• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point Paper/Letter Re: Aviation Greens.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I like the jacket-over combination on the left. Though needless to say this trend is catching like WILDFIRE!!!
Which explains why I've seen them everywhere amongst the JOs at Whidbey. Wait, no, I haven't. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm not sympathetic to the cause, but please step away from the Kool-Aid.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not that I'm not sympathetic to the cause, but please step away from the Kool-Aid.
Between the Greens campaign, the Cubi Cat, fighting with NAMI and getting back up to speed in the cockpit, I don't think Masterbates has had time to serve up any Kool-Aid.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Between the Greens campaign, the Cubi Cat, fighting with NAMI and getting back up to speed in the cockpit, I don't think Masterbates has had time to serve up any Kool-Aid.

Masterbates has earned more than the standard blurb stud NOB. I hope that his VT CO has the smarts to put some of this into his FITREP, even if it is a NOB. A good briefer can make that work in the tank.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
So I was doing some searching today, not for myself. . .for a friend. Anyway I typed "fat guy airplane" in the Google image search. . .you'll never guess who's picture popped up THREE TIMES on the first results page. . .:eek:

(Hint: He was modeling his AWG's...)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So I was doing some searching today, not for myself. . .for a friend. Anyway I typed "fat guy airplane" in the Google image search. . .you'll never guess who's picture popped up THREE TIMES on the first results page. . .:eek:

(Hint: He was modeling his AWG's...)

AWESOME. :D

Although I think those were self-captioned.

MasterBates

Okay, Proceedings wanted it bumped up 120ish words, and most-haste to make the September issue.

Here is what they had previously, the BOLD is what I added to beef it up.

Keeping The AWGs

Without question the return of Service Dress Khaki has been welcomed by many officers and has even begun to make waves among the ranks of Midshipmen and Officer Candidates. The return of Service Dress Khaki will display a dedication to the strong sense of tradition held by the Naval Service. That sense of tradition has prompted the authoring of this letter. While we welcome the return of the Service Dress Khaki, the retirement of another historic uniform has gone almost unnoticed. This uniform dates back to the beginning of Naval Aviation and is unfortunately slated for retirement with the introduction of the new Navy Working Uniform. I am referring of course to Aviation Working Greens.

The Aviation community has three historic and traditional uniform articles, the leather flight jacket, brown shoes, and Aviation Working Greens. While the leather flight jacket was introduced during the 1930’s, Aviation Working Greens date back to 1917, six years after the inception of Naval Aviation and just four years after the introduction of brown shoes. I mention the wearing of brown shoes in this case because it was not long ago that brown shoes were eliminated, only to be resurrected 9 years later. There is an opportunity here to save this historic and traditional uniform without retracing the steps of those who fought so hard to bring back brown shoes.

Of all the branches of the armed services the Naval Service by far has strongest sense of tradition. While the fate of AWGs may not matter to non-aviators, the sense of tradition they represent should be preserved. The retirement of Aviation Working Greens would amount to the retirement of a great Naval Aviation tradition.

There has recently been significant resurgence of interest in this historic uniform amongst the Aviation community. Today Aviation Working Greens are rarely worn, but they should remain an optional uniform rather than be phased out. Possible reasons for wear of the uniform include but are not limited to Squadron Duty Officer, or situations which require a more formal uniform than the Navy Working Uniform. To be frank, the Navy Working Uniform Blue Digital Camouflage is not an equivalent to Aviation Working Greens. One is utilitarian, and the other is a suit with a tie.

While the current round of uniform regulation revisions has been aimed at simplifying and reducing the cost of the Sea Bag for Sailors, the current de facto policy for the Aviation Working Green uniform is that those who choose to buy it and wear it do so. Those that do not desire to wear Aviation Working Greens have never been required to buy them in recent history. Keeping them as an alternate uniform, to be worn when Service Dress Khaki, Service Khaki, or Service Dress Blue would otherwise be worn is a fine way to uphold Naval traditions while keeping the cost of the Sea Bag reasonable. To further reduce cost the Leather Flight Jacket can be worn in lieu of the Aviation Working Green coat. The only additional items that are needed are the Aviation Working Green trousers, and either a green Garrison Cap or a Green Combination Cover. The rest of the components are part of other common uniforms shared with the Service Dress Blue uniform or Service Dress Khaki uniform.

To facilitate making the uniform more acceptable in joint and non-aviation commands, an easy change to the uniform regulations allowing wearing of the uniform as Aviation Service Green would have no additional cost. By the addition of ribbons, and wearing the uniform as Aviation Service Green, it would expand the occasions that Aviation Greens are suitable for when a more formal uniform is desired. Adding Aviation Service Green as an option would give those who wear the uniform more flexibility in where and when they can be worn.

The Naval Service has a rich history, one that any Sailor can be proud of. The history of this uniform would be a shame to lose. Recalling all those who have come before us in Naval Aviation, Presidents, Medal of Honor recipients, numerous other combat veterans, they all wore this uniform with pride and honor. It would be a tragedy to end that tradition. As we celebrate our Naval Heritage with the re-introduction of Service Dress Khakis, Aviation Working Greens should proudly remain a part of the Aviator’s Sea Bag.

MasterBates

If anyone has suggestions that are not a complete rewrite (looking for grammar help in the new stuff mostly) please post it. I need to fire this out Friday morning at the absolute latest.

AJB37

To be frank, the Navy Working Uniform Blue Digital Camouflage is not an equivalent to Aviation Working Greens. One is utilitarian, and the other is a suit with a tie.

I would remove this part. I don't think it fits well into the paragraph it is in, and it also comes off a bit hostile towards the Blue digital camouflage. I think it would be better to focus more on other uniforms that with tradition that are being brought back like the Service Dress Khakis, rather than be negative towards a new uniform.

Plus, because you are suggesting the uniform no longer be used as a working uniform you don't really need to compare AWGs to the Blue digis.

However, this is a suggestion from somebody who isn't even pro rec'd, so take this with a grain of salt.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Plus, because you are suggesting the uniform no longer be used as a working uniform you don't really need to compare AWGs to the Blue digis.

Concur with the paragraph before this statement. When it comes to the blue digis, I would make a quick statement about how the intent for wear of the blue digis does not fit the intent for wear of the AWG. Therefore, replacing them makes no sense. A statement of that nature can be used as a bridge to the "how to use" the AWG/ASG uniform.