• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO/SWO Rolling Board in February 2015

AttackCanary

Can anyone chime in on whether the navy cares about whether or not you have a PPL. I'd imagine they want to teach you to fly THEIR way.

I see day one of flight school going something like this:
"Raise your hand if you have a PPL, okay now everyone with your hands up, forget everything you know. We are going to teach you the navy way of flying."
... I'm fortunate enough to have a flight instructor who is a retired Naval Aviator. While I'm really still in the "master the basics" phase of things, he's promised to at least give me a glimpse of the "Navy way" once I've gotten a spot in an OCS class. I've flown with both him and other, non-military instructors and the style is definitely different.

I did not start taking flight lessons in order to strengthen my application. Once I had my first flight in my instructor's RV-8, I was completely hooked. 3 months later owned a little Cessna and have been working (though slowly after soloing) towards my PPL eversince.

Tosh Taylor

Can anyone chime in on whether the navy cares about whether or not you have a PPL. I'd imagine they want to teach you to fly THEIR way.

"Raise your hand if you have a PPL, okay now everyone with your hands up, forget everything you know. We are going to teach you the navy way of flying."
Only for selection does it matter, and even then only slightly. With anything you do there's going to be a learning curve, but I do not anticipate any difficulty transition to flying the Navy's way. It's all mind over matter.

Prior experience does help out a lot in primary from the people I've talked to. Just imagine going from no flight time to commercial in 6 months.

helidj

Just imagine going from no flight time to commercial in 6 months.

Tosh has a point. Going from zero flight experience to a commercial certificate in six months is very doable in the civilian flight training world but it is typically only accomplished by the best and most motivated. In the military world, it is basically forced upon you and if you can't keep up, you get the boot (at least that has been my impression).

I hope this conversation is keeping people entertained while we wait for the boards! I understand not everyone on here is applying for SNA/SNFO but I want to thank everyone for all their posts. Most comment boards are full of people picking at each others flaws and just being downright nasty. This one though seems to be full of professionals, which is good to see. Of course at times the honest comment has to be made, but it is typically done in a constructive fashion. Whether you are an SNA/SNFO hopeful like me, or SWO, Intel, EOD, or anything else, I wish you the best of luck!

JT88

Hey guys, just introducing myself. I put in my package for 1310 (SNA) about a month ago. I am currently enlisted and in Lemoore with VFA-146. Anxiously awaiting any news about the board as I am sure all of you are. Cheers

Ropel22

As far as I've heard, having a PPL is not an advantage (or disadvantage) in selection by any means (with a few exceptions). First of all, the Navy is looking for commitment to the Navy, not to being a pilot. If you have your PPL and you will not consider anything but being a Naval Aviator, then the Navy doesn't like that. Joining the navy for the sole purpose of becoming a pilot is not good enough for them, because there are other paths to becoming a pilot, and they need you willing to serve in the best way you can.

My uncle is a retired 0-5 naval aviator (Seahawk) and my cousin is currently an 0-3 naval aviator (Growler), both went through OCS. Neither of them had PPLs prior to OCS. According to them, if you have your PPL, they will advance you through PFI at a faster rate (1 year instead of 18 months). They basically skip about six months of ground school. This is great if you are an experienced pilot or learn very quickly, otherwise, it just increases your chances of getting the boot.

Basically, it is best to go in with no experience or a lot of experience. That isn't to say that people who have a little flight experience will always struggle, but it will be harder for them on average. If you have a lot of experience you just need to give a good answer as to why you want to be a Navy pilot above just being a pilot.

One time it would be an advantage to get a PPL is if you are reapplying after a prorec-n. Then it shows determination. I am reapplying and considered getting a PPL, but honestly it isn't in my budget, so I did not get my PPL.

Tosh Taylor

According to them, if you have your PPL, they will advance you through PFI at a faster rate (1 year instead of 18 months). They basically skip about six months of ground school.
PPL only validates IFS, which is only 6 weeks. You would still go to API and Primary with everyone though.

CuBs2105

So for those that still aren't sure whether the board happened, I found out for sure that it DID happen and I also know that the SWO will happen on 24 Feb. Good luck to everyone.