• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO/SWO Rolling Board in February 2015

bkos1207

I guess it's about time for me to join this party. My kit was submitted to the processors the other day so here's hoping for the best! FWIW, My recruiter also tells me there has been no board date set yet (at least for SNA). He assures me it will be some time in February. However, due to the rolling nature of the board, it can be announced with fairly short notice. He did assure me that my kit would go to this board, so I think we can all hold out hope that we didn't miss this one. For the folks that have been waiting months though, I can imagine you guys are chomping at the bit. Hang in there!

My kit was submitted to the processors the other day so here's hoping for the best! FWIW, My recruiter also tells me there has been no board date set yet (at least for SNA). He assures me it will be some time in February. However, due to the rolling nature of the board, it can be announced with fairly short notice. He did assure me that my kit would go to this board, so I think we can all hold out hope that we didn't miss this one.

My kit got submitted to the processors last week, so I hope your recruiter is right! Mine emailed me last night and still doesn't know when the SNA date is, but he seems optimistic about my kit making it into this month's board. Just gotta try to focus on my job and keep myself busy in the mean time.

helidj

Here's a random question. How many people, if any, got flight hours specifically for the purpose of applying for military aviation? I know that wasn't my plan when I first started flying helicopters and it really only became my plan as I got towards the end of my training.

Here's a random question. How many people, if any, got flight hours specifically for the purpose of applying for military aviation? I know that wasn't my plan when I first started flying helicopters and it really only became my plan as I got towards the end of my training.

For me it was more of a realization that I wanted to be a pilot during my second or third flight lesson. Then my goals organically turned towards military aviation for numerous reasons. I think I got in touch with my recruiter for the first time about 6 months after I got my PPL. I started flying more because I grew up in Alaska around lots of pilots and aircraft, and military aviation ended up becoming a natural career choice for me.

Tyler Houston

Not that new of a member
HELL YEAH! Born and raised Alaskan right here! And I concur with the above statement. Everyone and their dog has a PPL and a float plane, not to mention the massive Air Force base nearby...

Last edited:

KnightFlight

I love flying, but i started for the specific reason of strengthening my application.

CuBs2105

Don't have my pilots license but I flew as an in-flight evaluator as part my job as an avionics technician. It was a great way to see what our equipment really did and experience the operational side of it. It sparked an interest and I've been perusing it ever since.

mz247

Can I borrow anyone else's recruiter? Mine said in an e-mail she wouldn't be back until the 4th
Now her answering machine says the 10th 0.o

"Will check my phone and e-mail frequently" my butt!

Tosh Taylor

I was dead set on going civilian flying until I talked to a few friends going Navy OCS last January. By that time I was already a CFI working on CFII and ME. I did go flight instruct at the Naval Academy for the sole purpose of strengthening my application and seeing if it was going to be a good fit for me.

It was.

helidj

Can anyone chime in on whether the navy cares about whether or not you have a PPL. I'd imagine they want to teach you to fly THEIR way.

I see day one of flight school going something like this:
"Raise your hand if you have a PPL, okay now everyone with your hands up, forget everything you know. We are going to teach you the navy way of flying."

I actually agree with you that they very likely want it done the Navy way, which if you are joining the Navy you should plan on. I think it generally shows a commitment to the career and a love for flying. I have met a lot of people that love the idea of flying and then they get into it and realize how much work it is and how many procedures you have to go through before your wheels, or in my case skids, leave the ground.

Having said that, I don't think many of those people would get through the process of applying for OCS, as we all know that takes plenty of work as well.

bkos1207

I've always been involved with aviation. My dad's business is GA maintenance so I've been flying with our customers since I was little. The military side came in after seeing it firsthand at airshows and family friends. I always aspired to be part of the best. Realized I could make it happen near the end of college and here we are now.

KnightFlight

Can anyone chime in on whether the navy cares about whether or not you have a PPL. I'd imagine they want to teach you to fly THEIR way.

I see day one of flight school going something like this:
"Raise your hand if you have a PPL, okay now everyone with your hands up, forget everything you know. We are going to teach you the navy way of flying."
I am friends with a T6 FAIP, F15 Pilot, and F18 Pilot. The T6 FAIP is the only one that had his PPL prior and told me it only helps for maybe the first portion of training just because you are more comfortable in the cockpit and with the instruments. He also said he had to relearn everything the military way. The 2 fighter guys both had zero flight time but have told me it may be some sort of an advantage having experience. They also said they know folks who had their CFI and failed out of flight school.
From an application standpoint having a PPL shows your dedication to learning about flight. In the Navy it just looks a little better on the application, but your ASTB and GPA are what really matter. The Air Force literally adds points to your overall application score the more flight time you have.

I am friends with a T6 FAIP, F15 Pilot, and F18 Pilot. The T6 FAIP is the only one that had his PPL prior and told me it only helps for maybe the first portion of training just because you are more comfortable in the cockpit and with the instruments. He also said he had to relearn everything the military way. The 2 fighter guys both had zero flight time but have told me it may be some sort of an advantage having experience. They also said they know folks who had their CFI and failed out of flight school.
From an application standpoint having a PPL shows your dedication to learning about flight. In the Navy it just looks a little better on the application, but your ASTB and GPA are what really matter. The Air Force literally adds points to your overall application score the more flight time you have.

I will second what KnightFlight said. I spoke with a Lieutenant who's a former Navy instructor pilot who cautioned me against getting too many more hours than I already have because some of the more experienced pilots are too ingrained in their ways or stubborn and end up washing out. On the other side, there were students who had no flying experience and all flight school taught them was that they didn't want to fly. It's obviously different for everyone, and I imagine that as long as you're willing to learn the way they teach you, you should be fine.