y?

Also, I believe I saw that the SF 86 is only good for 90 days. I just submitted it but won't be submitting my package until October for the December board (i.e., longer than 90 days) will I have to update or redo my SF 86?

Thanks.