• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

exNavyOffRec

Speaking of GPA, how is GPA presented to the board for someone with a graduate degree? Will they see both GPAs or some average of the two? Also, is there any weight for the quality of the school and the nature of the degree(s)? Just curious.

I'm excited to hear what happens for those of you that applied for the September board. Anything you would be willing to contribute once results begin to roll in would be greatly appreciated.

I spoke to one senior member, and HIS view (could be different than other senior members) was that he expected a person with a graduate degree to have a GPA that was as good or better than the undergraduate degree.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
I spoke to one senior member, and HIS view (could be different than other senior members) was that he expected a person with a graduate degree to have a GPA that was as good or better than the undergraduate degree.

That's discouraging for law students. I don't know if all law schools are like this, I know mine was and many of my friends' were, but the grading is curved. In my law school, the grading was curved on a "B" average so most GPAs were around a 3.0, with equal numbers falling below a B (<3.0) and above a B (>3.0), with the highest being around the mid-3s. Professors were required to give out 70% Bs, 15% As and 15% Cs and lower, even if everyone (hypothetically) did equally as well. Other law schools are on a "C" curve so many of those students only had mid to high 2s. Oh well, presumably no one on this thread is on the IDC board so my ramblings are inconsequential.

exNavyOffRec

That's discouraging for law students. I don't know if all law schools are like this, I know mine was and many of my friends' were, but the grading is curved. In my law school, the grading was curved on a "B" average so most GPAs were around a 3.0, with equal numbers falling below a B (<3.0) and above a B (>3.0), with the highest being around the mid-3s. Professors were required to give out 70% Bs, 15% As and 15% Cs and lower, even if everyone (hypothetically) did equally as well. Other law schools are on a "C" curve so many of those students only had mid to high 2s. Oh well, presumably no one on this thread is on the IDC board so my ramblings are inconsequential.

I can't speak about how law schools worked in my area, but the undergraduate and graduate (non JD) schools I covered had all but done away with any curve type grading, one professor at one school insisted on continuing with it and the Dean wasn't too happy about it but he was a very old tenured professor and I bet they were just waiting for him to go away.

LadyT

My law school still does the curve, at least for the 1Ls so that can definitely affect one's GPA. I'm hoping that's taken into consideration. Even if it's not, let's hope the other parts of my application package make up for any shortcomings that may be seen in my GPA. {:confused: Is it December yet?}

fedman28

I was also wondering about the quality of the degree as well. I have seen several people applying that have degrees from less than reputable schools. Such as online schools ect. I dont know about the rest of the people on here but I worked hard during my undergrad to go to a traditional state university, rather than buying my degree from online forums and one paper a semester. If they dont care where you go to school I might just get my graduate degree from one ;)

PensacolaBayou

My very patient OR told me that I am PROBOARD. Everything was submitted in early May, so this was a welcome change to the package status. Good luck to everyone.

IWhopeful

Hey everybody,

Who else listed IW as their number one choice?? I see a lot of great stats out there, but It seems everyone is competing for Intel, (some IP).

acrjr718

BA in History, non-prior
GPA: 3.95
OAR: 59
Languages: French and Russian
Intel/SWO/NFO/SNA

Good luck all! Can't wait to get out there and serve our country alongside you guys and gals.

Last edited:

navyhaz

I was also wondering about the quality of the degree as well. I have seen several people applying that have degrees from less than reputable schools. Such as online schools ect. I dont know about the rest of the people on here but I worked hard during my undergrad to go to a traditional state university, rather than buying my degree from online forums and one paper a semester. If they dont care where you go to school I might just get my graduate degree from one ;)

I see you're a prior so you can relate (maybe). What about the sailor that works 60+hours a week, deploys every 18 months, and cannot go to a traditional B&M? To say that person does not work hard is an understatement. I have nothing but respect for my guys who go to school full time and still commit 110% to the Navy.

exNavyOffRec

IDC boards are "whole person concept" rather than ASTB scores like Pilot/NFO/SWO boards, so they're looking at everything in your application, APSR (with ASTB scores and GPA info), motivational statement, 370 forms, appraisals (if applicable) and any other service record information (if applicable). This is why they take much longer than the other boards out there.

The IDC guys I had picked besides having a tech degree and high GPA were also involved in community activities, sports, and in leadership positions (at work or clubs), so I would agree, given mine were non-prior that is probably something that pushed them over the top.

fedman28

I see you're a prior so you can relate (maybe). What about the sailor that works 60+hours a week, deploys every 18 months, and cannot go to a traditional B&M? To say that person does not work hard is an understatement. I have nothing but respect for my guys who go to school full time and still commit 110% to the Navy.

navyhaz,

Do not get me wrong I completely understand the hardships involved in trying to go to college while on Active Duty. I went to a local community college while I was on active duty when I could. My point is how would you feel if someone only had to take one test and a paper to get an A in an online-school when you busted your butt on multiple exams, and papers to get the same grade. Then there is the other issue of accreditation. Before you even say it yes all schools are accredited but there is a difference in Nationally accredited like UOPHX and ITT Tech and regionally accredited such a state university. You have to wonder why a state university will not take credits from Nationally accredited schools. There is a difference in quality with these schools. The Navy has no issues with quantity its quality that they are seeking. I know I didn't graduate from the #1 school in the country but it was still a state university that undergoes an review from the board of regents. I just feel like that your education is your ticket in this world now, where a Bachelors Degree is becoming the new High School Diploma and any thing worth doing is worth doing right. Yes it may take a little longer and take more time out of your day to attend a B&M school but it is well worth it in the end when employers are looking at what school you went to, and I know a few that will not hire someone with an online degree or from a Nationally Accredited school. If they were my guys I would help steer them away from the schools that are just going to use their benefits to get paid, and not give them a quality education. So in closing its not about how hard someone is or is not working it comes down to quality not quanity. Im sorry if I struck a nerve with you on this, that was not my intentions.

