• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

September 2014 IDC Board

exNavyOffRec

The 1420.1b Is vague in that it just states your required to have a degree from an accredited institution, no specifics on national or regional. TLDR; if a guy or gal got selected with the credentials you described, I would be upset.

There have been and yes they are out there.

psulaw0929

OCS Class 04-16, 27 SEP 2015
Has anyone seen the "GPA Worksheet"? I'm curious how it lays out GPAs, degrees, and schools attended. More importantly, I'm curious how it does the final calculation. Does it average multiple GPAs together, does it give weight to different courses (e.g., STEM v. Liberal Arts), etc. Is this the only sheet the board sees with GPAs and degrees (aside from what someone chooses to put in their APSR)? I'd appreciate any information anyone has on this.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I went to AMU (online), a regionally accredited school. Unfortunately the year prior I was in Iraq and couldn't attend school, and the year before that I was on UDP in Japan. I finished my program while instructing officers and enlisted during the day, and also managed to publish two articles regarding military/defense issues. One of those position papers placed 2nd in a major USMC competition. I guess if the board doesn't like the fact that I didn't drop out of the Marines to attend my local community college or whatever, then you won't see me commissioned next year!

fedman28

enlUSMC,

AMU is not a regionally accredited school, regionaly accredited schools are those such as San Diego State University ect. most state colleges and Universities are regionally accredited. Schools such as UOPHX , ITT, AMU, Coast Line Community College and various other schools that are exclusively online are Nationally accredited. Some times its hard to tell with all the crap the college feeds you in order to get you to go there, a lot of smoke and mirriors but the #1 tale tale sighn is their credit transfer disclaimer saying that they may not transfer.

No one is saying that you have to drop out of the USMC to attend college. If you read all the way through the previous post you will see what we are getting at when we talk about online schools. I do hope you get picked up, if so I will go get my Masters from AMU.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
enlUSMC,

AMU is not a regionally accredited school, regionaly accredited schools are those such as San Diego State University ect. most state colleges and Universities are regionally accredited. Schools such as UOPHX , ITT, AMU, Coast Line Community College and various other schools that are exclusively online are Nationally accredited. Some times its hard to tell with all the crap the college feeds you in order to get you to go there, a lot of smoke and mirriors but the #1 tale tale sighn is their credit transfer disclaimer saying that they may not transfer.

No one is saying that you have to drop out of the USMC to attend college. If you read all the way through the previous post you will see what we are getting at when we talk about online schools. I do hope you get picked up, if so I will go get my Masters from AMU.

http://catalog.apus.edu/2014/undergraduate/general-information/accreditation.htm

If it wasn't regionally accredited my package wouldn't be sitting at the board now, nor would TA or MGIB money work there.

dmamula

I went to a school (UMUC) full time (all online but there is a Campus in MD) to get my degree while I am enlisted in the Navy. Just a FYI my school does do full online and is regionally accredited. I also know a lot of sailors that received UMUC degrees and received Commission . So in regards to Online or not I don't think that matters. What type of degree, what accreditation and what classes you took probably matters more then if you sat down in a class or you sat down at your dinning room table.

Last edited:

fedman28

enlUSMC

Im not going to sit here and go back and forth with you over this, but I could have went to ITT Tech and my packet would be at the board right now, and you can use your TA and GI Bill at any school that has any accreditation. Believe what you want to believe. Or at least take the time to do some research on it first. Your link doesn't mean its regionally accredited, there is no board of "REGENTS"

fedman28

enlUSMC,

It should also tell you something that AMU does not require a GRE or GMAT for Graduate admissions? All State Universities and Colleges require a GRE or GMAT for Graduate admissions.

exNavyOffRec

acrjr718

I'd assume degrees from more prestigious universities would be given preference to some extent- just as with any other employer or admissions board.

psulaw0929

It would, a school doesn't have to be regionally accredited to submit, it just has to be accredited, so ITT, UOPHX, and other online schools are acceptable, of course they are low on the tier ranking, I think most are all listed as Tier 4.

I think @NavyOffRec is starting to get this topic back on track. I believe the original intent of the conversation was to see whether higher ranked schools were looked more favorably upon than lower ranked schools for the sheer fact that higher ranked schools are more difficult to get into and have more challenging academic programs based on the quality of the institution itself along with the standard set by the aptitude of the students chosen to attend them. Of course there are exceptions such as the guy whose dad bought his way into some good school or the girl who worked very hard to excel at some unknown school. And we all have our own subjective experiences to purport. But for the purposes of this discussions, let's try to be objective.

There are a number of different ranking companies but I believe that U.S. News and World Report is probably the most well known. For those of you unfamiliar with these rankings, as you can imagine, schools like Princeton, Harvard, and Yale appear at the top of the rankings and then there are schools that aren't even ranked that make up the bottom of the rankings. These rankings are published annually and are composed of a number of factors pertaining to admissions, test scores, employment following graduation, quality of the teaching staff, graduation rate, staff to student ratio, etc. While these rankings are usually questionable and arguable, we have to lend some credence to them and acknowledge that Harvard is probably a better and more challenging school than XYZ Community College. And we have to assume that schools, for the most part, fall somewhere in between the two extremes. We can also assume that individuals see value in attending higher ranked schools or people wouldn't pay $X00,000 to attend Harvard and $X,000 to attend XYZ Community College. (I did not attend Harvard, I'm just using it at as a paradigm).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities?int=9a3408

The sacrifices individuals have had to make along with the challenges they have had to overcome to complete higher education is certainly an important factor in the "whole person concept;" at least I think so, but I'm not on the Board. So if someone had to attend XYZ University (a hypothetically lower or unranked school) but excelled and did so while overcoming adversity, then I'm sure that would carry some weight, even if that weight made its appearance more in the Motivational Statement than on the GPA Calculation Sheet. I.e., overcoming that adversity is more indicative of a person's character rather than the quality (for lack of a better word) of their education. On the flip side, if someone earned their way into Harvard, surely you would expect the Board to look more favorably upon the quality of their education even if they may, perhaps, lack in other areas such as character. All of that being said, I would assume that most of us probably fall somewhere in the middle where we didn't go to an Ivy League school but we did the best we could in our circumstance. Some of us went to "better" schools and have that accolade and some of use overcame occupational or other challenges to obtain our degrees. And then there are some of us that did both and some of us that did neither.

In full disclosure, I have attended schools at all levels. I took classes on my ship through the AFLOAT program which is tied to Central Texas College. Central Texas College doesn't even show up in USNews's rankings. Then I got my undergraduate degree from a school who is listed as RNP, which means Rank Not Published, which means that it is a Tier 2 school. I was fortunate enough to be accepted to a Tier 1 law school. I can say that the minor leagues did not prepare me very well for the Big Leagues when my successful Tier 2 undergrad was put up against individuals from Tier 1 schools like Cornell (there were lots of Cornell grads at my law school for some reason). Because of that, I went from being at the top of the class in undergrad to middle of the class in grad school. I came out of undergrad with no debt and had around $250K in debt from grad school. I constantly wonder whether it would have been better for me to have gone to a lower ranked law school where I would have graduated with a higher GPA and paid a lot less money or whether it is better that I went to a top-tier law school where I had an average GPA and paid a fortune. I guess I'll never know but, that being said, I can understand why someone who went to a higher ranked school would be concerned with the board taking into consideration the quality of their education and I can see how someone who had to overcome a lot of adversity to finish their degree at a lower ranked school would hope that the board would favor that. Who knows what the board thinks or favors!

psulaw0929

Sorry for all the typos and grammatical errors, I should start editing my posts in Word and then cut and past them lol