• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

loui86dz

Do or do not... there is no try-Master Yoda
Question: for those of you that already submitted your packages or anyone that knows the answer, does one have to go to MEPS before submitting their package or does MEPS occur only if one receives a PRO REC Y?

Also, I believe I saw that the SF 86 is only good for 90 days. I just submitted it but won't be submitting my package until October for the December board (i.e., longer than 90 days) will I have to update or redo my SF 86?

Thanks.

One can go to MEPS before or after. I went to MEPS before I received my pro rec.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
One can go to MEPS before or after. I went to MEPS before I received my pro rec.

Thanks. My OR mentioned MEPS before but then didn't bring it up again so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that I need.

LadyT

Question: for those of you that already submitted your packages or anyone that knows the answer, does one have to go to MEPS before submitting their package or does MEPS occur only if one receives a PRO REC Y?

Also, I believe I saw that the SF 86 is only good for 90 days. I just submitted it but won't be submitting my package until October for the December board (i.e., longer than 90 days) will I have to update or redo my SF 86?

Thanks.

I've already gone to MEPS and I am applying for the same board as you.

fedman28

T-7 days and counting!!! Feels like I have been waiting months for this board to convene ..... Oh wait I have been.

exNavyOffRec

Here is a link that I ran across that is pretty interesting, it breaks down a few things to be competitive in each community, as well as a break down of how the board looks at packets.

http://ajsquaredaway.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/am-i-competitive-enough-to-become-a-navy-officer/

This is the same data that has been put out for years, and if I were this guy I would be embarrassed to put out something like this as some BASIC info is wrong, right off the bat many of the designator numbers have been changed, this happened over 5 YEARS AGO, so either this guy is blindly putting out info without making corrections or just doesn't care.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
This is the same data that has been put out for years, and if I were this guy I would be embarrassed to put out something like this as some BASIC info is wrong, right off the bat many of the designator numbers have been changed, this happened over 5 YEARS AGO, so either this guy is blindly putting out info without making corrections or just doesn't care.

Thanks, a lot of applicants have gone off that.

exNavyOffRec

Good to know thanks NavyOffRec what about the point system he is describing?

This is something they did talk about, but it was mentioned each board can adjust things, and I have seen many cases where it didn't follow that, the best example is a SNA applicant who has 2.8 GPA, and PFAR of 8 but no other items, he gets picked up but the "captain of the FB team" doesn't and he as 3.5 GPA but scored a PFAR of 6. I have said aviation is like no other, ASTB is king, the other designators have a lot more that play into selection.

There are other examples in that powerpoint I could point out but just not worth it, if he couldn't take the time to fix designator numbers do you really think he took the time to adjust other info.

navyhaz

I have a pay related question and not sure if this is the correct place on the forum, anyone with experience please contribute because my NC/Admin do not have the answers.

If selected, I know your paid as an E-5 (or current enlisted pay-grade if prior and higher) while at OCS. My question is based on BAH rates and if they change to where I am (Newport) or stay the same (where my family is). Second, assuming you made it out of OCS and are now an Ensign that came out of the enlisted ranks, do you fall in the O1 category or the O1E category. I ask because I will loose money since most priors are capped with years of service in the O1 category. Yes, Base pay will have a slight increase. Long story short I will not see a significant return for about six years; assuming I stayed enlisted and made each pay-grade first time within the required TIR(which is damn near impossible anyways).

psulaw0929

Second, assuming you made it out of OCS and are now an Ensign that came out of the enlisted ranks, do you fall in the O1 category or the O1E category. I ask because I will loose money since most priors are capped with years of service in the O1 category. Yes, Base pay will have a slight increase. Long story short I will not see a significant return for about six years; assuming I stayed enlisted and made each pay-grade first time within the required TIR(which is damn near impossible anyways).

Hey@navyhaz, since many of us in here are prior enlisted, I'm curious about how the pay works as well. As I read the pay chart, prior active service, whether coming straight from the fleet or after having separated and then come back, will place you in the O-1E category. I read that the "E" applies to those "with Over 4 Years of Active Service as an Enlisted Member." So a second class with over eight years makes a base pay of $2,923/month (according to the 2014 pay chart). The O-1E monthly base pay for someone with over 8 years of prior active service is $4,048. I think you'll get a nice little pay bump, not to mention your BAH will go up (depending on what the answer to your other question is regarding whether they provide BAH for Newport or you current home). The places where we will take slight losses are lower BAS (by about $100) and no annual uniform allowance (aside from the first one). That's my interpretation and what I have heard from navy recruiters. I'd love to hear anything anyone else has to contribute.

navyhaz

Hey@navyhaz, since many of us in here are prior enlisted, I'm curious about how the pay works as well. As I read the pay chart, prior active service, whether coming straight from the fleet or after having separated and then come back, will place you in the O-1E category. I read that the "E" applies to those "with Over 4 Years of Active Service as an Enlisted Member." So a second class with over eight years makes a base pay of $2,923/month (according to the 2014 pay chart). The O-1E monthly base pay for someone with over 8 years of prior active service is $4,048. I think you'll get a nice little pay bump, not to mention your BAH will go up (depending on what the answer to your other question is regarding whether they provide BAH for Newport or you current home). The places where we will take slight losses are lower BAS (by about $100) and no annual uniform allowance (aside from the first one). That's my interpretation and what I have heard from navy recruiters. I'd love to hear anything anyone else has to contribute.

Missed the footnote.... You are correct and the DoD FMR volume 7A confirms

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/Volume_07a.pdf

Section 010203

loui86dz

Do or do not... there is no try-Master Yoda
Your time in OCS counts as active duty time towards O-1E pay. If you have 4 years of active duty service and only need one more day to qualify as being over 4 years, your time in OCS will help you qualify for O-1E pay.

psulaw0929

Your time in OCS counts as active duty time towards O-1E pay. If you have 4 years of active duty service and only need one more day to qualify as being over 4 years, your time in OCS will help you qualify for O-1E pay.

@loui86dz I'm glad to hear that. I didn't think about it but I guess technically I only have six years so I would need, literally, one more day to put me "over 6 years" and into that next pay bracket.

My question is based on BAH rates and if they change to where I am (Newport) or stay the same (where my family is).

@navyhaz I read on several websites (nothing official) that we will receive BAH at the rate of where our spouse/family is located. I also read that we may receive FSA (Family Separation Allowance).