V/R Fedman28

exNavyOffRec

navyhaz,

Do not get me wrong I completely understand the hardships involved in trying to go to college while on Active Duty. I went to a local community college while I was on active duty when I could. My point is how would you feel if someone only had to take one test and a paper to get an A in an online-school when you busted your butt on multiple exams, and papers to get the same grade. Then there is the other issue of accreditation. Before you even say it yes all schools are accredited but there is a difference in Nationally accredited like UOPHX and ITT Tech and regionally accredited such a state university. You have to wonder why a state university will not take credits from Nationally accredited schools. There is a difference in quality with these schools. The Navy has no issues with quantity its quality that they are seeking. I know I didn't graduate from the #1 school in the country but it was still a state university that undergoes an review from the board of regents. I just feel like that your education is your ticket in this world now, where a Bachelors Degree is becoming the new High School Diploma and any thing worth doing is worth doing right. Yes it may take a little longer and take more time out of your day to attend a B&M school but it is well worth it in the end when employers are looking at what school you went to, and I know a few that will not hire someone with an online degree or from a Nationally Accredited school. If they were my guys I would help steer them away from the schools that are just going to use their benefits to get paid, and not give them a quality education. So in closing its not about how hard someone is or is not working it comes down to quality not quanity. Im sorry if I struck a nerve with you on this, that was not my intentions.

V/R Fedman28

There are many B&M schools that offer the same classes online, in fact with some you would never know by looking at the degree if they went to class everyday or sat in front of a computer, half of my UG degree was done online and my diploma looks identical to the ones that did all in class.

There are some schools that are recognized for the "online degree" and those that are not even though they offer online degrees.

fedman28

There are many B&M schools that offer the same classes online, in fact with some you would never know by looking at the degree if they went to class everyday or sat in front of a computer, half of my UG degree was done online and my diploma looks identical to the ones that did all in class.

There are some schools that are recognized for the "online degree" and those that are not even though they offer online degrees.

NavyOffRec,

I understand that as well, my school also offered online classes, but you also know the schools that I am referring to, and it comes down to accreditation. Most Universities offer online classes but it is nearly impossible to do an entire degree online from most reputable schools such as lets say Texas A&M, or UCLA ect. If you took online classes from these schools and wanted to transfer to lets say Oklahoma State University they would more than likely take them. Now on the flip side lets say you did 2 years at ITT-Tech or University Of Phoenix and wanted to transfer to UCLA guess what they would tell you that none of those credits transfer. So an "on-line" degree was not meant to be all inclusive when I was referring to it in my previous post.
This whole ball of wax was started because I wanted to know if it mattered where you got your degree from and if your telling me from and OR's perspective or a Board Members perspective that it does not then I am going to be all over my Masters through UOPHX online.

navyhaz

NavyOffRec,

I understand that as well, my school also offered online classes, but you also know the schools that I am referring to, and it comes down to accreditation. Most Universities offer online classes but it is nearly impossible to do an entire degree online from most reputable schools such as lets say Texas A&M, or UCLA ect. If you took online classes from these schools and wanted to transfer to lets say Oklahoma State University they would more than likely take them. Now on the flip side lets say you did 2 years at ITT-Tech or University Of Phoenix and wanted to transfer to UCLA guess what they would tell you that none of those credits transfer. So an "on-line" degree was not meant to be all inclusive when I was referring to it in my previous post.
This whole ball of wax was started because I wanted to know if it mattered where you got your degree from and if your telling me from and OR's perspective or a Board Members perspective that it does not then I am going to be all over my Masters through UOPHX online.

I see. I applied it as a blanket statement referring to all online education. Some of it is a joke, I did the hybrid thing and some of my adjunct professors should not be allowed to teach first grade public school. This took seven years on and off to complete and I worked my ass off. All for profit schools are dangerous and I tell my people to stay far away from them. My opinion on Graduate level education... if you got in without a GRE/GMAT, you should rethink spending the $20,000+ on that degree since a lot of reputable schools offer their graduate level degrees online. Most require a week residency and your good.

The 1420.1b Is vague in that it just states your required to have a degree from an accredited institution, no specifics on national or regional. TLDR; if a guy or gal got selected with the credentials you described, I would be upset.

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec,

Generally if the school has a disclaimer that says "credits may not transfer" then you should beware!

There are more and more of the traditional schools offering online options.

To me it does matter, and I would believe it would matter to the board members, now if you have 2 people that get their Masters both online but one says UOPHX and the other says ASU (example) most people will believe that the ASU degree was in person.

I would go with the higher quality school.